Fishing Report Aug 13 - Nanticoke

vmuravin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Took my friends, a family of 4, on my boat yesterday, started trolling around 5:30 pm after the shoal, in about 65 fow, until about 7:30 pm. Lots of fish marked all over. Second time I was the only pseudo-senior fisherman on my boat. Was originally planning to have 6 rods, 4 downrigger and 2 planers. Never got a chance to even unpack the planers. In 15 minutes after start, all 4 downrigger rods brought a walleye and I had decided to leave it at this :) . Total catch - 11 walleyes (2.2kg largest), 1 rainbow, 1 steelhead. Mostly on worm rigs down the bottom. The greasy chicken lure, which in my last update was a salmon superstar on Lake O, brought 2 walleyes and a steelhead.1565795700036.png1565795866885.png1565795882895.png

Nice shootin! Interesting you say a Rainbow and a Steelhead as they're essentially the same fish. Was the 'Rainbow' clearly a domestic mutt or a round finned cage escapee from Lake Huron?

Josh

I honestly don't know, Josh. I was told by my senior fishing buddy that it is a bow. I will ask again...

Bow, Rainbow, Steelie, Steelhead are all commonly used terms to describe the same fish. The names are generally interchangeable ;) exact same species tho. Most great lakes strains originated from transplants of true Steelhead (ocean going river spawners) from the west coast. Though there are some domesticated 'mutt' Rainbows planted by some states as well as being used in aquaculture operations.

Josh

Ah okay... :) good to know. Certainly that rainbow looks different than that rainbow from Parry Sound, but I am glad that it was a good fishing trip.

Most of those Parry Sound fish are indeed the Aquaculture escapees from Depot Harbour. They will all have imperfect fins from being crowded in the pens. Those fish tend to retain a little more of the pinkish hue all season long when compared to more pure strain Steelies that are pure chrome with a dark back. Though once a Steelhead begins to colour up they're pretty well impossible to tell apart.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks