What is this fish called?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Quizzing 68! Just for fun.

What do you call this fish?

1610147880400.png

Aside from the disagreements.... who the heck answered none of the above???

Yaaaaah Zander and walleye the same fish
I get the argument about pickerel and walleye
That’s stretching it but good one
Nice trick question
Better get the fact checkers in to check the authenticity of that photo

Haha yea. Cats out of the bag so the correct answer is...

E2F2A766-08FB-443C-82FD-7C4F3894CA98.jpeg

We were watching a travel show a week or two ago and they were ice fishing in Poland and pulling these gigantic (what I thought were walleye) out of the holes and I couldn't believe how huge they were.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zander

The zander has a maximum published standard length 100 centimetres (39 in), although they are more commonly found at around 50 centimetres (20 in).[2] This species can reach 20 kg (44 lb)[10] of weight, although typical catches are considerably smaller. The IGFA All-Tackle world record zander was caught in Lago Maggiore, Switzerland in June 2016 weighing 11.48 kg (25.3 lb).[11] Zander reach an average length of 40–80 cm (15.5–31.5 in) with a maximum length of 120 cm (47 in).

😳

Quizzing 68! Just for fun.

What do you call this fish?
It depends on who you're talking too and maybe more importantly sometimes, how old they are. I know many people that are my dad's age or older who have and will always call them pickerel and nothing you say, nothing you show them in terms of "scientific" terminology etc will ever change their mind. As the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Likewise, nothing you say will ever change the minds of those who are adamant that "walleye" is the "Americanism" of the fish. Having been where I have throughout this country, I KNOW that's not true because this same argument, is it a walleye or is it a pickerel takes place everywhere I've been (of the 10 provinces and 3 territories that make up this great country, I've been to 7, NWT, BC, AB, SK, MB, ON, QC.) and I've asked CO's in each place I've fished, which of those places I've been the only one I haven't fished is Quebec, and I've been told the same thing, "technically and scientifically, it's a walleye, but in certain parts of Canada it's also known as a pickerel even though that's not technically or scientifically accurate. However, most people know what fish it is you're talking about regardless of whether you call it a pickerel or a walleye."

As I've said before, I've referred to it as both, if someone tells me they caught a 10lb pickerel, or a 10 lb walleye, I KNOW what they're talking about, but mostly I just like to call them LUNCH. 🤤🤤🤤;)🤪

o_O I must have been living under a rock as this is the first I've ever heard of a Zander. What's in the future now... got my 6 limit this morning comprised of 2 walleye, 2 pickerel, 1 sauger and 1 zander? :jawdrop: :LOL:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks