2 stroke ratio dilemma

Minnownite

So I have been mixing 2 stroke fuel/oil for years. Weed wackers, chain saw, boats ect. For the most part 50:1 is the ratio. Never had an issue. Just mix the oil 50:1 no matter what brand oil. Now today at work we sell Castrol 2 stroke oil but they don't offer a mix ratio on the back like they normally do. No big deal to me because mix ratio goes toward the engine requirements. Not oil. My co workers claim the ratio varies brand to brand and synthetic and conventional. I think it's the same no matter what oil is used. What're your opinions!?!

As far as I know make of oil is personal and manufactures preference and has no influence on mix ratio.

Mix ratio would be based on type of motor, temp used in (winter ..ice auger and chainsaws r 24 -33:1 depending on manufact.) And manufacture and warranty specs

Follow engine manufacturers recommendations with ratio and type of oil ie. weight, synthetic or regular oil. They built the thing they would know! I always say if all else fails read the instructions. Just my 2 cents.

Hi !
I am a 61 year old male of our species.
Something I learned to do [albeit the hard way] was to take the 5 or 10 minutes and read the little book that comes with those toys we buy. Even if you have to sneak off to the bathroom and read it , at least that way your buddies may not notice you reading an instruction manual and you come out smelling like a genius.

As for 2 stroke oil ? Outboard oil is for outboards ONLY ! Use the air cooled type 2 stroke oil for your chainsaws. weedwhackers, etc. . etc..
Also always use fresh gas. Especially for those little air cooled engines. Outboards are designed to run on 89 octane but as we know run fine on 87.
I just started using that Seafoam stuff and so far I like it. The company that services our JD mower recommended it as they use it when putting equipment away for the winter.

There is some room for debate when you are talking about very old engines manufactured before today's oils were available. Some of these engines had manufacturer specifications of 16:1, but that was with 30W oil, not today's modern two stroke oils.

In a modern engine follow manufacturers specs.

Hi !
I am a 61 year old male of our species.
Something I learned to do [albeit the hard way] was to take the 5 or 10 minutes and read the little book that comes with those toys we buy. Even if you have to sneak off to the bathroom and read it , at least that way your buddies may not notice you reading an instruction manual and you come out smelling like a genius.

As for 2 stroke oil ? Outboard oil is for outboards ONLY ! Use the air cooled type 2 stroke oil for your chainsaws. weedwhackers, etc. . etc..
Also always use fresh gas. Especially for those little air cooled engines. Outboards are designed to run on 89 octane but as we know run fine on 87.
I just started using that Seafoam stuff and so far I like it. The company that services our JD mower recommended it as they use it when putting equipment away for the winter.

ooooops it reply twice

I think your miss reading what I'm saying.

Say my engine requires 50:1. When using Castrol oil I would run 1L oil to 50L of fuel. Regardless of brand of 2 stroke oil.

My co workers are saying each brand is different. One brand may require 750ml oil for a 50:1 ratio on 50L gas. Which makes 0 sense to me. So one oil would be more concentrated then another or something like that

Also another gentleman tried convincing me that certain oil you can't run at 100:1. Each 2 stroke mix is formulated for a specific ratio. This is all crazy! 50:1 is 50:1. Regardless of oil. 16:1 is 16:1. So long as it meets engine specs Agree or disagree?

I tried to ask google a few ways if different brand 2 stroke oils used different amounts to accomplish the same ratio blend.

Google didn't like the question.

It is possible but unlikely for an oil manufacturer to exclude a ratio with an oil due to a limitation.

The ratio is math. Not oils and their
additives.

So, I would agree with you.

There are certain 2 stroke oils that are more concentrated and can be mixed leaner to provide the same lubrication. Opti2 premix oil has its unique instructions on the bottle and for 50:1 is mixed more like 100:1. Opti also sells an injector oil that can be mixed at normal ratios.
It’s very good oil and I’ve been running saws bikes lawnmowers and outboards on it for over 20 years problem free.

I know at one point Ams Oil had an 2 stroke oil that they recommended mixing at 100:1 regardless of engine requirements. They claimed that the oil was so good that nothing should happen to your engine and if something should ever happen it would be covered under the OEM warranty because the oil requirements of there oil were far more superior than the OEM recommendations.
I myself will always stick to a 50:1 ratio
If it ain't broke dont mess with it...or mess with it till it is lol

No oil is more 'concentrated' than any other. However, they may have different amounts of additives in them. As John said, Amsoil did have a synthetic that they recommended mixing at 100:1 even for outboards recommending double that. That oil is no longer available in Canada as far as I know.

I'm not familiar with any other brands/products that suggest using anything other than the manufacturers recommended mix. And no, 750ml for 50l of gas does NOT equal a 50:1 mix in ANY situation! Your coworkers need to brush up on basic math! Lol

Josh

I think your miss reading what I'm saying.

Say my engine requires 50:1. When using Castrol oil I would run 1L oil to 50L of fuel. Regardless of brand of 2 stroke oil.

My co workers are saying each brand is different. One brand may require 750ml oil for a 50:1 ratio on 50L gas. Which makes 0 sense to me. So one oil would be more concentrated then another or something like that

Also another gentleman tried convincing me that certain oil you can't run at 100:1. Each 2 stroke mix is formulated for a specific ratio. This is all crazy! 50:1 is 50:1. Regardless of oil. 16:1 is 16:1. So long as it meets engine specs Agree or disagree?

You are correct
50:1 is 50:1
Math doesn’t change because you switched brands...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks