Fishing Report 1st time Erie Ice Fishing...HELP!😉

fishstalker

I've fish the LPB since 1957 but have only ice fished Lake Temagami.
Heading out tomorrow for 1st on the Bay and could use some help to pack my tackle for tomorrow.
Suggestions for what to put in my tackle pack appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Frank

Good luck Frank! Unfortunately I can't really be much help with ice-fishing. I've been out there a whole bunch of times but only remember doing well on one occasion and that was in the 1980's.

My perch rigs work pretty good with 2,3,4 hooks tipped with minnows. On bottom or off. ..... :) 🐠
I have found that a small treble with a Pearl attached to the underside the hook. about 18" of line attached to a small silver Williams Warbler is good for jigging. Great for Herring too.

Last edited:
My perch rigs work pretty good with 2,3,4 hooks tipped with minnows. On bottom or off. ..... :) 🐠
I have found that a small treble with a Pearl attached to the underside the hook. about 18" of line attached to a small silver Williams Warbler is good for jigging. Great for Herring too.
Herring too?? @Thirstystone LoL 🤣🤣 Thanks for the tip!! 😉Regards,@Red Hering 👍🙂

Anything tipped with a minnow. I did notice with my camera that most of the perch stayed directly on the bottom as the weeds are only 6" at best. Some would feed off my stationary dropshot rig while others would attack when the lure dropped, jigging didn't attract much perch interest but did trigger a pike attack. Be sure to use a wire leader!

He has left a good detail report if you don’t have any Williams lures anything similar with silver or half silver and blue, ripping raps perch rigs. Here’s a sample I was experimenting with tying a perch rig with beads that worked.
View attachment 37659
or anything similar to this.
View attachment 37660
hope this helps
JJ
Your homemade perch rig @Jumbojim worked great for you last February 10/21,when we were fishing together off the Old Cut that day my friend!! I am looking forward to be fishing together with you again soon!! 🎣🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• 78DEE110-50C9-47EA-952B-42C4A7E249B9.jpeg
    78DEE110-50C9-47EA-952B-42C4A7E249B9.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 21
Anything tipped with a minnow. I did notice with my camera that most of the perch stayed directly on the bottom as the weeds are only 6" at best. Some would feed off my stationary dropshot rig while others would attack when the lure dropped, jigging didn't attract much perch interest but did trigger a pike attack. Be sure to use a wire leader!
Thanks for the amazing tip @Extra Virgin !! I need to go ice fishing with you one day,to see how it’s really done,”live!!” See you soon my friend together ice fishing!! 🎣🐟😉👍🙂

Good luck Frank! Unfortunately I can't really be much help with ice-fishing. I've been out there a whole bunch of times but only remember doing well on one occasion and that was in the 1980's.
To bad ice fishing couldn’t be like fishing in the boat....when it slows down ya just push the jog button on the minkota and start fishing in a new spot.

Interesting read... Like any fishing... What works for me might not work for you... Jigging is a self technique... Some do well on jigging raps, spoons, jigs and i've seen some laying the smack down on hook and minnow... Confidence is your best bait... Experiment with what feels comfortable to you...

I don't think you can go wrong with any small spoon or jig as long as it has some shine...

Little Cleo
Buckshot
Kastmaster
Swedish Pimple
Mr Champ

1/4-1/2 oz...

Some prefer leaving trebles on and some use a long shank straight hook... Some tip with minnow and some use eyes...

Whatever I'm using I cut the minnows in half and fish them like that. I think the blood and guts brings them in. Plus the greedy little buggers can clean you out of minnows in no time, so this way the bait goes further.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks