Your thoughts on a Dog

lifesabeech

I am going to ask on this Forum ....which do you think would be a GOOD family dog \
The wife is leaning towards a German shepard ......Nice choice but i am a Hound a blood hound kinda guy
Redbone black n tan doesnt matter LOL NO kids as we are well past those years
We live in a small one bedroom apt but i need the exercise and am willing to get up go out walk said dog, and do have a Dog friendly park near by ....kind of worried about the local deer herd tho !!!
Which breed would you suggest ?

PS NO Lap dogs Small breed thanks

We have always been Springer lovers but after we had to put our last one down at 7 due to cancer I wanted to look at another breed. We now have a 4 year old chocolate lab (we got as a pup) and she is just the best dog. We have only had one other that was as laid back and gentle with our 3 grandkids as this one. Mind you she lets us know when it's time for a walk and she is a play machine but overall she is a great dog. We still love springers and might get another one but they are way more energetic and needy as far as exercise goes. Mind you we have had a lot of lab owners tell us their dogs are still "spun" so maybe ours is an exception. The breeder where we got ours is still in the business if you are interested.

I have had the pleasure of having a red bone hound :D i know they put the nose ta the ground n hunt a DOG needs a job
i am just worried about the deer that are a few blocks away in our park (churchhill) as there is a big herd of deer yotes n other critters
LOL i have watched as others have taken walked their dogs thro an they never even notice the deer standing feet away
Bassets sound interesting i like the breed (y) the wife is worried they will want to (lick her face) ROFLMAO :p:ROFLMAO:
I have all the time in the World to train spend walk play with ......our Family Pet

Lab all the way I currently have a lab Bernese mountain dog rot mix she is a great dog the loves to play and walk my uncle actually just got another litter these ones I belive have German shepherd to if your interested let me know and I can get some pics for u

Another vote for a golden. Ours loves the walks, the water, the boat, the fishing and never strays from our property.

Bassets are great rabbit dogs. Hamilton Hunt Club just had their basset weekend where they take them out and hunt rabbits, something to watch and hear! We are golden retriever people. However they need A LOT of exercise, not just a walk around the block. He is a great hunting dog but if he doesn't work the p and v off everyday he can be destructive I run him at least 3k a day. IMG-20140520-01424.jpg Also don't underestimate a small dog. Our 12 lb yorkie can keep up with the golden on a run AND he is a great vermin hunter!! I've seen him kill mice and snakes, hes lightening quick. Unfortunately over the years they have lost what they were originally bred to do which is kill rats, now most just play dress up.

We had an English Springer for 14 years. Dumbest damn dog I have ever seen but loyal as hell. I got him as a hunting dog but every time he saw a gun... he would disappear and hide for two days. SOME HUNTING DOG!!! Still, I never had to worry about the safety of my wife or sons when I was not home. If he knew you... you could come and go out of our house at any time. If he did not... you were NOT coming though that door! Oh ya... and he absolutely hated tree rats. No more squirrel damage when he was at the house.
If you want smart... get one of those Australian Cattle Dogs. My son has one. What Rusty missed in the brains department... Sandy got in spades. You can actually see the gears spinning around in her head. :) :)

Two Jack's and a Wolf cross here, don't get either?
Over the yr's (60), we have raised a few dog's. Have had tattooed x-military shepherd, purebred lab, beagle, and one I think was half coyote/tan. All are sadly missed with many great memories.
Best ever was a Shepherd/Lab cross, have never seen a dog so smart and loyal. Suit yourself, but I would stay clear of rescue's, and pure bred's? Get a mutt/mix that has the trait's both you and mom want, if you can, see the parents, go with a pup, a few messes are well worth it being your dog?
Best of luck and please post what you get
Cheer's

I have a 7 yr old 90lb golden retriever, he doesnt bark other than when wanting in the house. always wants to be with people.
A very relaxed dog. not always bugging you for attencion.

Another vote for a Golden. I have one and great dog, Relaxed when you want him to be and ready to play when you want. Loves the water, it's his favourite thing in the world. He's also handy as he can retrieve the tv remote or other items
if you don't want to get up

We are on our second Springer, Great all around dog, not too big so it isn't going to eat you out of house and home. Which also means he doesn't crap like a horse. Nothing against Goldens but my parents had two and both were as dumb as a bag of hammers. Just my 2 cents

Attachments

• Bailey.JPG
    Bailey.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 4
Lab or the smartest dog Border Collie.
I like certain dogs, as long as someone else owns them.
Not me, because it ties you down.
Because you like a dog doesn't mean everyone has to like your dog.
Can't take it to your friends house, hair, scratch floors, snot on others pants, piss and crap to deal with, who's baby sitting, burden on someone else. so on.
Have to say my vote would be Border Collie.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks