Pickerel vs Walleye: Setting the Record Straight

Its a date! You're buying a Pickeral Lunch....I'm all over that like a glove on a monkey. Yeah, every man has his price....apparently free lunch is mine. Also, fished all across...coast to coast to coast. Job has afforded me this luxury.

King Joe, Outa Here!
Deal..but you have to ask for a fresh Canadian lake erie pickerel dinner ....and you give the tip!

When I started this Thread a week ago “Pickerel vs Walleye”, I didn’t think it would have so many Replies and Views. There have been several interesting thoughts and point of views. As I haven’t taken the time to read them all, I plan on doing so when I get some quiet time.

Attachments

• MY QUIET TIME.mp4
    1.4 MB
And some pure unadulterated BS too @Get Hooked ??

Wait a minute. ?

Are you trying to tell us in your own way that you don't believe us when we post some of the things we post to this forum? ? That you believe that the men and women on this forum have periodically engaged in the telling of stories that are, we'll say exaggerated, yeah that's a good word to use, exaggerated, or things that outright aren't true? ???

How am I supposed to take the advice I get here so often seriously if that's the case? ?????

Oh wait, I forgot......fishermen and women telling tall tales of the one that got away, or the one they caught but never took a picture of........my mistake, yeah, fishermen and women have been telling BS fish stories forever :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As an incredibly handsom rich young man I'm insulted to think my words aren't all way taken at face value. Further more how could anyone think for even a second that fisher people are less than honest? Shocked and saddened . Next you'll say I lie when you ask about my favorite speckle creek. Call them what ever you want ( pickerel) just don't call me late too lunch.
P.S. These are the good old days

So the one on the top is a walleye ?? Hunh always thought in Canada these were pickerel ...you know $16.99 lake erie pickerel dinner with a celery bread!!!
That's makes the bottom fish one of those nasty pike then right ...on a more serious note
There two were caught same place same time same lure. Cooked the same way. They both tasted great... it was absolutely difficult to tell which one tasted better.. more people should try eating pike , where thse came from nobody eats pike...Very easy to clean once you know how ( even easier with an electric knife) and awesome tasting.
Has anyone tried eating a grass/chain pickerel

Attachments

• 20190827_183500.jpg
    20190827_183500.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21
The name Walleye didn't come into use until 1933 when a think tank of biologists came up with it to stop the confusion of the many common names that were in use. So, at 70 years, my dad and grandpa grew up with the name Yellow Pickerel and I carried on not knowing any different. Even as late as the '60's the Seasons and Regs foldout for the province still called them Yellow Pickerel with Walleye in brackets for American Tourists

Yeah my brother moved to Alberta and lived in Leduc for over 30 years while working for Suncor but now lives in Nanaimo BC. He was trained by the Albertans to call them pickerel but I still called them walleye when I fished out there. They tried to train me but I told them all that walleye is correct just like your jacks are northern pike. They said you guys from the east don't know what your talking about and I said oh yes we do. Your slogan "west is best east is least" doesn't hold water when it comes to knowledge about fish names west knows least. They weren't overly impressed with the brother from Ontario that caught more walleye and northern pike than they did. LOL!!! ?

You mean you caught more of your "Northern Pike" with your fancy Ontario Super Shad Raps and Livetarget Hollow Body Frogs than the cowboys caught with their Five of Diamonds spoons, and more of your "Walleyes" with your high tech count-down spinners and Rattlin' Rogues than they managed with a yellow Maribou jig tipped with a hunk of flank steak? I don't believe it.

Yes, Dave524 is correct. 1960 regs show Yellow Pickerel, then in brackets the other common names (Dore, Pike Perch and Walleye Pike).

Good enough for me, like when trolling off Bruce and we are pulling in the victim and see that mouth gaping open...I say, "its a pic!!!!!"

Never say, its a walleye, I am not 'murican. Now a funny thing, further on in those regs has the limits. Yellow Pickerel was 6 in one day. Blue Pickerel (now extinct) was 35!!! No wonder they are gone. And yes, it was a blue pickerel and not a damn blue walleye.

1581110000132.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks