Minn Kota garbage....

B

big rod

My boat is 10.5 years old, during that time i have smoked 3 Minn Kota electric motors. The first one lasted 4 years but i went through 3 foot pedals , the third one is dead right ( 2 X Terrovas) now waiting for me to replace a bearing, brushes and a seal kit because it leaked and froze. Trying Motor Guide next time. My Yamahas are purring like a kitten ten years later though. Any old MinnKota owners out there that switched to Motor Guide?1591891490178.png

Dad's boat had a Minn Kota and I absolutely hated the thing buy a xi5 u will never go back. I use the 3 blade prop on big water and it is awesome much more responsive and I find heading lock and anchor mode much better on the xi5 than the minn Kota. When they all become brushless like the Lowrance I'll be trading mine in

I have used Minn Kota motors for years with no problems. Lived in Manitoba for years so always took them off and into the basement for winter. Of course I am willing to bet you use your motor more than I use mine. By the way thanks for a couple of great trips on the "D" when you were guiding.

Are you sure it's not all the duct tape getting fouled in the prop?? It looks like you had Red Green on board ....:D. On second thought, it can't be the prop getting fouled, there isn't one on that motor.....that could be a problem too.

My friend switched to the motor guide last year. He likes it more but he had the old generation V2 before. The only complaint- no display on the remote.

My boat is 10.5 years old, during that time i have smoked 3 Minn Kota electric motors. The first one lasted 4 years but i went through 3 foot pedals , the third one is dead right ( 2 X Terrovas) now waiting for me to replace a bearing, brushes and a seal kit because it leaked and froze. Trying Motor Guide next time. My Yamahas are purring like a kitten ten years later though. Any old MinnKota owners out there that switched to Motor Guide?View attachment 23858
I can second that. I wasted over $1300 on a I pilot 55 12 volt. What a piece of garbage. I too it back twice for repair and they cant fix it loses signal. The remote fails to turn on
The prop get locked on occasion. Spot lock doesnt work. It seemingly has a mind of it's own. This past week when fishing north it stayed on after the remote shut off.i had to scramble to pull the power plug or run into rocks..junk ...buy a motor guide or anything but a power drive.....I sure miss the old cable drives...maybe the high end units better but for $1300...come on..junk

It could be that it just couldn’t stand the load of pulling that fibreglass tank around! Now if it was a light streamlined boat like a Lund.... LOL sorry couldn’t resist!

The newer motors by Garmin and Lowrance I believe do not come in long shafts at this point in time. They are great motors being brushless but very expensive right now as they are newer technology. I put an XI3 60 inch 70lb thrust on this spring and so far love it.

Are you sure it's not all the duct tape getting fouled in the prop?? It looks like you had Red Green on board ....:D. On second thought, it can't be the prop getting fouled, there isn't one on that motor.....that could be a problem too.
Thanks i will take the duct tape off and try putting a prop on it.LOL. This board is awesome, so are the moderators.

I can second that. I wasted over $1300 on a I pilot 55 12 volt. What a piece of garbage. I too it back twice for repair and they cant fix it loses signal. The remote fails to turn on
The prop get locked on occasion. Spot lock doesnt work. It seemingly has a mind of it's own. This past week when fishing north it stayed on after the remote shut off.i had to scramble to pull the power plug or run into rocks..junk ...buy a motor guide or anything but a power drive.....I sure miss the old cable drives...maybe the high end units better but for $1300...come on..junk
It was my old PowerDrive that went through three foot pedals. I don't mind spending good money on something if it lasts, but Minn Kota products don't.

It could be that it just couldn’t stand the load of pulling that fibreglass tank around! Now if it was a light streamlined boat like a Lund.... LOL sorry couldn’t resist!
Good one ,LOL. My old Terrovas have trolled from Colchester to Florida and back. I am getting a Motor Guide X5 soon after this one dies again , which won't be long from now.

I have used Minn Kota motors for years with no problems. Lived in Manitoba for years so always took them off and into the basement for winter. Of course I am willing to bet you use your motor more than I use mine. By the way thanks for a couple of great trips on the "D" when you were guiding.
Thanks Keith. I enjoyed taking you and Marilyn. I hope all is well. 1591959948410.png

By the way , Motor Guide motors mount into the same mounting holes as Junk Kota.

It might have something to do with the amount of use they get!
I totally agree @m burr My 102 lb.thrust Minn Kota Terrova for example has never given me any issues & I have had it since I bought my lund,(yes lund) back in 2007,another product that @big rod despises,which he called a shower curtain a few weeks ago.The amount of use that the Minn Kota gets is definitely a big factor of course.Using a electric motor steady for an example on the Detroit River in that current such as @big rod did with the minn kota & others with electric motors to keep your line constantly vertical to get that walleye to bite,will eventually “burn” any motor out.Sorry @big rod for I know who you are for years,but I have never personally met you,but I had to “rant” for I have these product’s,and reading your comments makes me think that I have “junk” (lund & minn kota),which I personally feel that I don’t have. Bye for now,for I have better things to do such as by going to my 161 “whole blood ? donation” appointment today. 6951E60F-DA52-4D12-A676-AE21B0DA1C66.jpeg My “rant“ is over & I feel 101% better now!! ??? Tight lines & Fish ON!! ?????

I totally agree @m burr My 102 lb.thrust Minn Kota Terrova for example has never given me any issues & I have had it since I bought my lund,(yes lund) back in 2007,another product that @big rod despises,which he called a shower curtain a few weeks ago.The amount of use that the Minn Kota gets is definitely a big factor of course.Using a electric motor steady for an example on the Detroit River in that current such as @big rod did with the minn kota & others with electric motors to keep your line constantly vertical to get that walleye to bite,will eventually “burn” any motor out.Sorry @big rod for I know who you are for years,but I have never personally met you,but I had to “rant” for I have these product’s,and reading your comments makes me think that I have “junk” (lund & minn kota),which I personally feel that I don’t have. Bye for now,for I have better things to do such as by going to my 161 “whole blood ? donation” appointment today. View attachment 23865 My “rant“ is over & I feel 101% better now!! ??? Tight lines & Fish ON!! ?????
Use your boat from March till Nov. If i used my boat from mid May till Oct 1 they might last longer. Didn't even fish the river this spring. Whats the point of having gear if it can't be used . Oh it was "showerstall" not curtain .I am happy for you on the longevity on your gentley used fishing gear. When my Terrova dies you can have my old one,(free and free delivery) , we can finally meet when i head London way.Tight lines & Fish On!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks