Off Topic Animal identification??

jerk bait

Captured a couple of blurry pics on my game.cam the other night. Norfolk County. Can't seem to get a common answer on this. Time was around 630am . Dense bush. Tracks in area are scatterd and not much help. .
There are 2 raccoons on the tree and the mystery animal appears to ne chasing the small one . Bigger coon is scrambling up/down tree.
Mystery animal appears to have long legs, stout neck and a spotted tail. Back end is darker. Odd looking ears . By scale maybe 40 pounds ish...
So far we don't have a common agreement and i have heard the.followimg answers.
Bobcat
Cougar
Coyote
Deer
Wild dog
Wolverine
Bushel fox
Lynx
Kangaroo
Hyhena
And yes....vampire dog ...

My initial thought was a young Deer , then a wild.dog. my friend who works in conservation swears its a big cat.
For the record , a Bobcat was spotted on this same property several years ago. Coyotes are common and I.have seen wild dogs here before. 2 big cats were spotted about 4 km away last year.
Perhaps the hunters here would have a better indicator .
Hoping to get a better pic in the next few days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627_120829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_120829_Gallery.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_20230627_120842_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627_120842_Gallery.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 274
Captured a couple of blurry pics on my game.cam the other night. Norfolk County. Can't seem to get a common answer on this. Time was around 630am . Dense bush. Tracks in area are scatterd and not much help. .
There are 2 raccoons on the tree and the mystery animal appears to ne chasing the small one . Bigger coon is scrambling up/down tree.
Mystery animal appears to have long legs, stout neck and a spotted tail. Back end is darker. Odd looking ears . By scale maybe 40 pounds ish...
So far we don't have a common agreement and i have heard the.followimg answers.
Bobcat
Cougar
Coyote
Deer
Wild dog
Wolverine
Bushel fox
Lynx
Kangaroo
Hyhena
And yes....vampire dog ...

My initial thought was a young Deer , then a wild.dog. my friend who works in conservation swears its a big cat.
For the record , a Bobcat was spotted on this same property several years ago. Coyotes are common and I.have seen wild dogs here before. 2 big cats were spotted about 4 km away last year.
Perhaps the hunters here would have a better indicator .
Hoping to get a better pic in the next few days.
Coyote

Doesn’t mean there ain’t cats there. Bear has been cruising my neck of the woods for a few weeks

I would agree coyote and also if that's what your images turn out you need a new trail camera .
It actually works pretty well. That morning was rain and overcast. Below is a coyote that is hanging around . To me they look nothing alike. Also our friendly deer came for a look.

Attachments

• 20230504_154701.jpg
    20230504_154701.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230504_154721.jpg
    20230504_154721.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 49
Looks like a cat to me. I've seen one before near Burwell and nobody believes that
I have personally ran into a Bobcat on this property before as well my dad and I watched 2 large black cats 20 years ago playing in a tree line , and of course they didn't exist hahah.

Mange infected coyote. Sure is ugly.

Yep. Sometimes they lose fur in such odd patterns they can look like African wild dogs from a distance. Other times they’ll be completely hairless and look like zombie dogs.

Both pics show ears that are too big for a cat. Legs are too long and skinny to be a cat too.

To the OP, try setting a piece of bark on/over the cam similar to an awning and apply anti fog/rain-x type stuff to the glass (I use my ATV goggle spray) for much better pics in wet weather.

I used my super digital enhancer program and this is what it seems to be ....yep thats a jackalope all right!

Attachments

• coyote and rabbit.jpg
    coyote and rabbit.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 43
I don’t see a tail so I’m not leaning towards coyote and more towards bobcat or domestic dog breed that has the tail cropped

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks