Fishing Report When Lake Erie blows, Ontario delivers.

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Would have loved to go back to the lighthouse for more Steelhead excitement, but Erie wasn’t having it and Lake Ontario is flat as a pancake. Good way to wrap up my vacation.

First off, kings are far easier to land then acrobatic steelhead. Got 9/9 so far but 7 were babies. These two are coming home to spend some time with the Traeger then coming with us to a BBQ tomorrow.

Big ones on flasher fly combo, small ones on spoons in 130fow.B0CE71C5-662E-48BA-AC2D-33A2A4FCE460.jpeg

Solution
Yup, Brown. Maxillary beyond the eye is the best ID feature here. The Maxillary of an Atlantic will not extend past the eye (except in a few very large male specimens in full spawning colours. Never seen an example in the Great Lakes). The general shape and thickness of the caudal peduncle (wrist of the tail) are also good indicators.
IMG_20220722_161944.jpg

Josh
Yup, Brown. Maxillary beyond the eye is the best ID feature here. The Maxillary of an Atlantic will not extend past the eye (except in a few very large male specimens in full spawning colours. Never seen an example in the Great Lakes). The general shape and thickness of the caudal peduncle (wrist of the tail) are also good indicators.
IMG_20220722_161944.jpg

Josh

Solution
Would have loved to go back to the lighthouse for more Steelhead excitement, but Erie wasn’t having it and Lake Ontario is flat as a pancake. Good way to wrap up my vacation.

First off, kings are far easier to land then acrobatic steelhead. Got 9/9 so far but 7 were babies. These two are coming home to spend some time with the Traeger then coming with us to a BBQ tomorrow.

Big ones on flasher fly combo, small ones on spoons in 130fow.View attachment 61036
The one on the right is a dandy Coho. ;)

But the mouths were all black inside?
Coho always have some black inside the mouth. Its the gums, where the base of the teeth erupt from that is lighter on Coho and dark on Chinook, tough to see in your pic. We can easily Id by noticing the lack of spotting and the much tighter angle on the anal fin of the Coho vs the Chinook in the middle 😉IMG_20220722_194352.jpg
Josh

Last edited:
Finished the day 11/15. 10 kings (7 were just shakers) 1 brown. Biggest was just under 9. Brown was just under 5. Not a @vmuravin calibre smack down but fine by me. :)

I think it will be a hit at the BBQ tomorrow.
Don't say that - you had a Smackdown of the right caliber! We did ok yesterday, I am too lazy to write a report but we did something like 25 fish on 32-33 bites... if you were in the right place, it was a pandemonium all morning... 4x header and 3 3x headers... A buddy of mine off Ashbridges has 40+ bites by noon... congratulations man that is definitely a Smackdown!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks