Are the channels frozen

Ferg JR

Anyone no is the channels are frozen ether at booths or old cut. I was wondering about taking the boat out Monday or am I just wasting my time. Thanks Ferg Jr.

Since the Ice Fishing down at Long Point looks like it is not going to be Happening this Winter,(it will be my first time in over 30 year`s that I have not fished the Hard Water Season on the Bay,and I missed it a lot)[:(!],I was also just wondering how Early in the Season anyone has put a Boat in at Long Point over the year`s.There are going to be a lot of Hungry Perch & Pike to be caught,once the Soft Water Season does arrive.8DThanks for the update wads44 & drop me a line,on how the launch/Bay have been shaping up.Please,anyone else that live in the area,keep as Boater`s updated,on the Ice Conditions,as the Bay does eventually open up. Thank-You In Advance.;)

RED FISH

Thank-You for the very recent update drop me a line.Good Luck!;)

RED FISH

was just looking at my log book,THE EARLYEST DAY fishing from my boat was in 2009,larry aka green baren & i were ice fishing on march 16th on march 19 2009 i was fishing bulf bar on my boat<some may remomber my pic"s of the ice burgs....looked like i was some were in newfoundland,,,lol:D...we see what tomorrow brings,,hope to have more info tomorrow eve!!!!! cannot find pic!

Thanks for the info drop me a line.WOW!! March 16/2009 you & Larry aka green baron were Ice Fishing,and March 19,2009 3 days later both of you were on your boat way out at Bluffs Bar.It apparently does not take long for the Ice to dissipate,once it starts the melting process.Hopefully this year it will also be sooner then later for the Open Water Season.Good Luck tomorrow if you happen to get out.I,and surely other`s,can`t wait to read your next report. Good Luck & Be Safe.8D

RED FISH

Old cut is now frozen again

Dan B.

www.Fish-A-Thon.com

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_100_1368.jpg
187931_111125182274045_2211041_n.jpg

Thanks elevatorman for the update.I know that it is still quite early for the Boating Season,but Cabin Fever this year is Hitting me Hard,due to the non existing Hard Water Season on the Bay.Perhaps a trip up North,(Ice Fishing)will cure this Fever of mine.8D

RED FISH

well we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Dyour right the cold temps last night re-froze the old cut,but big creek was open,launched the boat,water temp in creek was 38% set out trolling for pike,not 15 minutes in phone rings,my friend brent spotted me and had to ask what a fool ,only you, he said, lol! well we trolled for a bit, no luck lots of weeeeeeds.tryed to head for ec10,got cut off by ice flows nothing bad ,anchored up in 8ft of water at 34%,no fish,,,but it was friggen beautful out there,,,not bad for february :D :D

ill assume the lack of ice, which usually kills off the weeds, means we'll be seeing a weedier than normal bay this year?

Hi All.
Ch312. The ice doesn't kill the weeds. Just as the leaves fall off the trees in Autumn the weeds receed to. Water temperature and sunlight or more acurately lack thereof is the culprit.

Cheers, Clark

quote:
Originally posted by drop me a line

well we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Dyour right the cold temps last night re-froze the old cut,but big creek was open,launched the boat,water temp in creek was 38% set out trolling for pike,not 15 minutes in phone rings,my friend brent spotted me and had to ask what a fool ,only you, he said, lol! well we trolled for a bit, no luck lots of weeeeeeds.tryed to head for ec10,got cut off by ice flows nothing bad ,anchored up in 8ft of water at 34%,no fish,,,but it was friggen beautful out there,,,not bad for february :D :D

Got to like that. You answered alot of questions about what is going on out there, that being, are the perch out there when there is no ice cover.

Brian (Legend Man)

Been researching that ice question and it appears that the ice and more importantly the snow cover on it allows less sunlight therefore hampering weed growth. Also lack of ice on all the Great Lakes allows for more water to evaporate meaning lower lake levels. It also seems to affect plankton growth which of course fish need to feed on. Something to do with the timimg of fry to available food ?

As for the marsh itself ? I have seen the ice damage[retard] the growth on the outside[bayside] edge sometimes shearing the weeds off at the water[ice]line. Like last year we had some pretty nasty east winds/storms that pushed alot of crap back into the marsh which just adds to shoreline material but it seems the high water we expierenced helped keep the weeds[seaweeds] down to a minumum.

With the warmer water that we are having it makes you wonder how it will affect the fish and their biological clocks ?

quote:
Originally posted by Old Cut LongPointer

Been researching that ice question and it appears that the ice and more importantly the snow cover on it allows less sunlight therefore hampering weed growth. Also lack of ice on all the Great Lakes allows for more water to evaporate meaning lower lake levels. It also seems to affect plankton growth which of course fish need to feed on. Something to do with the timimg of fry to available food ?

As for the marsh itself ? I have seen the ice damage[retard] the growth on the outside[bayside] edge sometimes shearing the weeds off at the water[ice]line. Like last year we had some pretty nasty east winds/storms that pushed alot of crap back into the marsh which just adds to shoreline material but it seems the high water we expierenced helped keep the weeds[seaweeds] down to a minumum.

With the warmer water that we are having it makes you wonder how it will affect the fish and their biological clocks ?

Don t know about the fish but I do know how its affecting my "clock":D

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Hi all.
I have lived in and fished around Inuvik, yellowknife and Red Lake. The lakes all had weeds although I couldn't tell you what they were called. The weeds were present in all locations in every season. Diminished in february through ice as thick as six feet with six feet of snow but still there. The fish were still there too!

A quick google of Perch spawning makes for interesting reading as well.

Cheers, Clark

Was at long point today. the only ice was in the very back of channels. the rest of the lake was wide open including ramps

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks