Fishing Report 27&28 port burwell.

SIX-GRAND

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Saturday Set the lines just west of sand hill in 62 and rolled with the waves for 10mile or so to a couple mile west of burwell.. 62fow the whole way. Hit Fish the whole way across no dead spots just slow spots.
2.7-3mph.20220827_190258.jpg20220827_182109.jpg
Shallow Flicker shads on the dipsys and jointed shads on the leadcore.
Two #1 dipsys out 65ft one set at 0 and other on 1. Same setting for other side but out 85ft.
3&4color of planer board.
Dipsy divers took most of the fish including the trouts and lost the most but also took the biggest fish(85ft out). Color didn't matter20220828_032701.jpg20220827_235314.jpg 1/1sheephead.

Sunday waters were much more forgiving. The plan was to just play around with some baits and see what the fish would take..and wouldn't.
Starting spread, 40tail dancers went on 3&4 core. Worm harness(meat and meatless)went out on 4cores. Dipsys out 65ft on 0 ran a flicker shad and purple boxer spoon.

Took fish on harness with and without a real worm 20220828_171615.jpg. Worm burner spoon thing was rather good on 4 color but only with a real worm..Same went for 3/8oz Erie deerie looking thing that went out for test.

Out of 5 colors tested of the 40ft tail dancers only 1 produced and produced well over and over on 4color20220828_171826.jpg. 30ft tail dancer did good on 4 colors too20220828_191046.jpg.
Dropped a walker deeper diver out 65ft set on 0 pulling a magnum size warrior spoon that best resembled the hot tail dancer and nothing..sent down to 85ft and fish on20220828_185033.jpg. Lots of the bigger fish came off that rig 20220828_185821.jpg.

Purple boxer spoon on the dipsy was good the whole way but for what ever reason it had the worst hook up rate out of everything and lost the most.

Flicker shad of the dipsy at 65&75 outfished everything and took the rest of the big fish.

Ran a variety of baits/color and presentations..lots of it worked and some of it the fish would not touch.

20220829_011259.jpgStarted in 62fow went S to 64 then trolled for port for the remainder of the evening. Hit fish all over the 60s but from 60-58fow she was pretty light.

Still LOADS of easy fish out there.. Damn near to easy.
Fish around the 16" mark had no problem hitting on the 40ft tail dancer and magnum spoon... the baits were damn near half there size yet dozens took a wack at them.
1/1sheephead.

Last edited:
Well done @SIX-GRAND . Yesterday was very active bait columns vertical 40ft to surface between 3pm to 5pm with the wind change. Anything in the box seemed to catch once you located the active schools. 12/12 with triples and made it home in time for a fish fry.
Our fastest limit of the season with a selected harvest for slot size. Great season overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
When a cooler becomes a crate?? :LOL: I saw a purple bengal... ;) Insane fishing...

Saturday Set the lines just west of sand hill in 62 and rolled with the waves for 10mile or so to a couple mile west of burwell.. 62fow the whole way. Hit Fish the whole way across no dead spots just slow spots.
2.7-3mph.View attachment 64727View attachment 64729
Shallow Flicker shads on the dipsys and jointed shads on the leadcore.
Two #1 dipsys out 65ft one set at 0 and other on 1. Same setting for other side but out 85ft.
3&4color of planer board.
Dipsy divers took most of the fish including the trouts and lost the most but also took the biggest fish(85ft out). Color didn't matterView attachment 64726View attachment 64730 1/1sheephead.

Sunday waters were much more forgiving. The plan was to just play around with some baits and see what the fish would take..and wouldn't.
Starting spread, 40tail dancers went on 3&4 core. Worm harness(meat and meatless)went out on 4cores. Dipsys out 65ft on 0 ran a flicker shad and purple boxer spoon.

Took fish on harness with and without a real worm View attachment 64738. Worm burner spoon thing was rather good on 4 color but only with a real worm..Same went for 3/8oz Erie deerie looking thing that went out for test.

Out of 5 colors tested of the 40ft tail dancers only 1 produced and produced well over and over on 4colorView attachment 64737. 30ft tail dancer did good on 4 colors tooView attachment 64733.
Dropped a walker deeper diver out 65ft set on 0 pulling a magnum size warrior spoon that best resembled the hot tail dancer and nothing..sent down to 85ft and fish onView attachment 64735. Lots of the bigger fish came off that rig View attachment 64734.

Purple boxer spoon on the dipsy was good the whole way but for what ever reason it had the worst hook up rate out of everything and lost the most.

Flicker shad of the dipsy at 65&75 outfished everything and took the rest of the big fish.

Ran a variety of baits/color and presentations..lots of it worked and some of it the fish would not touch.

View attachment 64731Started in 62fow went S to 64 then trolled for port for the remainder of the evening. Hit fish all over the 60s but from 60-58fow she was pretty light.

Still LOADS of easy fish out there.. Damn near to easy.
Fish around the 16" mark had no problem hitting on the 40ft tail dancer and magnum spoon... the baits were damn near half there size yet dozen took a wack at them.
1/1sheephead.
It’s excellent again @SIX-GRAND to see such a detailed walleye fishing report from you again,especially from Lake Erie,(not Nanticoke- I don’t fish there!! lol 😂). Good to know that there are still loads of walleye’s out there,from your fishing report & from other’s as well. Tight lines & Fish ON!! to the rest of the walleye season to All!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂

Last edited:
When a cooler becomes a crate?? :LOL: I saw a purple bengal... ;) Insane fishing...
Saturday the flicker shad bite was insane off the leadcore & dipsys and that purple Bengal was the hottest shad of the spread behind the dipsy diver at 85ft out. The fish really left there mark on it after that round.

It’s excellent again @SIX-GRAND to see such a detailed walleye fishing report from you again,especially from Lake Erie,(not Nanticoke- I don’t fish there!! lol 😂). Good to know that there are still loads of walleye’s out there,from your fishing report & from other’s as well. Tight lines & Fish ON!! to the rest of the walleye season to All!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂
Lol🤣. I only ever fish lake Erie when it comes to the great lakes. I go to burwell(the big easy) when im taking kids and not so avid anglers out to catch fish.. burwell is always fun and forgiving.
I only take myself & fishermens to Nanticoke(the same nanticoke that is along the shore of lake Erie).
Its a fishermens paradise just not easy Pickens for quick limits of eyes.
Even the Bob izumi can be spotted testing his skills at the rich waters off Nanticoke from time to time. I Had a good chat with him last season at Hoover's and after asking him what brings him here(nanticoke) he put it that nanticoke is one of( if not)his favorite place to fish lake Erie becouse of the variety of fish species that can be targeted and the endless styles of fishing opportunities from jigging/casting/trolling the rock humps,shoals,bars to trolling the big open waters around the shoal,elbow and point to working over the weed beds in and around LPB.. "Where else can you cast for endless smalliez long the shallow rock structures to trolling over 100+ft of water for eyes and big silver fish in the same afternoon on lake erie". a fishermens paradise.
Musky,pike,smalliez,largies,perch,browns,rainbows,salmon,lakers and even walleye&pickerel can be had at LPB and the rich waters off Nanticoke if you knows the way.

Come out and test the your skills Red, its a part of lake erie and LPB..the water's fine👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽.
Grab a Mc-coffee & drive out and hand out some stickers to the stickerless members around LPB and the east side anglers.
Bring all your lures that you post pictures of if you come to fish..you just might need them LOL! 😂😂

Lol🤣. I only ever fish lake Erie when it comes to the great lakes. I go to burwell(the big easy) when im taking kids and not so avid anglers out to catch fish.. burwell is always fun and forgiving.
I only take myself & fishermens to Nanticoke(the same nanticoke that is along the shore of lake Erie).
Its a fishermens paradise just not easy Pickens for quick limits of eyes.
Even the Bob izumi can be spotted testing his skills at the rich waters off Nanticoke from time to time. I Had a good chat with him last season at Hoover's and after asking him what brings him here(nanticoke) he put it that nanticoke is one of( if not)his favorite place to fish lake Erie becouse of the variety of fish species that can be targeted and the endless styles of fishing opportunities from jigging/casting/trolling the rock humps,shoals,bars to trolling the big open waters around the shoal,elbow and point to working over the weed beds in and around LPB.. "Where else can you cast for endless smalliez long the shallow rock structures to trolling over 100+ft of water for eyes and big silver fish in the same afternoon on lake erie". a fishermens paradise.
Musky,pike,smalliez,largies,perch,browns,rainbows,salmon,lakers and even walleye&pickerel can be had at LPB and the rich waters off Nanticoke if you knows the way.

Come out and test the your skills Red, its a part of lake erie and LPB..the water's fine👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽.
Grab a Mc-coffee & drive out and hand out some stickers to the stickerless members around LPB and the east side anglers.
Bring all your lures that you post pictures of if you come to fish..you just might need them LOL! 😂😂
With such a nice invitation from you @SIX-GRAND 👊👊 I might/should take you up on that my friend!! 🤩👍👍🙂 Whenever I get this part for my outboard motor delivered to my house sometime apparently in early September now,🙄 instead of at one time it was supposed to have been delivered right now in August,🤨 I will then pm you to perhaps meet up with you somewhere around the outer bay of long point,(Nanticoke area),and the Fall being my favourite season,for fishing for trophy fish. I won’t forget the 68 sticker’s for the eastern angler’s around long point bay,& my Mc Cafe,and of course my scratch less lure’s as well!! lol 😂 🤣 Long point bay is quite the fishery as you have mentioned,and I haven’t even scratched the surface of the outer bay yet,but just the Bluffs Bar area,for pike fishing mostly. Lets always keep in touch my friend & tight lines and Fish ON!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• 2D796B0C-A8A8-4CCB-A7F2-FE03D357C0AB.jpeg
    2D796B0C-A8A8-4CCB-A7F2-FE03D357C0AB.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 599C1A3D-8866-497A-8FC4-3ABDDFF4B2D7.jpeg
    599C1A3D-8866-497A-8FC4-3ABDDFF4B2D7.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 40
  • B2EE68AB-50B5-4376-AFDD-8E8ECCE90040.jpeg
    B2EE68AB-50B5-4376-AFDD-8E8ECCE90040.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 41
  • F28B1D58-E8A7-404F-991C-D92445D91804.jpeg
    F28B1D58-E8A7-404F-991C-D92445D91804.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 41
How deep are your taildancers running when you have three and four lead core?
No figures for fact with taildancer but With the amount of leader and backing (15&25ft) I used with 4colors I'm going to guess 35ft down with the 40ft TD and 30ft with the 30ft TD. Possibley a bit deeper but I doubt any shallower.
That's what i came up with when I sent it out any ways.. not for sure, No certainty what's so ever.

Out of nanticoke a time ago..we were reaching fish only with the dipsy that was allegedly running at 50-60ft down over 90+fow.. We started picking up fish on the leadcore once the 7color & 40ft TD went out. Based on that i figured it got down in the +/- 50range at least as that's where the bite seemed to be.

That's all I got.

No figures for fact with taildancer but With the amount of leader and backing (15&25ft) I used with 4colors I'm going to guess 35ft down with the 40ft TD and 30ft with the 30ft TD. Possibley a bit deeper but I doubt any shallower.
That's what i came up with when I sent it out any ways.. not for sure, No certainty what's so ever.

Out of nanticoke a time ago..we were reaching fish only with the dipsy that was allegedly running at 50-60ft down over 90+fow.. We started picking up fish on the leadcore once the 7color & 40ft TD went out. Based on that i figured it got down in the +/- 50range at least as that's where the bite seemed to be.

That's all I got.
Interesting hypothesis on the depths with those big lipped bastards... lol... The 30ft TD was a staple of mine when i fished Quinte in the fall... At 250' of line out it would put me at 30' down... With a 50' fluro lead on leadcore i would take 5' off the combined depth... Lots of + - with this calculation... Speed, waves currents and rod height... I love this stuff... Would be interesting to run shallow with it to know for sure but there would still be a + - with it... :unsure:

@jammer, "big lipped bastards" -- Laughed and totally agree! I had a few drag running hits early in the year without hooks setting on TDs. I figured trout were hitting it head on and getting a mouth full of plastic. By the time we get the rod in are hand we go to hook set and it pulls the plastic lips and head of TD out of its mouth. Changed up a hit trout sliders with no issue on hook sets. - Good lure for side or tail end hits though.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks