Off Topic Anybody purchase self propelled lawnmowers ?

Huron

Looking to buy new lawn mower self propelled so many out there. Anybody got any first hand use or comment on theirs.? Huron. Thanks .

This Toro is pricey but would be a terrific alternative to a gas mower. Just eliminating the gas, oil and the noise would be a big plus IMO. It has a high-performance brushless DC motor, Personal Pace Rear-Wheel Drive and will mow up to a 1/3 acre on a single charge.

Looking to buy new lawn mower self propelled so many out there. Anybody got any first hand use or comment on theirs.? Huron. Thanks .
I got tricked into buying a self propelled lawn boy in 1989. Thing has been nothing but trouble had to replace the blade twice the drive belt once muffler just last year.
have to service it every year countless air filters SAE30 oil by the gallon new spark plug every 5-7 years. Just never ends.

Honda electric key start with bag or mulch built in with a lever. No choke, no ball to pump starts every time. 1620393542299.png

I have both Honda and Toro.
The Toro I love because it has a bigger cutting swath(deck) than the Honda. But that Honda is solid too. It was packed away in the shed for last 3 years. The wife doesn't like the Toro. Last summer she surprised me by cutting the grass while I was in hospital. I saw the different width cut and asked her who cut the grass? One of the neighbours? She said NO she did it with the mower. I asked which one and she said the Honda. Filled up the gas tank and pulled it. On second pull it started

Both are great units!

Buy a rear drive propelled one if you can, I have a front propelled one, it works OK, but when you lift to turn, you loose a bit of traction, and if you have a rear bagger on, the weight lifts the front a bit too, again less traction. Either way, beats pushing one!
Thanks , That's something all keep in mind . P.S. I'll buy the mower in town and not at a big box store .Huron.

I like them and have used for years at home where I have a fairly big yard. At my cottage on the point I actually have found I prefer a standard no-drive. The yard is small and kind of broken up with plantings. I end up cutting almost as much pulling it back as moving forward. With the self propelled often the transition from forward to back is not so easy and involves disconnecting the drive. If you can cut 90% of the lawn in forward mode they are great.

...bought a craftsman self propelled at Lowes last August...was a 750 mower on sale for 450...so far so good with it..you can adjust it to your pace by the self propelled lever..(I can't walk so fast anymore 'cause I'm an old bastard....)..Whatever you by make sure you have this feature..buddy bought a Home Depot mower...you push the lever and it takes off...he has to run to keep up with it....he's 73...

My Toro front drive self propelled is 20 years old and never needed anything more than plugs and filter and occasional cable adjustments and sharpening. I did break a rear wheel last year too. Starts every year and runs great!

I got tricked into buying a self propelled lawn boy in 1989. Thing has been nothing but trouble had to replace the blade twice the drive belt once muffler just last year.
have to service it every year countless air filters SAE30 oil by the gallon new spark plug every 5-7 years. Just never ends.

My Aunt Dorothy (late) in Arnstein had a Lawn Boy.

Not sure if self propelled, but it saw no love from anybody. It sat outside under a big wash tub 12 months of the year, always started on first pull, and you could always tell where it was running by the big blue cloud around it. LOL

Last edited:
Hvyhaul if anybody says you should be hung for having your wife cut the grass, say I am thats why she is cutting the grass.

I don't care what anyone thinks, but I like the angle. LOL

The post was tongue in cheek and if my wife wants to cut the grass, who am I to tell her no.

I do have that mower though.

I had a honda commercial for 20 years was used when i got it. very heavy . Purchased a toro gas self propelled electric start . Figured as shoulders give out great idea and also my wife could if she needed to start it easily . I have never had to bag the clippings its mulches extremely fine and saves huge on extra work . The drive goes faster the harder you can push very nice. Have zero regrets and know it will last many years. The deck has a huge warranty also . Purchased from Dales in Belmont

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks