Detroit river walleye run

@stomp, you're thinking water is too cold yet? I know earlier on it was said that we should wait till temps were 45 degrees.
I'm not sure about early or late; sounds like fish are being caught now. I think @big rod suggested tipping jigs with live bait when the temp is below 45 degrees as a rule of thumb used down there.

I picked up the boat this afternoon, all the rods and net and gear are loaded back in, batteries charged, boat hooked on, ready for 5:00am..:eek::eek::eek::banghead: I'm just going to appempt to update my navionics chip tonight( never tried that before). And I should be ready to roll for the morning, I'm gonna try tomorrow. I hope the water isn't too chocolate milk after the Sunday night rain storm. Either way, it will be good to hit the water again.

I picked up the boat this afternoon, all the rods and net and gear are loaded back in, batteries charged, boat hooked on, ready for 5:00am..:eek::eek::eek::banghead: I'm just going to appempt to update my navionics chip tonight( never tried that before). And I should be ready to roll for the morning, I'm gonna try tomorrow. I hope the water isn't too chocolate milk after the Sunday night rain storm. Either way, it will be good to hit the water again.
You should be good clean enough after the thurs storms on the weekend

I picked up the boat this afternoon, all the rods and net and gear are loaded back in, batteries charged, boat hooked on, ready for 5:00am..:eek::eek::eek::banghead: Either way, it will be good to hit the water again.
Now that's what I like to read! Giver Hell!

That's a great shot @GPS. Those freighter captains and pilots must just love walleye season on the Detroit River.....that's not even half of busy either, some days there's 10 times that many boats in that stretch of water!

image.jpeg Ok.... Maiden voyage over, to the D. I got skunked , lol, but my fishing partner managed this trophy!:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Ok so not a trophy, but damn it we got one! Thanks to all who posted tips on fishing the D. They were very much appreciated. It was great to meet you today on the water as well @G.Mech. I hope your day finished better for you than when we talked.
Holy cow boat control....... Until you get there and try it, you can't appreciate what it takes to keep the boat doing what you want, and to keep your line vertical. The big south winds gusting and the current pushing...... It took a lot of patience , I lost two jigs:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::whistle:(n)(n) To the the trolling motor, due the big gusts stopping the boat dead, and spinning it at the same time, and we lost 2 on the bottom due to snags when we had the boat going too fast, and dragging our jigs. Water temp, was 40-41 degrees and clarity was surprisingly good. I bought fin s minnows before heading down , thinking the water would be real muddy, so I bought bright colours. .... Might have been a mistake. we did not see many other people boat a lot of fish either. On the water by 9:00 am, back on trailer around 1:30pm, where we had a lovely visit from a conservation officer. Fishing partner was prepared, had his licence ready to show. ...... Do you think I could find mine???? Tore the boat apart looking for it, then saw my wallet still in the boat and..... Phew found my licence. ( I alway leave my license in my tackle box in my boat, got pretty nervous when it was not there). Any way, he was a good guy, we all had everything we needed, and got home safe. I'd call it a good first trip of the year.

It was a tough day for sure and we didn't see or hear of many fish being caught from Lasalle all the way up to Lake St Clair. We started off sucking and went downhill from there but we sure covered a lot of water! It was fun to get out at least but I think it's still pretty early and next week's weather won't do much to help thing along I'm afraid...

I also gave the River a try yesterday and experienced the same outcome notta.. Having said that it was nice to get out and look forward to getting out again next week. Hopefully with a better outcome (y)

Tight lines

RT

Me,Reeldrag n Chuck last Sunday.Its not how deep u fish its how u wiggle your worm.
ry%3D480

Another tough day on the Mighty D again today. Canadian side is horribly muddy and essentially unfishable. Water is still only 41-42 degrees and the fishing was tough from Windsor all the way down to Amherstberg. If you're heading down, better get your Michigan License and bring some extra patience. Tomorrow is gonna be a zoo on the far side of the river where the clean water is.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks