Fishing Report Aug 20th Elbow report

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well the day didn’t disappoint us with a few issue with the downriggers. I use the Scotty downrigger weight retriever to pull the cannon ball close for line hook up. It got wedged on the cannon ball clip and as I lowered the ball it stopped but the rigger kept going causing the cable to birds nest ????. I had tight kinks in the cable which now I had hand spool out the cable to get to good cable. Had to cut out approx 15’ of cable. This bull$hit happened to both riggers????

Ran 8 lines behind the boat with only the dipsy’s saving the day. On the boards I ran 4,6,8 colour lead core lines with spoons and Yaleye lures. Downriggers up and down from 35’ to 55’with Yaleye lures. Dipsy’s #3 setting and one at 135’ and the other at 155’ with Yaleye lures.

Kept checking the riggers with the occasional walleye being dragged. But by far the Dipsy’s out performed the rest of my setup.

Overall for the exceptional windless day on the water we came in with 16 with one just over 8lbs and a couple in the 5-6 lb range.

A16B0CE7-DB54-4650-893A-2230C25381A9.jpeg31BFE35C-8317-480A-83A9-C19399962087.jpeg

I almost did that to @Wave Runner 's Walker downrigger @Three Bouys ... any slack whatsoever in that cable can mean big trouble and the Walkers don't act like do the Cannons with which I'm more familiar. Glad to see you put some fish in the boat anyway ? .

I almost did that to @Wave Runner 's Walker downrigger
Almost... Yeah steel cable becomes Slinky if it spools off loosely due to operator error. No problem Stomp fortunately we caught it just in time before it turned into a disaster. Darren almost did the same thing the other day when he pulled the ball wanting a little more cable he tried at 200 ft. per minute which doesn't work to well when holding the ball out of the water. ?

That's a sweet ride... Gear issues on the water are not fun... Probably why i stick with my old Walker manuals...

Brother I feel your pain I had my Scotty hps almost do the same thing Sunday morning, great to see nanticoke still doing well !!

Yes, more walleye anglers are switching to 100% dipsey's running two or three off each side using different settings. Personally I'm not convinced that is the way to go. It may work OK on larger heavier boats that track well but I have my doubts about it's application with typical fishing boats. I was out with South Coast Charters a few years back and it seemed to work that day excepting the outside lines caught almost all the fish.

We're still doing well North of elbow as well but all I've been running is lead cores off the big boards. It's not my favorite method but I find that it's just easier to keep things under control with 'less seasoned' anglers if we're not running a bunch of different setups. Once they learn how to set the line and put the clip on, the guys can do it themselves without a lot of help.

Anyway, after a week or so off, we got our 4 man limit on Friday afternoon in about 2-1/2 hours and our 3 man last night in well under 2 hours fishing in 75-100 fow. Most fish are around 20" with a few 26-27" ones mixed in and and quite a few smaller ones too that go back in for next year. Both ripplin redfins and spoons (greasy chicken has been best) have produced well on 6,7,8 colour cores. The old faithful blue and chrome redfin has not done too well this year, the darker colours have been better with the 'walleye' coloured one (which usually sucks) being the best.

IMG_20190820_1711299.jpg

Nice brother !! Hoping to get out this weekend as well sounds like they’re going deeper just as I was suspecting at this time of year !!

Well the day didn’t disappoint us with a few issue with the downriggers. I use the Scotty downrigger weight retriever to pull the cannon ball close for line hook up. It got wedged on the cannon ball clip and as I lowered the ball it stopped but the rigger kept going causing the cable to birds nest ????. I had tight kinks in the cable which now I had hand spool out the cable to get to good cable. Had to cut out approx 15’ of cable. This bull$hit happened to both riggers????

Ran 8 lines behind the boat with only the dipsy’s saving the day. On the boards I ran 4,6,8 colour lead core lines with spoons and Yaleye lures. Downriggers up and down from 35’ to 55’with Yaleye lures. Dipsy’s #3 setting and one at 135’ and the other at 155’ with Yaleye lures.

Kept checking the riggers with the occasional walleye being dragged. But by far the Dipsy’s out performed the rest of my setup.

Overall for the exceptional windless day on the water we came in with 16 with one just over 8lbs and a couple in the 5-6 lb range.

View attachment 17314View attachment 17315

Just looking for some vague info about this fishing. I was out there yesterday with the brother-in-law in his smoker craft (white/maroon) and fished with dipsys from about 60' to 100' working towards. Setting 2 about 130 out... Had 2 knock offs, but found it odd to never mark any fish. Is that normal? Obviously you know what you're doing....any advice?

Just looking for some vague info about this fishing. I was out there yesterday with the brother-in-law in his smoker craft (white/maroon) and fished with dipsys from about 60' to 100' working towards. Setting 2 about 130 out... Had 2 knock offs, but found it odd to never mark any fish. Is that normal? Obviously you know what you're doing....any advice?

Where did you launch from ? What was the surface temp you had ? Marking any bait ? Lots of factors and sometimes just before a storm they’re very active and sometimes it’s the other way they’re completely shut down

Boat kept in "inner Bay Marine" at St Williams. Surface temp was 74-76 says B/inlaw. Was trolling south towards light house from roughly 9 - 12...think you actually might have been about a km behind us.
Nothing marked at all...

Boat kept in "inner Bay Marine" at St Williams. Surface temp was 74-76 says B/inlaw. Was trolling south towards light house from roughly 9 - 12...think you actually might have been about a km behind us.
Nothing marked at all...

I don’t know much about that area sorry brother I fish by nanticoke and sometimes out by port maitland but it sounds like a dead spot in the water , any other boats around you guys ? Hopefully someone from that side replies helps you , what where you using ? How fast where you trolling ?

Trolling speed was 2.5 - 3 mph.. One with ripplin redfin.. One wirh spoon (can't recall name) essage intended for "three bouys", but might have pooched that

Trolling speed was 2.5 - 3 mph.. One with ripplin redfin.. One wirh spoon (can't recall name) essage intended for "three bouys", but might have pooched that

I'm not sure what others are finding but I have been running 3.2-3.5 lately and under 3 things seem to slow down. That all depends on your lure of course but the redfins and spoons seem to work well at the higher speeds right now. I haven't really worried about seeing fish on the sonar lately, if you find bait there always seems to be fish around it.

Hey pal I was out yesterday right in same area and found we had to work harder then usual... I found large areas where graph was blank and then I’d find some bait balls and hooks... I ended up staying only at 45-50 feet but like I said it was a lot slower for us... we probably should have went deeper....

Yeah, I guess there is an obvious learning curve as with a little luck... Just found it odd to mark nothing all day... Maybe I'll play with his sonar a bit.. It shows travel paths, so trolling lines should be able to be broken down

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks