Off Topic Animal identification??

jerk bait

Captured a couple of blurry pics on my game.cam the other night. Norfolk County. Can't seem to get a common answer on this. Time was around 630am . Dense bush. Tracks in area are scatterd and not much help. .
There are 2 raccoons on the tree and the mystery animal appears to ne chasing the small one . Bigger coon is scrambling up/down tree.
Mystery animal appears to have long legs, stout neck and a spotted tail. Back end is darker. Odd looking ears . By scale maybe 40 pounds ish...
So far we don't have a common agreement and i have heard the.followimg answers.
Bobcat
Cougar
Coyote
Deer
Wild dog
Wolverine
Bushel fox
Lynx
Kangaroo
Hyhena
And yes....vampire dog ...

My initial thought was a young Deer , then a wild.dog. my friend who works in conservation swears its a big cat.
For the record , a Bobcat was spotted on this same property several years ago. Coyotes are common and I.have seen wild dogs here before. 2 big cats were spotted about 4 km away last year.
Perhaps the hunters here would have a better indicator .
Hoping to get a better pic in the next few days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_120829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_120829_Gallery.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_20230627_120842_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_120842_Gallery.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 274
Captured a couple of blurry pics on my game.cam the other night. Norfolk County. Can't seem to get a common answer on this. Time was around 630am . Dense bush. Tracks in area are scatterd and not much help. .
There are 2 raccoons on the tree and the mystery animal appears to ne chasing the small one . Bigger coon is scrambling up/down tree.
Mystery animal appears to have long legs, stout neck and a spotted tail. Back end is darker. Odd looking ears . By scale maybe 40 pounds ish...
So far we don't have a common agreement and i have heard the.followimg answers.
Bobcat
Cougar
Coyote
Deer
Wild dog
Wolverine
Bushel fox
Lynx
Kangaroo
Hyhena
And yes....vampire dog ...

My initial thought was a young Deer , then a wild.dog. my friend who works in conservation swears its a big cat.
For the record , a Bobcat was spotted on this same property several years ago. Coyotes are common and I.have seen wild dogs here before. 2 big cats were spotted about 4 km away last year.
Perhaps the hunters here would have a better indicator .
Hoping to get a better pic in the next few days.
Coyote

Doesn’t mean there ain’t cats there. Bear has been cruising my neck of the woods for a few weeks

I would agree coyote and also if that's what your images turn out you need a new trail camera .
It actually works pretty well. That morning was rain and overcast. Below is a coyote that is hanging around . To me they look nothing alike. Also our friendly deer came for a look.

Attachments

• 20230504_154701.jpg
    20230504_154701.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230504_154721.jpg
    20230504_154721.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 49
Looks like a cat to me. I've seen one before near Burwell and nobody believes that
I have personally ran into a Bobcat on this property before as well my dad and I watched 2 large black cats 20 years ago playing in a tree line , and of course they didn't exist hahah.

Mange infected coyote. Sure is ugly.

Yep. Sometimes they lose fur in such odd patterns they can look like African wild dogs from a distance. Other times they’ll be completely hairless and look like zombie dogs.

Both pics show ears that are too big for a cat. Legs are too long and skinny to be a cat too.

To the OP, try setting a piece of bark on/over the cam similar to an awning and apply anti fog/rain-x type stuff to the glass (I use my ATV goggle spray) for much better pics in wet weather.

I used my super digital enhancer program and this is what it seems to be ....yep thats a jackalope all right!

Attachments

• coyote and rabbit.jpg
    coyote and rabbit.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 43
I don’t see a tail so I’m not leaning towards coyote and more towards bobcat or domestic dog breed that has the tail cropped

Back