Any suggestions? Ran out of gas. Drifting between Pottahawk and Bluff bar.

People & people.

I ran out of gas in a small dingy on Simcoe lake few years ago year at 8PM, just before dark.
Was first time in my life driving a gas motor.
Got too excited and I did not know well the motor (consumption), power, range.
In my case was a little bit easier, I was able to paddle the dingy.
However I saw a couple with SeaDoo that just went home in their backyard, parking two speedy SeaDoo.
So I paddle there, you know a Seadoo eat gas like a elephant, I was in need of just 400g-600g of gas (not even a liter, my motor was a 2.3Hp Honda).
I did explained my trouble and ask for gas (less than a liter), the answer was NO, after I asked twice. I left paddling, swearing in my mind.
They can burn gas in a SeaDoo but can't give away a little gas.

I took me two hours to go back half (around 4km from a total of 8km) the distance to the launching point.
I was exhausted and with blister, even I had gloves.
The wind changed and was blowing straight into my face.
Went again close to shore to find some one more generous.
Find some individuals on shore that offered me a gas container with 25L in it and asked me to top it up.
They did not asked for money or anything else.
I just needed at that point maybe 200grams. I filled my built in tank with the capacity of 900g(0.9L) like half, I said thank you and went into the dark. I had all the time a GPS, cell phone with me and I was close to shore.

Next summer, I went back and paid back with a nice bottle of brandy for that 500grams of gas. They deserve it.

As I said: people & people.

Boaters in the bay are great. I have been towed in 3 times this season and they would not accept any compensation. Why I broke down so many times is another story! Overheating think I got it fixed now!
I plan on being more diligent on helping others. What is the best rig (rope) setup for towing ? The ski loop looks good but not strong enough.

Back