Auto Pilot

Jetdog

Installing 9.9hp mercury kicker motor next year. Such thing is auto pilot to control steering of kicker motor?

garmin tr1 gold is a stand alone kicker autopilot, runs as much as a brand new outboard, this is why i have an ez-steer for the time being.

now if you have a boat with a shorter gunnel to water dimension were an electric trolling motor could be used on your bow , an i pilot could be used to steer your craft while under power from the kicker.

garmin tr1 gold is a stand alone kicker autopilot, runs as much as a brand new outboard, this is why i have an ez-steer for the time being.

now if you have a boat with a shorter gunnel to water dimension were an electric trolling motor could be used on your bow , an i pilot could be used to steer your craft while under power from the kicker.
This is what I do, works great , until batteries loose power, but you should have 6 hours of good trolling before you have any issues with battery life. It only really stuggles if the wind and waves kick up. On a nice condition day, battery life is not an issue at all.

I installed a Lowrance cable steer auto pilot on my 20' Legend this spring. It steers my 150 merc main and through a tie rod my 9.9 pro kicker. I bought the components at Angling Outfitters and Calvin Martin in Port Burwell did a fantastic job installing everything including a new Lowrance HDS Gen2 Touch which I needed for the auto pilot. I used the system on about 25 trips out on the lake running from 40 mph cruise speed down to 1.5 mph trolling worm harnesses. I tried using my Xi5 Motor Guide last season for steering but if there was any chop greater than 3 feet it would come out of the water. The Lowrance auto pilot system is excellent.

I agree with you @Bill_2014 , if you have a Lowrance gen 2 thats the way to go !! I will be putting one on this winter . Did the I Pilot thing as well, Its OK.... but limited .Most of the time it was facing the wrong way trying to overcome waves it couldn't handle

Back