Bass Opener and Sunday-June 25-26

jumbos

Well, the opener was not perfect weather foresure, but the smallies were on and I think most got there fill. I went out with a few friends, who have a boat house. I didn't want to deal with the ramp on opening day! They have a pontoon, and while I am not a big fan of owning one of these, I have to say for the conditions( which were rough) these boats handle the chop very very well. Limits were easy and fast but the average size is definitely getting smaller, however I did see a few biguns being landed though. A few Pic's from opener!
007.jpg

Sunday, I took out my mom, dad and son as the ramp was calmed down after the big rush on saturday. I Let the three of them do all the fishing and I was just the wheel/net man. Again the smallies put on a great show and everybody had a great time. My son had quite the fight with this sheephead and just goes to show he is a "chip off the old block" when it come to being a sheephead magnet;)
016-1.jpg

He also got a few good smallies as did mom and dad
015-1.jpg

Time for some eye's and bow's for this guy;)

Brian (Legend Man)

Great report, and, pics!!
One comment you made stands out in my mind..."the average size is getting smaller". Probably due to the fact that an unbelievable amount of bass are kept at Long Point. Considering how good a perch fishery we have overall, it, would really be nice to see the majority of these fish released. What would most people rather eat??? No brainer for me.
To each their own, though.

Last time I checked the limit for bass was 6, I don't see any issue with keeping a limit.

quote:
Originally posted by FRANKIE

Great report, and, pics!!
One comment you made stands out in my mind..."the average size is getting smaller". Probably due to the fact that an unbelievable amount of bass are kept at Long Point. Considering how good a perch fishery we have overall, it, would really be nice to see the majority of these fish released. What would most people rather eat??? No brainer for me.
To each their own, though.

Exactly...........It is not a wonder why the rest of Erie produces HUGE smallies yet the more fertile waters of Long Point fail to produce fish anywhere near it's potential. I personally avoid Long Point for the most part as IMO the fishery gets raped pretty hard and there are much better places to enjoy a day of pike, bass or perch fishing. Doesn't bother me much though, keep the massive harvest to the bay, I'll just fish elsewhere.

There is nothing wrong legally with keeping your limit of bass every time out, but if you enjoy the fun in catching #'s of large fish well then your just gonna be out of luck! Can't have it both ways unfortunatley. Myself, I'll stick to eating Gills, Pumpkinseeds, Crappies or Perch, leaving the true sportsfish to be enjoyed again by others.

Josh

quote:
Originally posted by Devin

Last time I checked the limit for bass was 6, I don't see any issue with keeping a limit.

Nope, well within an angler's rights. My only point was that if the fish are getting smaller on average, would it not make sense that some of this is due to the amount of fish kept on LPB?
Again congrats to Jumbos on an awesome day!!

just my 2 cents worth i go once a year to long point for bass opener
and thats the only time i go and i keep my limit but what i do want to say is i wish people would release the big ones because they are the best breeding stock keep the smaller ones they taste much better any ways all i heard on the radio saturday was we have our limit but were weeding out the small ones for some big guys to me this is just backwards . anyone who fishs regularly knows that a 4 lb walleye tastes better than a 8 pounder same with perch a 10 inch perch is far better than a 14 inch perch like i said just my oplnlon sorry for ranting .

quote:
Originally posted by GRIZZLY

just my 2 cents worth i go once a year to long point for bass opener
and thats the only time i go and i keep my limit but what i do want to say is i wish people would release the big ones because they are the best breeding stock keep the smaller ones they taste much better any ways all i heard on the radio saturday was we have our limit but were weeding out the small ones for some big guys to me this is just backwards . anyone who fishs regularly knows that a 4 lb walleye tastes better than a 8 pounder same with perch a 10 inch perch is far better than a 14 inch perch like i said just my oplnlon sorry for ranting .

Well said Grizzly!!

Now I say we stop hijacking this post.
The pics and smiles say it all! Great stuff!

Great photos Brian......agree that the average size is dropping but not sure if that is good or bad. Albert & I were out in the fog this morning....no problem getting our count (small average size) once we could see where we were.

The problem is not the fact you keep a few fish, it is the size of the fish. The fish in the picture will all be females. Keep the small ones, they are bettr eating as well, and let the bigger fish go. they are the spawners. saturday we released everything over a pound and kept a few eaters. people think throwing small fish back is the secret, in fact the exact opposite is true.

No question the bay is fished hard and smallies are very cooperative. Today with barbless hooks must have caught 30 from 1:00 pm to 3:30.
A group could sure take a lot of fish.
From the pics here it is hard to believe the average is getting smaller.
I also agree with Frankie and Grizzly and don't keep any bass over 15 "

quote:
Originally posted by Duck Soup

Great photos Brian......agree that the average size is dropping but not sure if that is good or bad. Albert & I were out in the fog this morning....no problem getting our count (small average size) once we could see where we were.

Ya it was a bit foggy this morning. The smaller size of the smallies seem to be following the same pattern as the smaller size perch in the inner bay. The big perch and big smallies are quickly becoming a deep water fishery, with the inner bay being a nursery for smaller perch and smallies. Same with the walleye off Burwell. Twenty years ago we could catch all kinds of walleye at 40-50 fow flatlining a canadian wiggler. Now 60-68 fow is more the norm with everything draging bottom in mid summer.

Brian (Legend Man)

Brian....check out this site to understand why the walleye are out deep in the Central Basin. Compliments of Icefisherman's research!
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=e&ext=swt&type=N&hr=00

quote:
Originally posted by Duck Soup

Brian....check out this site to understand why the walleye are out deep in the Central Basin. Compliments of Icefisherman's research!
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=e&ext=swt&type=N&hr=00

Ya Arnie, With the water so clear and the north winds pushing the warmer water to the us side the eye's will be far out. Hopefully we get some sw winds to warm up this side.

Brian (Legend Man)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks