3 lines per person lake erie (Ohio's portion)

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Ohio Wildlife Council OKs 3rd fishing line for Lake Erie, Ohio River

October 24, 2019

Ohio DNR Reports

Fishing-GreatLakes-300x200-300x200.jpg
The use of three lines per person while fishing on Ohio’s portion of Lake Erie, including areas immediately upstream in creeks, rivers and tributaries, as well as the western and eastern units of Ohio River, got the OK. Regulations allow a person to fish with up to two lines in the remainder of the state.
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Anglers may use a maximum of three fishing lines on Ohio’s portion of Lake Erie and the Ohio River starting on Jan. 1, 2020, following new regulations passed by the Ohio Wildlife Council, according to the Ohio DNR Division of Wildlife.
The council approved the use of three lines per person while fishing on Ohio’s portion of Lake Erie, including areas immediately upstream in creeks, rivers and tributaries, as well as the western and eastern units of Ohio River. Regulations allow a person to fish with up to two lines in the remainder of the state.
“This new regulation makes it easier for Ohioans to enjoy fishing on the two most iconic bodies of water in the Buckeye State,” said Division of Wildlife Chief Kendra Wecker. “Providing additional options increases the opportunities to have a great day on these wonderful resources.”
The council also approved moving Ohio’s free fishing dates to June 20-21, 2020. In the future, Ohio’s free fishing dates will be scheduled for the weekend that includes the third Sunday in June. Free fishing dates are open to Ohio residents. During those dates, a license is not required to experience fishing at Ohio’s public lakes, rivers, and reservoirs, including Lake Erie.
On the Ohio River, the council approved reducing the combined daily bag limit of sauger, saugeye and walleye to six fish. The sauger, saugeye and walleye length limit was set at 14 inches in the western fishing unit (from South Point west to the Indiana state line). These changes are designed to align Ohio River fishing regulations with bordering states. The bag limit changes take effect Jan. 1, 2020.
The Ohio Wildlife Council passed these regulations proposals at its regularly scheduled meeting on Oct. 9.
Additional regulations approved by the Ohio Wildlife Council:
Establishing existing fishing regulations on Jesse Owens State Park and Wildlife Area.
Hunting and trapping access to Eagle Creek Wildlife Area in Brown County is by special permit only from Sept. 1 through May 31 annually. Eagle Creek is maintained as an area where beginning hunters may participate in mentored hunts through a drawing system.
Sloan’s crayfish was removed from Ohio’s list of threatened species. A strong population of Sloan’s crayfish has been documented within its native Ohio range.
A complete list of approved proposals is available at wildohio.gov
Categories: News
Tags: Fishing, Lake Erie, Ohio DNR, Ohio River, Ohio Wildlife Council

I tried to look up what year Ontario's lake erie sportfishing allowed 2 lines per person in a boat?
Does anybody remember the year?
during hurons last salmon boom erie was 2 lines and huron we were still fishin one line per person..and the MNRF were a long time moving it to 2 lines after erie..

Last edited:
I agree with Leftys Buoy. How fast do you want to get your limit! 2hrs.; Maybe 1hr. I really don't see the point of this. Just my 2-cents!

How to sell more equipment...add more lines!!
Like most people..when I was out last year I had trouble keeping up with 2 rods
Imagine 2 guys, 6 rods??? I get a headache thinking about the tangled mess

When fishing solo, I would prefer to use more than two lines. Makes dialing them in much easier. Not necessary when fishing more than 1 person though IMO

It's been 3 rods Max in Michigan Waters since 2009. As long as limits are what they are, I can't see it being a huge problem.

The number of rods is no issue with me, although I have to admit, originally learning I could use two rods on Erie was a pleasant surprise. I have missed it back inland on Lake of Bays / Oxtoungue Lake.

Once Erie was figured out, along with guidance from friends and here on 6 8, limits were no problem with two/person.

I probably wouldn't bother using three even if it was allowed. I can see Charter boats with big boards liking it.

Increasing the limit would extend the time on the water for me, but it's nice to be back home all cleaned up by noon too. :D

For anyone struggling putting fish in the boat, increasing the number of rods isn't likely going to help. Changing your ways will.

Last edited:
That's why I said temporarily. The odds are that Commercial Walleye quotas will increase and perch will likely hold or decrease. Walleye sport catches do not compare with netters so a couple of fish shouldn't make an impact. The walleye boom is not going to last but it won't be the sporters causing it's demise.

They didn’t increase limits so it’s going to make practically zero difference. 1 rod or 6 rods, the daily and possession limit remains the same.

The only difference I can see is on those slow days as the extra rod(s) will help with figuring out what the fish want.

how is 6 fish taken on one rod any different than 6 fish taken on 3 rods???
When times are slower...a thrid rod gives you 33 percent more chance..could be the difference between 2 fish or 4 fish !! Wont make much difference now when they will eat a spoon made of a pop can but give it a few years and the collapse will happen. Just look at the perch

Couldn't agree with you more jerk bait! With more lines/rods allowed plus the commercial nets I give it 2yrs. tops then- Disaster! In particular Can. waters! Thanks Walleyeman.

In two years the fishing will just be getting better, the 2018 year will be reaching keepable size and the larger 2019 year class will be making a showing as 14-15" throwbacks. The fishing on Erie is gonna be spectacular the next 8-10yrs atleast. There's no "disaster" anywhere on the horizon with 150 million or so walleye in the lake.

Josh

I am sure most of us can agree the bumper crop of 2014 & 2015 year class adult walleyes have been reduced lake wide 2019 harvest..the number of fish that survived from these year classes will be less...they will be noticably bigger...ya Josh I was reading the august update on 2018s best year class ever for erie walleye..2020 TAC numbers comes out in the spring for erie walleye & perch...

good for ohio sportfishermen on the oppurtunity to use up to 3 rods..

Last edited:
In two years the fishing will just be getting better, the 2018 year will be reaching keepable size and the larger 2019 year class will be making a showing as 14-15" throwbacks. The fishing on Erie is gonna be spectacular the next 8-10yrs atleast. There's no "disaster" anywhere on the horizon with 150 million or so walleye in the lake.

Josh
They said that about the perch fishing as well..some of us remember the prior boom and the collapse....goes in cycles. 150 million walleye means nothing then..it came on quick..can go quick.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks