Pickerel vs Walleye: Setting the Record Straight

In my early years of fishin I to called them Pickerel (60's and 70's) then for sum reason I started calling them Walleye. Off the tip of the tongue it's lot easier to say Walleye. Like Walleye Wings or Walleye Cheeks.

Okay alright already lets settle this once and for all. First the name Pickerel is derived from the English word "pykerell," meaning "young pike." Secondly the term "wall" in the walleye's name derives from the Icelandic word Vagl, meaning "film over eye" and also from the fact that the fish's eyes point outward, as if looking at the walls. That's like calling a crank bait a spoon so the reason why the correct name is walleye not pickerel. Saying "pickerel" is the correct name for walleye is like saying "ain't" is the correct word for isn't. If you really want to get it totally right just remember "a walleye isn't a pickerel." Okay so now are we all good with that??? :cool: ??

Photo #1 eye of a pickerel ~ Photo #2 eye of a walleye
1581182685839.png 1581182758813.png

PICKEREL

WALLEYE

Okay alright already lets settle this once and for all. First the name Pickerel is derived from the English word "pykerell," meaning "young pike." Secondly the term "wall" in the walleye's name derives from the Icelandic word Vagl, meaning "film over eye" and also from the fact that the fish's eyes point outward, as if looking at the walls. That's like calling a crank bait a spoon so the reason why the correct name is walleye not pickerel. Saying "pickerel" is the correct name for walleye is like saying "ain't" is the correct word for isn't. If you really want to get it totally right just remember "a walleye isn't a pickerel." Okay so now are we all good with that??? :cool: ??

View attachment 20590 View attachment 20591

PICKEREL

WALLEYE

View attachment 20590 View attachment 20591

PICKEREL

WALLEYE
I have always been good with that @Wave Runner ?? calling it a walleye,C48AD873-B9FC-4F1F-87B0-28FFEB4AA7F2.jpegACE17DCF-7FB9-4FA3-AB8A-44A8F153125F.jpeg and hopefully everyone else will call that species,a walleye as well!! By the way,your article is fantastic to explain the two different species of fish,& excellent work,you are also the #1 ”walleye hunter” of Lake Erie!! o_O in my eyes at least anyways!! ? ??? ;)?

Last edited:
@Red Hering ..WOW what a suck up that was !!!! hahahahahah. @Wave Runner : You were right on the money though..
YAH!! That was noticeable,(a suck up),wasn’t it.:D hahaha!! @Red Fisher ;) ?lol ? @Wave Runner asked me last year if I would like to do some walleye fishing this year with him out of his boat.I will likely partner up with him sometime this year on Lake Erie,(even though I have my own boat),but,he is great company,and I learned a few things about walleye fishing off him,on Lake Erie!!o_O?????

Yup it is gong to be a loooooooooooong training session time we get every fisher person on the same page. I sure hope I live that long !!!! Then I won't even know what the hell a fish is.

with all this debating about PICKEREL VS WALLEYE....I think its up to the individual to call it whatever,,, myself as a young kid many moons ago up in Red Lake my dad and all his buddies went pickerel fishing and brought home pickerel for a nice fresh pickerel dinner.. I too at a young age caught pickerel and to this day still do...i don't get upset or offended if someone catches walleye or eats walleye,,, to each their own,,,but I'll tell you one thing when I cook up a pickerel dinner my family enjoys every piece of pickerel i cook....by the way I'm having all my kids and grandkids over for a pickerel dinner....Pocono....Oh and by the way here are a couple of nice RED LAKE pickerel...

Attachments

• IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
If your paying $20.00 a pound for it you can call it what ever you want lol ?
Very true @highhopes at that price as you mentioned,you can call them whatever you want,such as in this photo at a local grocery store recently where I occasionally shop,they were using both names.AC71D041-AC59-4EAB-B32A-072A46E64A74.jpeg I would rather catch them myself,at that price!! ? ?:)

with all this debating about PICKEREL VS WALLEYE....I think its up to the individual to call it whatever,,, myself as a young kid many moons ago up in Red Lake my dad and all his buddies went pickerel fishing and brought home pickerel for a nice fresh pickerel dinner.. I too at a young age caught pickerel and to this day still do...i don't get upset or offended if someone catches walleye or eats walleye,,, to each their own,,,but I'll tell you one thing when I cook up a pickerel dinner my family enjoys every piece of pickerel i cook....by the way I'm having all my kids and grandkids over for a pickerel dinner....Pocono....Oh and by the way here are a couple of nice RED LAKE pickerel...
WOW nice walleye good going!!!! :)
Oh by the way did I read that right... you did say Red Lake also had pickerel in it? ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks