Bait caster

Bay_Fishing

Finally gonna give a bait caster a try I have a 6"6 Abu Garcia black max rod with a black max reel. My question is what kind of line to use, what do you use and why. Are some line easier to un tangle than others from birds nest that are bound to happen. Thanks in advance for the info.

Start with cheap 15lbish mono IMO. It's much cheaper to learn with;) Once your somewhat proficient switch up to atleast 30lb braid. Anything too thin and you'll have issues with bedding and dealing with backslashes. I like power pro super slick as a decent priced, good performing line.

Josh

Use cheap heavy line heavier lure like spinner bait and don't cast into the wind until u get use to it

Definitely good advice iba, start with something heavy for sure, weighty spinnerbaits are perfect ;) Wind resistant baits and/or trying to cast into a breeze will lead to instant frustration..

Josh

all good advice. I would go with 20 lbs mono minimum, go out with a 1/2 - 3/4 oz bell sinker and practice. Make sure the reel is set up properly for the weight, and don't try casting really hard at the beginning. always remember to set up reel for the lure you put on to use.

Set up some flower pots in an arc as target points, peel off enough line to go 10 - 15 ft beyond and wrap the spool with electrical tape at that point. WHEN you get a professional over run it can only foul that deep. Ingnore the wife laughing at you as you stand on a kitchen chair in the back yard practicing in the snow!

Great advice from all! I will add to use your thumb and lightly feather the spool as the line comes off. This is like a brake and just slows the spool enough to stop the back lash. A very light touch of the line you will barely feel you touching it is all it takes.
I've been using my bait caster for over 20 years and still get the odd birds nest lol. Don't give up it's my casting rod every time! Once you get into it it's the only casting rod you will use.

To set up your reel, attach the lure/weight. Stand with the rod parallel to the ground. Hit the free spool button. Tighten or loosen the free spool knob to stop rotating just after the lure/ weight hits the ground. I agree with @Ingold Archery. Don't try casting hard. Start with lobbing.

Thanks for all The advice it's much appreciated. Now to start practising casting and untangling birds nest.

Those reels also have internal braking systems that can be adjusted so be sure to read the manual and set it to the max to start with. It's usually something you have to take the side plate off to adjust. The are often little tabs that pull in or out. At least on shimano they are.

Finally gonna give a bait caster a try I have a 6"6 Abu Garcia black max rod with a black max reel. My question is what kind of line to use, what do you use and why. Are some line easier to un tangle than others from birds nest that are bound to happen. Thanks in advance for the info.

Those reels also have internal braking systems that can be adjusted so be sure to read the manual and set it to the max to start with. It's usually something you have to take the side plate off to adjust. The are often little tabs that pull in or out. At least on shimano they are.
Don't cheap out on line even if it's just practice. There is a HUGE difference in 5 dollar line vs 25 dollar line. I would start with what you plan to fish usually braid 20 to 50 pound. Go with suffix or power pro bass pro also has a decent hone brand. Use heavier lures to start and keep brakes tight until your comfortable. Set up is easy hold rod at 10 o'clock and let line out slow. Once it hits ground and spool stops your set up OK. Start there

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks