Pickerel vs Walleye: Setting the Record Straight

hey zander partner I too grew up catching pickeral up on nippissing off lavigne ontario too..;)

hey zander partner I too grew up catching pickeral up on nippissing off lavigne ontario too..;)
That's great.... I lived there ! Fished right under the bridge in the narrows ....there and catche bay or the sturgeon river mouth..used to make the run to hay narrows for muskie and hardwood islands and duck creek for bass....we never heard that evil word " walleye " up there unless there was yanks visiting..

wow you lived there....well it was tradition with our familys use to go up every late june and rent 3 to 4 cabins at au lys blanc fish camp (white lily) left there past the bridge.. we were out there fishin hardwood & oak islands gull rocks were a just a few hotspots... post spawn hungry pics...lots of pike a few big muskys along the way...perch & sm bass..ya thats going back 50 years ago..thanks to my grandfather to find the spot with his fishin buddys..and thats how it all started...ya that big 18 lb pickeral hanging on the wall where the pool table was at the gas pumps/store/restaurant...that one and another one a pair were caught at that time back in on bear lake. ya behind the bridge and go right to the back and portage that creek to get to it...ya we fished it when the creek water was high enough ..ya lots of history catchin nippissing pickeral...

Last edited:
wow you lived there....well it was tradition with our familys use to go up every late june and rent 3 to 4 cabins at au lys blanc fish camp (white lily) left there past the bridge.. we were out there fishin hardwood & oak islands gull rocks were a just a few hotspots... post spawn hungry pics...lots of pike a few big muskys along the way...perch & sm bass..ya thats going back 50 years ago..thanks to my grandfather to find the spot with his fishin buddys..and thats how it all started...ya that big 18 lb pickeral hanging on the wall where the pool table was at the gas pumps/store/restaurant...that one and another one a pair were caught at that time back in on bear lake. ya behind the bridge and go right to the back and portage that creek to get to it...ya we fished it when the creek water was high enough ..ya lots of history catchin nippissing pickeral...
Yes past the bridge way way back where it got deep again was some great largemouth spots. I found the fishing really dropped off come mid July. Had to travel to deeper water . Nice spot .

ya we targeted pickeral..and if we were earlier in june it was crankbaits..once the water started warming and weeds growing we went to wormharnesses..a friend of the family started coming up and brought his family...nice guy from ohio..an avid erie fisherman..and to make friends he brought us up a bunch of the new erie dearies ..and they worked really well along with our worm harnesses..ya it wasn't complicated chrome colorado blades with red beads...my favourite crank bait up there was the storm hot n tot perch...never took it off all week shap raps were secondary...those r things ya just don't forget..my uncle got biggest all time fish 50+ lake sturgeon..ya that was the mouth of the french full day trip..2 boats went.. i didn't go..

shore lunches were suppers back at camp ..cast iron frying pans non stop setup on the firepit..
we packed coolers for lunch for out on the islands..ya the snake lady at the end of oak island that lived in that old rustic cabin told us we can pull up on her island anytime...just don't kill my snakes..

Last edited:
Call them what you like,Pickerel or Walleye,(right below the pickerel label),View attachment 20383 they are now $19.99/lb. at one of the grocery stores in London yesterday. Enjoy your day & come ON!! river & lake walleye’s!!?????

Sure am glad I didn't have to pay those prices for what I have in my freezer, because when what I have in my freezer was caught, the prices were closer to $25/lb for "LUNCH," and those "elusive mythical creatures" that I have out there were priced at approx $21/lb when they were caught. :eek:

When I combine what I have out there in both "LUNCH and elusive mythical creatures," IF I had to pay those prices as they were when what I have was caught, that works out to a total price of more than half of what I get paid every month from my disability pension and I just can't afford or justify spending that kind of money to buy fish, when I can go catch it myself and have more fun doing so.

BUT perhaps the most important thing in this is THIS>>>>>> my wife won't make me sleep in the shed if I go catch it myself, :)BUT......... ?if I were to spend that kind of money to buy, that which I can go catch myself, she just might.:inpain::nailbiting:?

I love watching young guys lose their minds on Facebook and fishing sights when people call them pickerel. I grew up calling them pickerel, and I have no intention of changing that for anyone. Call them whatever you like they’ll always be pickerel in my boat.

I love watching young guys lose their minds on Facebook and fishing sights when people call them pickerel. I grew up calling them pickerel, and I have no intention of changing that for anyone. Call them whatever you like they’ll always be pickerel in my boat.
Ahahah completely agree.... there's the yank way then there's the Canadian way.....but in reality iam surprised the name walleye has caught on more and more ...they will always be pics north of the border for me

Ahahah completely agree.... there's the yank way then there's the Canadian way.....but in reality i am surprised the name walleye has caught on more and more ...they will always be pics north of the border for me
Tried to stay out of this...must not have had enough coffee today...or too much...either way. Jerkbait, you don't get it. The name Walleye has NOTHING to do with borders. Its what the species is called. Its not pickeral, which are a member of the pike (Esocidae) family...but walleye, which are a member of the perch (Percidae) family. Done and done. That you won't change to the correct name says more about you than your perceived geographic bias.

I know its hard, man. Old habits and all that. Even in the face of science and reality, its hard. Here in the west where I am currently hanging my hat, Bull Trout and Dolly Varden were thought to be the same and until only 1977 did the science confirm they are distinct species (the name walleye has been known for a hell of a lot longer, by the way). Before that, everybody incorrectly called bulls, Dollys. Many old die-hards still do despite knowledge. Doesn't make it right. It makes it stubborn. Nobody will think less of you for changing.

King Joe, Outa Here!

Hey if you're heading up my end of town, I'll be at the No Frills and Staples at Argyle, then the Canadian Tire in about 20 minutes.
Sorry @Trevor M for the very late reply back to you.I wasn’t heading to the east end of town,but instead,I was planning a trip with my McCafe to the very west end of town and all the way to Delaware 9943A5B9-ABD9-418C-B8E8-A76B57271395.jpeg & area by the Thames River.Maybe we could meet up one day somewhere in London. ? ? ??

Sorry @Trevor M for the very late reply back to you.I wasn’t heading to the east end of town,but instead,I was planning a trip with my McCafe to the very west end of town and all the way to Delaware View attachment 20423 & area by the Thames River.Maybe we could meet up one day somewhere in London. ? ? ??
No worries Red, what I had to get done didn't take as long as I thought it was going too, (of course when I was at Canadian Tire, I intentionally stayed away from the fishin stuff o_O.......I'm still hibernating;):LOL:) and by the time you had your McCafe, I was probably already back home LOL.

We'll likely end up meeting by accident someday both of us being in the same place at the same time.

No worries Red, what I had to get done didn't take as long as I thought it was going too, (of course when I was at Canadian Tire, I intentionally stayed away from the fishin stuff o_O.......I'm still hibernating;):LOL:) and by the time you had your McCafe, I was probably already back home LOL.

We'll likely end up meeting by accident someday both of us being in the same place at the same time.
Sounds great @Trevor M it’s a small world so the saying goes,and we could likely end up meeting somewhere by accident.?? The east end Canadian Tire store is my favourite one for fishing tackle,(that’s the only section of the store,were I will be at all the time-LoL),and the Hyde Park Canadian Tire store near me,is a close second out of all of the Canadian Tire stores in London.But,like yourself,I should not be goIng into the fishing tackle section,but,it does not hurt to look,right?? lol :ROFLMAO: ;)??

Tried to stay out of this...must not have had enough coffee today...or too much...either way. Jerkbait, you don't get it. The name Walleye has NOTHING to do with borders. Its what the species is called. Its not pickeral, which are a member of the pike (Esocidae) family...but walleye, which are a member of the perch (Percidae) family. Done and done. That you won't change to the correct name says more about you than your perceived geographic bias.

I know its hard, man. Old habits and all that. Even in the face of science and reality, its hard. Here in the west where I am currently hanging my hat, Bull Trout and Dolly Varden were thought to be the same and until only 1977 did the science confirm they are distinct species (the name walleye has been known for a hell of a lot longer, by the way). Before that, everybody incorrectly called bulls, Dollys. Many old die-hards still do despite knowledge. Doesn't make it right. It makes it stubborn. Nobody will think less of you for changing.

King Joe, Outa Here!
Why change our traditional name sakes ? Did we choose zed over zee? I dont think you get it....its very location dependant. Perhaps you havent fished all over Canada? It just happens the location dependency seems to be the border diesnt change much. You call freshwater drum sheepshead why? What's the Canadian reference for mountain lions? I could care less what you call it but some value the differences . It's not an old habit but like a treasured value that we can aleast maintain ( well some of us). Names change from place to place . You don't need to marginalize every one them because it not what you use!! You can call it a cross eyed catfish for all I care but when iam in Canada especially Ontario it's a pickerel to me.I have fished leech lake in Minnesota..there it's a walleye... I am going spring fishing in the French there it's a pickerel..done and done.

King Joe, Outa Here!
I'd buy you a fresh tatsy lake erie Walleye dinner ..but you know .....ahahhaha . I hear they are considering changing the menus now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201-063038_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201-063038_Chrome.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 18
Sounds great @Trevor M it’s a small world so the saying goes,and we could likely end up meeting somewhere by accident.?? The east end Canadian Tire store is my favourite one for fishing tackle,(that’s the only section of the store,were I will be at all the time-LoL),and the Hyde Park Canadian Tire store near me,is a close second out of all of the Canadian Tire stores in London.But,like yourself,I should not be goIng into the fishing tackle section,but,it does not hurt to look,right?? lol :ROFLMAO: ;)??

Very rare that I'll be out to the Hyde Park area, and IF I am, my wife and I will be at the Super Walmart, or the BFM store but we don't usually venture that far, something about some mall just east of that area and the strip mall across the street from it where she likes to go to at least once a month. We're finding that we go to the same places so often here in London, we don't have anywhere to go anymore, and we can't decide where we might want to go out of town just for something different :LOL:

Nope, doesn't hurt to look at all, unless you see something you REALLY want, but can't afford it at the time:cry:, that tends to hurt a bit especially when you KNOW, next time you go, it won't be there because someone else wanted it just as badly, and even if they couldn't really afford it, they decided they didn't need to eat for a couple days, and broke down and bought it anyways and we've all been there and done that before in a tackle shop. :ROFLMAO:

I'd buy you a fresh tatsy lake erie Walleye dinner ..but you know .....ahahhaha . I hear they are considering changing the menus now

WOW, those is expensive. Glad I gots lots of "Lunch" and "elusive mythical creatures" in my freezer right now so I don't have to go pay those prices to get my fix. I can just take some out, and probably make a meal as good if not better than I'd pay for one there LOL. (former chef before I was a truck driver, I tend to know my way around a kitchen lol)

Its a date! You're buying a Pickeral Lunch....I'm all over that like a glove on a monkey. Yeah, every man has his price....apparently free lunch is mine. Also, fished all across...coast to coast to coast. Job has afforded me this luxury.

King Joe, Outa Here!

Obviously everyone has too much time on their hands to argue this.Walleye,pickerel,breakfast,lunch or dinner.Its the same damn thing.As long as they cooperate and I get my fill.It don’t matter.
BTW it’s still pickerel to me?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks