Fillet knife

Ya know Red, I could have gone downtown to the big thing they had for Kadri this past weekend, or I could go to the hockey hall of fame in Toronto wearing my Leafs jersey and stand beside the Cup and have my picture taken too, but I didn't, and I won't. That would be both wishful thinking, and I'm really old school hockey, I didn't win it, so I ain't touchin it. ;):ROFLMAO:

I am with @Derkd9 and @hvyhaul If you are handy with sharpening stones etc, spend a few bucks for something made with good steel, otherwise grab the Canadian tire special with the little plastic sharpener thing. No shame in using that!

And when you do wear out a knife, spend $15 on a basic sharpening stone, watch some YouTube videos and practice. Before long you’ll be great.

I am with @Derkd9 and @hvyhaul If you are handy with sharpening stones etc, spend a few bucks for something made with good steel, otherwise grab the Canadian tire special with the little plastic sharpener thing. No shame in using that!

And when you do wear out a knife, spend $15 on a basic sharpening stone, watch some YouTube videos and practice. Before long you’ll be great.
Ya think I will buy something decent and a stone. Have a rapala now that I’ve had a while time for an upgrade

Only the Shadow knows @Trevor M lol.

I have 2 of them (& Chef's knife) and then a number of others.

Honourable mentions....

Henkel slicer, absolutely amazing knife for cooked meat and my favourite, a gift from The Wife, a Shun Premier boning knife.

Took me a while to get comfortable with its sharpness. LOL. 🌻

I use a Rapala Deluxe cordless for a lot of walleye, pike, etc to peel off the fillet..OK but seems a bit weak..I liked the Bubba a bit better.
I use a long 12" blade soft handle commercial fillet knife I got in Maine many years ago. Awesome knife, really good stainless looks brand new.
I also make knives..here is a 10" blade I did last year. High carbon steel from an old saw blade I found on Lake Nipigon. I use it a lot for trout and salmon..its a bit stiffer.

20210415_140128.jpg

What really makes a difference in any kind knife but particularly with thinner fillet knifes is the type of steel. Rapala knives are popular because they can be sharpened quickly and easily at home with a cheap sharpener..because they use soft steel for blades. Drawback is you have to sharpen them frequently..every couple of fish.
Good quality blades usually have a harder high carbon steel..its what I use..but most people don't have the tools, time, or knowledge to really sharpen them properly...but when they are sharp, they stay sharp for a long time. Both styles have their pros and cons

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks