Article on proposed live bait changes

Such bullshit. Where did all the invasive species come from besides the ballast of freighters.

Just reading the actual proposal and it still has the emerald shiner on the list so maybe it's just the area where the bait shop was being interviewed

Either way it's going to stop anyone harvesting minnows in a stream and using them anywhere else which is depressing for me lol

LOL, do any of you really believe that Wynne knows the difference between an emerald shiner and a sucker? It would be a fair bet that she has no idea what is being proposed, she leaves that up to the minister responsible and the so called experts advising him or her. It really doesn't matter which political party is in power, they would all be looking at this based on the recommendations of those so called experts. All the premier would do is sign whatever was put in front of them. That said, some of what I read is already taking place, ie I cannot use my net to catch minnows in Lake Erie at Pt Bruce (Zone 19), and then take them alive for use inland at Fanshawe Dam, Springwater, or any other body of water, nor could I use them alive in Lake Huron (Zone 13,) Georgian Bay (Zone 14), Lake Ontario (Zone 20) or the Thames River in London (Zone 16) However, currently as I understand it, I can buy them for example at Angling Sports in London and use them anywhere I have mentioned.

If I am understanding what I have heard and read, what they are trying to do is stop that from happening. Whether you catch them yourself or buy them they want you to use them in the area you caught or bought them, they don't want you to catch or buy them then transport them alive to another area to use as live bait. But apparently it's ok to use them if they're dead.

It could be a whole lot worse you know, I lived in the NWT and Alberta combined for 23 years and use of live bait fish was prohibited period. At least in Ontario they still allow it.

That's the problem with all politicians tho. They ALL do what they can because they can, not because they should. They all seem to have forgotten who they work for.

If live baitfish are taken off the table as being legal the economic implications would be pretty significant for many businesses involved in sport fishing/ tourism.

Wait until they bump the minimum wage up to $15 and your grocery bill triples. Thousands of people will be terminated without cause.

This government has failed the people of Ontario on so many levels that incompetence does not even begin to decribe it.

I'm very disappointed that my leisure sport is under attack, some weeks it's the only thing I look forward to.

I feel personally attacked. Anyways hope common sense prevails but haven't seen much of that.

"However, currently as I understand it, I can buy them for example at Angling Sports in London and use them anywhere I have mentioned."

Correct...taxes will be paid on those minnows.

june 8 2017 ,there is a meeting with m.n.r in London Bestwestern inn,over these issues, but sure its all a one sided conversation ,(were gonna be told not asked), so if anyone wants to attend be there,,my big consern as a harvester they want the power to suspend or revoke licence from us any time they want and for go dew prosses of the court system.

Last edited:
Yeah looks like misinformation in that article. My biggest concern is that our own live bait basically can not be caught even in the same watershed which is ridiculous IMO. This proposal is open for comments still so I encourage anyone to at least say your piece to them before June 27 I think it closes to comment.

we should have charged mc guinty with crimes against tax paying ontarions and jailed both of them and use their big fat pensions to help fix their zzzzzzz

june 8 2017 ,there is a meeting with m.n.r in London Bestwestern inn,over these issues, but sure its all a one sided conversation ,(were gonna be told not asked), so if anyone wants to attend be there,,my big consern as a harvester they want the power to suspend or revoke licence from us any time they want and for go dew prosses of the court system.
hey Brian---can you fill us in with a report after the meeting??? would be interesting to hear what went down

hey Brian---can you fill us in with a report after the meeting??? would be interesting to hear what went down
Hey Gord I was hoping you would go so you could fill me in on what's happening.
I wanna watch the hockey game. LOL!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks