Off Topic The missus may approve of a new boat...opinions?

Ocean rollers and waves are a lot different than great Lakes rollers and waves.....If you watch the weather and marine forcasts carefully you won't have to pound your way in to to your launch...or out to the fishing grounds...I have an aluminum 19 foot and have no problem with 1 meter waves. Key is position yourself properly in the waves...Slow and steady in big seas will get you there just fine... :giggle: :giggle:

So the missus had a bit of a scare coming home from Nanticoke last year. Weather shifted unexpectedly and we had a rough ride home in our aluminum 17.5 foot deepv. We went to Costa Rica and did a charter in a 32 foot boat in the pacific and while it wasn't a pleasant ride home, she now appreciates the perks of a bigger vessel.

So she states she may be inclined for an upgrade. Which raises the question, what's your size preferences for boats? Obviously if money and space weren't and issue, I would have a 30' center console. But realistically, I'm a multispecies fisherman and the budget allows for one boat.

What are you opinions on size/style that would suit everything from 4' bass waters to trolling erie and occasionally lake O? I'm currently pondering a 20ish' deep vee hull, typical for a multispecies boat, but I'm wondering if the upgrade would actually mean that many more fishing days? Or if it's still a bit small to play as often as some of you do. She won't be happy if we spend the money only to gain a couple more days on the water

Also, I like the smoothness of stern drive, but prefer the redundancy of an outboard. Read, bellow issues like potentially the latest sinking. Might be suicide asking for opinions on this... here goes!
Saw a real nice Seaswirl Striper at Watercrafts Pt Franks. Perfect safe water boat. 26’ I think. Wish I could tow it but my Ranger has all it can handle with my 16 Lund. 😞

What I have found over the years is one boat doesn't do it all. I have resorted to keeping a towable aluminum boat for fishing those shallower waters you mention, or rivers, north etc. For Erie, I run a 25ft walkaround style offshore boat (Proline) and love it. Erie is basically an inland ocean. Ocean style boats are designed to get you back safely when things take a turn. As far as smooth riding goes, it's all about deadrise. Again, there's no one perfect boat. Higher deadrise, smooth ride out, with more of a rock side to side trolling. Lower deadrise, bumpy ride out but sticks to the water when trolling. I decided on a hull that fell in that 19 to 21 degree deadrise which is a happy medium.

All in all, I'd recommend an offshore style hull if you want to feel that added security when things blow up on you a bit out there.

A Multispecies Boat is just that. Jack of all trades, Master of some?
I've been happy with my 2019 205 Competitor. Big front deck with a walk through windshield and a Bimini. Max out the HP and it'll stay up on plane at lower speeds in rough water. Add some hydraulic seats to smooth out the rougher rides. And if it's that rough fishings no fun anyways. If you get caught in rough seas it's boat handling and enough HP to keep you where you want to be that makes the difference in my experience.

First launch with my son
20200530_150839.jpg20200530_150811.jpg

Last edited:
If I didn't upgrade from a 19 deep V aluminum last summer I would be on my way to Michigan to check this one out. Hydra-Sports made great boats. Hope the link works.
I was actually looking at a Crestliner 1950 Superhawk. Would make an awesome multispecies, but she's still going to be a nervous ride back if we get caught out. I think part of the allure is its something bigger, but very familiar for me.

I actually saw a hydra sport vector 2390 for sale. It ticks a lot of the boxes. 23.5', 8.5' beam, evinrude 300, fairly low hours @150, looks like decent deadrise with a 2' draft which is reasonable for what I'm looking for/fishing in. The only downside is I can't easily put an electric trolling motor on the bow. And shell be living in a slip until I get a truck

Last edited:
I was going to say go buy it straight away before she changes her mind
Or talks you into a cruising boat rather than a fishing boat
Luckily for me if she's on the water, she's most likely fishing, unless we've got friends and their kids with us

I have much the same story..except it was me that came back after an 8 mile ride through 4-6' Lake Erie crap that made me look like Id been curb stomped by an LA street gang. I was lying on the couch moaning and my wife utters those words seldom heard by a man...

"maybe you should buy a bigger boat"

Ive also come up through the boat ranks on Erie and surrounding waters. 18' Starcraft SS bowrider, 18' Starcraft Super Fisherman, 18' Lund Alaskan..all aluminum. Big enough but when the big water gets big...sketchy and you get pounded. So...I found a minty 22' Trophy Pro walkaround. The ride and comfort...its day and night. Big beam, big flared bow, deep V hull made for offshore ocean. Cuts and sheds that 4-5' chop like its not there. At 22' its still trailerable and launchable by 1 person. Thats the pros to a bigger glass hull.

Drawbacks? Its bigger and heavier and while I can launch on my own, its not a quick dump like a lighter aluminum, so I tend to avoid the first light lineups. You need a decent deep water ramp. The ability to go to small inland lakes is pretty much gone..I can still fish stuff like Sturgeon, Buckhorn, etc but little stuff dosnt work. It also dosnt work well with the Detroit and St Clair river controlled drift jigging. Maintenance is a bit higher..waxing, canvas, etc.

I kept it in a slip in Erieau last year but I didnt like being tied to one port..although I could have taken it out and travelled but I felt a bit obligated to stay there as it was paid for. I hated the mess the boat suffered...Im fussy with my boat...+++++bird crap, full of spiders and their crap, and the growth on the hull and engine made year end cleanup a 2 day chore.

Bottom line is..a bigger glass boat is awesome on the great lakes and if you do the majority of your fishing there, its a great fit. If you like to move around a lot, fish smaller waters, run and gun, then a more portable aluminum is probably the way to go. I access those waters with friends, and I also use charters for stuff I can't get to.
This is pretty much what's on my mind. Bigger boat means a truck to haul it. The current boat is a hand me down and I hated when my parents had it in the slip. All sorts of crap growing/falling/living in it. I much prefer trailering and hauling and launching don't bother me. I'm just trying to walk that fine line between small enough to trailerable and not big enough to need a slip. Glass would be awesome but a new truck with it would probably be a hard sell

I've seen a couple Bayliner trophys but wasn't sure about the hull design as the deadrise doesn't look as high as some other hulls I've been looking at, namely the sportsman heritage boats

Last edited:
Really? If it was mine, it would be the one in the nicest color lol.
Seriously tho, some of the smaller centre consoles can get into skinny water (not bass boat skinny :)) and I've seen them down in florida with bow mount trolling motors. From what I've heard from the experts, 28' is the sweet spot for dealing with the Erie rollers plus most come with dual outboards for your contingency factor.

Are you considering new or used? There are a ton of these boats in the eastern US with low hours and priced much better than new so as long as it had the features you want and warranty, that would be the way i'd lean. Check out Cobia, super quality/price and they come with Yamahas.
Ideally used, but it seems like a decently new center console is pretty close to a new one. Although, enough cheaper that I could justify the truck. I think I'm looking at somewhere between a 20' and 25' center console at this point

Ocean rollers and waves are a lot different than great Lakes rollers and waves.....If you watch the weather and marine forcasts carefully you won't have to pound your way in to to your launch...or out to the fishing grounds...I have an aluminum 19 foot and have no problem with 1 meter waves. Key is position yourself properly in the waves...Slow and steady in big seas will get you there just fine... :giggle: :giggle:
I'm used to being in a 17'-18' aluminum in big waves. Learnt to boat on simcoe. It's not a great lake, but anyone who's been caught with their pants down knows she's a fickle beast, not to be taken lightly. I know mine and the boat's limit very well, but the missus doesn't share my experience. So if the boss says buy a bigger boat, who am I to disagree? 😂

Saw a real nice Seaswirl Striper at Watercrafts Pt Franks. Perfect safe water boat. 26’ I think. Wish I could tow it but my Ranger has all it can handle with my 16 Lund. 😞
I saw this one online. Looks like it was kept in really good shape. Price is very reasonable. But she's strictly going to be an erie/lake o boat if I get it. Shes a little big for my bass spots.

For handling waves and rough weather I’m a big believer in the fact that width means more than length. It really does take the roll out of the boat fishing in rougher weather and greatly helps with stability. So I’d say shoot for an 8 foot or greater beam in styles that still allow you to get to the shallows like you desire.
In rough water, a larger beam only works when you have a deep V. It does not help if you have a shallow Vee boat (IE Bass Boat). Bass boats are incredibly stable in calmer water but pound the life out of you when it get rough.

The Trophy Pros in the 22' models have a 19 degree deadrise at the transom which is a good mix of stability and deep V. The Pros have a large flared bow which according to some deadrise discussion is more important re water entry in rough water vs transom deadrise. The Trophy Pros are very dry runners due to the bow configuration.
One of the best newer aluminums Ive fished in was a 2019 Crestliner 2250. Amazing boat...and it was for sale but would put you back $110,000...ouch

We had the same dilemma a few years ago. I liked my bass boat, but didn't want to be limited to the inner bay only on the nicest of days. We settled on a 20' Larson FX. Big deep V hull, high freeboard, but front deck like a bass boat.

If it weren't for this video I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited:
Just get what you want and ask for forgiveness later lol. I did this week lol. Not a boat this time, that was a few years back lol. Pick it up Saturday, should cut it for hunting and ice fishing lol. New Outlander XT 850. They get over it eventually lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504-230710_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230504-230710_Chrome.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 6
Just get what you want and ask for forgiveness later lol. I did this week lol. Not a boat this time, that was a few years back lol. Pick it up Saturday, should cut it for hunting and ice fishing lol. New Outlander XT 850. They get over it eventually lol

That may be true, but that approach always costs you big time at some point in the future when you least expect it! Nice ride!

That may be true, but that approach always costs you big time at some point in the future when you least expect it! Nice ride!
She's pretty good with me as she knows how I am and that I work very hard for the money that keeps things going for both of us and also funds my random purchases. She knows if I have my heart set on something eventually it will come home with me with or without notice but only asks that if I buy something that I already own 1 or 2 of (snowmobiles or ATVS) that I sell 1 of them. She refers to me as Noah's Ark lol got to have 2 of everything lol. 2nd boat will be next but I'm putting a lot of thought into what I really want before pulling the trigger on that one. Needs to be one we can both enjoy so a cuddy is a must

This is pretty much what's on my mind. Bigger boat means a truck to haul it. The current boat is a hand me down and I hated when my parents had it in the slip. All sorts of crap growing/falling/living in it. I much prefer trailering and hauling and launching don't bother me. I'm just trying to walk that fine line between small enough to trailerable and not big enough to need a slip. Glass would be awesome but a new truck with it would probably be a hard sell

I've seen a couple Bayliner trophys but wasn't sure about the hull design as the deadrise doesn't look as high as some other hulls I've been looking at, namely the sportsman heritage boats
I love my Bayliner trophy. It’s 24 with a swim platform and it resulted in a bigger sized truck from my already existing ram 1500. So there is your PRO and your CON.

I love my Bayliner trophy. It’s 24 with a swim platform and it resulted in a bigger sized truck from my already existing ram 1500. So there is your PRO and your CON.
Luckily for me I want a new truck, so pro and pro? 😅

On another note, it's not exactly what I want, but the missus may like your listing, especially at that price vs what I've been looking at. Hopefully I can make up my mind before it too late

Last edited:
The Trophy Pros in the 22' models have a 19 degree deadrise at the transom which is a good mix of stability and deep V. The Pros have a large flared bow which according to some deadrise discussion is more important re water entry in rough water vs transom deadrise. The Trophy Pros are very dry runners due to the bow configuration.
One of the best newer aluminums Ive fished in was a 2019 Crestliner 2250. Amazing boat...and it was for sale but would put you back $110,000...ouch
If for some reason I decide on an aluminum boat, it'll probably be a crestliner or alumacraft. Definitely some of the better boats I've seen/ been in. But for what I'm wanting to get, I'm leaning more towards a glass boat. I'll keep an eye out for the trophy pros. The flared bow definitely piques my interest. I havent met anyone that complains about a dry ride. What I've noticed though, are the flared bows I've seen also come with higher freeboard which isn't ideal for casting. If there's one thing everyone needs to know about me, I hate compromising when I'm paying good money for something 😅. Those kingfishers are nice aluminum boats though but I'd have to win the lottery first

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks