A tough day for me on the opening of bass season

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After arriving on friday by 6 p.m. to fish the opening of bass season early this morning before the crowds arrived,I found that the smallmouth bass to me at least were hard to find,compared to so many previous years of opening bass season on long point bay.I met @anonymoose ( who recognized me from @stomp website),and his son who were both a pleasure to meet.A beautiful sunrise,and a fairly strong North-West wind which was forecasted to be light for the morning,made for a bumpy ride across the bay to the main channel,were I had planned to fish.I fished the main channel for a couple of hours with no luck,so I decided to fish the reeds for largemouth bass in the same area were I caught a couple of pike on friday night.No luck for me catching a largemouth bass,therefore I boated over to Pottahawk Point.Lots of boat’s were already there,and this is the place were I caught my first and only smallmouth bass of the opening season.It weighed almost 4 lbs.I fished there in the area till around noon hour,and it seemed like no one was catching fish anymore around me,so therefore I ended up leaving to go back home.All and all a great day and a half of fishing.If the weather is just right again for the long point Bay Area.I will try and catch some bass soon. ? ???:cool:

Attachments

• EC27C996-1536-4AB2-9268-BD06C8EE383A.jpeg
    EC27C996-1536-4AB2-9268-BD06C8EE383A.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 70C40ADF-5C8E-4D96-8C3F-1F3137E5379B.jpeg
    70C40ADF-5C8E-4D96-8C3F-1F3137E5379B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
  • 811B301D-7113-42CB-A7F3-9333C4807311.jpeg
    811B301D-7113-42CB-A7F3-9333C4807311.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 92AC745F-FC12-488F-9508-915218BE484A.jpeg
    92AC745F-FC12-488F-9508-915218BE484A.jpeg
    688.2 KB · Views: 79
  • E6F70232-C0AF-4104-8DC7-D0FCB7196600.jpeg
    E6F70232-C0AF-4104-8DC7-D0FCB7196600.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • 9FF0ADCE-CF30-43F3-8E69-14F6E2DEECE2.jpeg
    9FF0ADCE-CF30-43F3-8E69-14F6E2DEECE2.jpeg
    671.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 2E94AA7D-F4F8-4E60-A3DF-22C091E684A5.jpeg
    2E94AA7D-F4F8-4E60-A3DF-22C091E684A5.jpeg
    698.5 KB · Views: 92
Fished the afternoon shift to avoid all the craziness of opening day boat ramps. The wind had turned from SW to West and didn't really lay down much (4-8:30). Same experience as you, wet ride from North shore to the channel. Caught small 3 lb pike then moved over in front of Millionaire's and missed a couple hits in the wind. Pounding wet ride to get back across to channel where I caught another pike. Never even seen a Bass. Never experienced a worse opener ever but like you I will be back and expect the smallmouth will cooperate and the winds will subside so I can explore the Bluffs and beyond!

Fished the afternoon shift to avoid all the craziness of opening day boat ramps. The wind had turned from SW to West and didn't really lay down much (4-8:30). Same experience as you, wet ride from North shore to the channel. Caught small 3 lb pike then moved over in front of Millionaire's and missed a couple hits in the wind. Pounding wet ride to get back across to channel where I caught another pike. Never even seen a Bass. Never experienced a worse opener ever but like you I will be back and expect the smallmouth will cooperate and the winds will subside so I can explore the Bluffs and beyond!
There should be better days ahead @Mudcat for bass on long point bay,and I wouldn’t mind getting rid of my leeches at $8 for a dozen by using them this week on long point bay.I ended up buying 3 dozen leeches last friday,and I always have luck on them in the previous years fishing for bass on long point bay.Good luck on your next trip out bass fishing,and bass on for us and others!! ?????

Last edited:
Bass opener was not great. We head out of Old Cut around 6:30. Decided to try just outside of the Province Park. Drift fish with leeches. Boom fish on. Was a nice eating walleye. Drifted another five minutes and boom big smallie. That was it till noon out by Pottahawk and catch this guy. Worst opener I’ve ever experienced

Attachments

• C6719291-98B4-44E7-9243-72EC31613D03.jpeg
    C6719291-98B4-44E7-9243-72EC31613D03.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Bass opener was not great. We head out of Old Cut around 6:30. Decided to try just outside of the Province Park. Drift fish with leeches. Boom fish on. Was a nice eating walleye. Drifted another five minutes and boom big smallie. That was it till noon out by Pottahawk and catch this guy. Worst opener I’ve ever experienced
Nice catch especially on the walleye @jeweller and also a good looking bass!! I heard that a lot yesterday about the bass fishing being poor at the boat ramp and out on the water when I was talking to a few anglers.I am not giving up yet on this young bass fishing season,and I am already “pumped” to get back out there on long point bay,ASAP!! ? ????

Great meeting you @Red Hering!

Tough morning for us with only 3 boated. We didn't weigh in!

One highlight was getting stopped by our local Conservation Officers. By then my family had joined us and our 2-year-old was sleeping on the boat. The courteous MNR crew quietly verified that we were legal and were on their way. Always a pleasure to see the guys in green.

Great meeting you @Red Hering!

Tough morning for us with only 3 boated. We didn't weigh in!

One highlight was getting stopped by our local Conservation Officers. By then my family had joined us and our 2-year-old was sleeping on the boat. The courteous MNR crew quietly verified that we were legal and were on their way. Always a pleasure to see the guys in green.
Great meeting you as well @anonymoose and your son.If it wasn’t for all of the photo’s of me on @stomp with my usual “thumb up” you wouldn’t of known if it was me the @Red Hering but you came over at the boat dock and asked me.Congratulations on your 3 fish that you caught,and it is always nice to see the Conservation Officer around as well. “Thumbs Up” and please keep in touch

Attachments

• 4774EA14-911A-484C-866A-57B9A878294F.jpeg
    4774EA14-911A-484C-866A-57B9A878294F.jpeg
    526.2 KB · Views: 7
Better days ahead as that H2O warms up. Now as for the leeches they keep a whole lot easier than minnows in the refrigerator crisper...lol... Best of Luck as the season progresses... ><((((*> (y)

Better days ahead as that H2O warms up. Now as for the leeches they keep a whole lot easier than minnows in the refrigerator crisper...lol... Best of Luck as the season progresses... ><((((*> (y)
Definitely @Mudcat leeches will keep for a long time,and that is another reason why I bought 3 dozen,and once long point bay slows down and the bass go deeper into their “summer locations,” I will try them on lake huron as well.

Fished SM a few hours both days and struggled as well. Caught some in tight to Bait Island where the water was 68 F Saturday and almost 70 F on Sunday. I posted results yesterday but I guess Stomp had some issues with the site and yesterday's post got deleted. Unfortunately mostly were big adult bass. We did OK on perch at Pottohawk Sunday.

We did ok, I agree slower then any past years. Also less boats this year. We got about 12-14 between 4 guys. Two of them caught most. Same exact setup, leeches. However, the crank baits pulled in the biggest.
We also tried our hands at perch, limited success that way as well. Bumpy day. Guys had dinner, I'm not a fan of eating bass myself. Most were found closer in to the sand bar later in the day. Early it was more random.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks