Another wind event for Long Point and area

Old Cut LongPointer

Wow ! Another howler for the Point ! Different weather sites posting info but overall winds are approx. 60 gusting to 90 km/h . Hang in there gang supposedly the worst is over and it should calm down overnight.

According to Environment Canada's site, it's still blowing WSW 30 gusting 41 here in London, but it's supposed to shift and start coming out of the West and pick up over night to 40 gusting 70 and snow again maybe with squalls. YAY......What fell last night and today was too wet and heavy for me to shovel, and it clogged my blower too many times to count, but after several colorful words, and multiple times unclogging it, it did eventually get the job done before my wife got home.

Ended up doing our driveway twice yesterday. The temps moved above freezing after supper, changing the snow to mist/rain and the &%#@ing plow went by about the same time so got everything done with the blower before it got too heavy.

I'll have to do it again this morning to clean up last night's continued fall. Trust it's snow the blower will move.

I hear you @hvyhaul ... the city plow filled the end of my driveway in #Londontown with a few hundred pounds of slush about 11:00 p.m. . I headed right out and my trusty Toro, single-stage, environment-destroying, not-legal-in-California, two-stroke, PowerClear blower, which, thankfully, was able to pick up the watery slop and move it. Now, sadly, my machine and me aren't made for clearing out all the drives of my neighbours. They are now facing chipping away at huge frozen walls of ice boulders this morning.
20200119_094314.jpg20200119_094256.jpg

Ooopha. :eek: That's gonna suck cleaning that stuff up.

Minor shovelling and sidewalk salting here this morning.

All that's left is to clean off the bird feeders. Must keep my residents (4 Cardinal pairs) among others happy. ?

I hear you @hvyhaul ... the city plow filled the end of my driveway in #Londontown with a few hundred pounds of slush about 11:00 p.m. . I headed right out and my trusty Toro, single-stage, environment-destroying, not-legal-in-California, two-stroke, PowerClear blower, which, thankfully, was able to pick up the watery slop and move it. Now, sadly, my machine and me aren't made for clearing out all the drives of my neighbours. They are now facing chipping away at huge frozen walls of ice boulders this morning.
View attachment 20173View attachment 20174
@stomp my lower back is still a little sore this morning after manually shoveling that hundreds of pounds of slush yesterday morning here in London as well!! So,you have a Toro snowblower :unsure: & that’s good to know,my good friend,and my not so far away neighbour. :whistle:;) lol:ROFLMAO: PS by the way,a nice looking house that you have there!! :oops:o_O ??

Ended up doing our driveway twice yesterday. The temps moved above freezing after supper, changing the snow to mist/rain and the &%#@ing plow went by about the same time so got everything done with the blower before it got too heavy.

I'll have to do it again this morning to clean up last night's continued fall. Trust it's snow the blower will move.

Saturday, my neighbor came by with his gas powered blower, (which is a little bigger than my electric Snow Joe) and cleared out where we park the car in front of my truck sometime after my wife left and I woke up again (shhhhhhh lol.) Then I went out with mine and did it again in the afternoon along with my neighbors on either side of us after property management went through with the plow and undid all that most people in here had already done on their own, either with a shovel or a blower (which is normal and it pisses everyone off every year multiple times because they don't wait for people to leave for work in the mornings, they'll go through at 3 or 4 am and put piles of snow half way to window height up people's car doors and then they can't get out, (he buried my truck Saturday) or they fill in what everyone has done on their own) and then Sunday morning before anyone in the complex had woke up, they went through and did it again when it wasn't necessary. Then there's the days when it is more than necessary ie like it was Saturday, but they don't go through with the plow at all. Then they wonder why people in here get pissed with them. (Of course it does depend on which one of the property management guys is doing it. The older one knows what he's doing, the younger one, not so much and he's usually the one everyone gets pissed off at.)

Just luv Monday mornings after a snowfall. :mad:

View attachment 20184

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. Did ya have to crawl under a trailer and use a hammer on the brakes tho :ROFLMAO: It's been just under 6 years now since I got hurt and told I can't do it anymore, and while I still very much miss it, I DO NOT miss having to crawl under a trailer to smack frozen brakes with a mallet, nor do I miss the joys of a frozen 5th wheel or having to use Ether to get the truck started. :nailbiting::inpain::banghead:?

Last edited by a moderator:
@stomp my lower back is still a little sore this morning after manually shoveling that hundreds of pounds of slush yesterday morning here in London as well!! So,you have a Toro snowblower :unsure: & that’s good to know,my good friend,and my not so far away neighbour. :whistle:;) lol:ROFLMAO: PS by the way,a nice looking house that you have there!! :oops:o_O ??
This is the blower I have Red. My parents gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago because of my back issues. Works great unless the snow is super wet and heavy. It tends to clog a bit now and then when it is, but if you use half the width instead of the entire width in that situation it won't clog up (or at least that's what I've found anyways) and it doesn't go through that super hard icy compacted stuff either that a plow might leave behind. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues with it, and after I got mine, several other people in the complex where I live went out and got one too :ROFLMAO:
1579527332467.png

I actually thought of you when I posted the picture @Trevor M lol. Figured it would bring back fond memories. :ROFLMAO:

I'm the only one driving the tractor, and I parked the unit loaded Friday, so nope, everything was just fine.

I've done ice roads so I get the effects of cold.

When I was on ice, it wasn't anything like the TV show by the way. Almost lost a television first time I saw that show. LOL

I actually thought of you when I posted the picture @Trevor M lol. Figured it would bring back fond memories. :ROFLMAO:

I'm the only one driving the tractor, and I parked the unit loaded Friday, so nope, everything was just fine.

I've done ice roads so I get the effects of cold.

When I was on ice, it wasn't anything like the TV show by the way. Almost lost a television first time I saw that show. LOL

Fond memories, or nightmares ???

I hear ya. I've been on a few different ice roads in the NWT in a truck and I know the speed limit on any of them no matter whether they're going over a lake, river or land is 30km/hr, no exceptions, and they monitor them quite heavily. There's a big difference between "made for tv" and reality.

Now, that said, I personally know Alex Debogorski from "Ice Road Truckers." I briefly dated one of his daughters in high school when I lived in Yellowknife, and I was friends with her now husband and his sister. I actually keep in touch with them on Facebook. I know Alex's wife, where his house in Yellowknife is (was) most of his 11 kids, and sadly that includes his son Andrew who passed away a little over a year ago and I've had a beer or two with Alex at the Gold Range, Sam's Monkey Tree (a bar and restaurant where I used to work) or in another bar that no longer exists in Yellowknife called the Gallery, and I can tell you with 100% certainty and accuracy, the way he is on the tv show, what you see is what you get. THAT IS Alex. He is a VERY religious man and he's the nicest guy you could ever meet. Would give you the shirt off his back in -50 if you needed it more than he does, and although it takes a lot to do it, you don't want to piss the man off or get on his bad side.

Last edited by a moderator:
beauty mornin here on the carribean cartagena..a little cloudy 25 degrees..with a light fog earlier off the very calm sea..high temp today 31..
very enjoyable tropical climate to live in :)

beauty mornin here on the carribean cartagena..a little cloudy 25 degrees..with a light fog earlier off the very calm sea..high temp today 31..
That's just plain mean @mick! LOL. Enjoy!

That's my neighbour's house @Red Hering... my place is a dump

@mick I hope that you get a bad case of “sunburn!!” lol :ROFLMAO: ?????‍♂️ ???:cool:

Last edited:
Good grief @stomp, Hope your neighbour is still talking to you ?. I did 14 hrs plowing Saturday and another 7 hrs on Sunday. The first phrase is for you @stomp

E59A7F1D-A474-4A91-96D2-46DD36F32758.jpeg

C637119D-CB85-4F75-83CE-F5E449957C12.jpeg

keep hoping @Red Hering ..its not gonna happen..lol.I been down here in the sun for over 2 months..
my skin is tanned and tough...;)

costa rica march 2019 329.jpg
A really bad case of sun burn can lead to melanoma a serious skin cancer that can be fatal, my best friend fishing buddy died of skin cancer from sun exposure at a very young age..I take precautions and avoid exposure when needed..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks