Youngs Creek

Jwalsh

I was driving through Victoria on the weekend and thought I would go check out Youngs creek at the dam and see if there was any rainbows running yet. Well there was, a whole bunch of dead ones speared by the natives. There were 4 guys there spearing some pretty big bows, females and males. Pretty sad to see this but I guess its legal, right? But ethical? My brother went to check it out later in the evening and said there was now 10 guys down there spearing! Oh well...what can you do....

Call the mnr not that they can do anything or will do anything..
It is sad to see though I guess that's one more creek down the Crapper do to the natives being able to take as many fish as they want when they want even if it is a sanctuary right now

That's just my personal opinion Though

Just my two cents... Everyone should be restricted from fishing waters under a sanctuary period. It is bad enough that limits and seasons for species (and in this case, harvesting methods) do not apply equally to us all.

i once thought like you guys . years ago the natives were netting the thames river for pics damn near cleaned it out when asked by news crews why? they replied to feed there people. when told the amount they netted = about 2500 lb per member they said they traded the excess for other goods so as you can see this is very important for there survival . so everybody if you have a good day on the bay and have a few extra fish take a drive down to a smoke trailer and donate to the needy

Nothing Traditional about Mohawks spearing rainbow trout,
Rainbow had not been introduced to eastern north america when 6 Nations received their grant in upper Canada, they were not a traditional species used for food so I''m not sure how they can be granted a traditional right to harvest them?

It just makes me wonder how often these guys come to this spot and do this? If its once or twice in a season, I guess its not that bad. But if they are taking big mature fish out of the creek daily, that really must hurt the population. Hopefully we get some rain soon so they cant locate the fish as easily!

funny thing is i seen this at clear creek and on the venision already this year ....... but none of these guys were native!
Just as many non natives doing this too!

No I understand what your saying fish_for_life some people in general just don't care about the regulations or the laws

fishing for survival is a native way of saying we hunt like our ancestors but sell to restaurants like our father's....this is what they do with walleye after they gill net the thames..sell em to fine restaurants and on the reserve..man I wish I had a free education and fish when and where i want to privileges...not all natives are like this but this has been going on for ever...if you are going to give, give to your kids cause they are going to need it!

i once thought like you guys . years ago the natives were netting the thames river for pics damn near cleaned it out when asked by news crews why? they replied to feed there people. when told the amount they netted = about 2500 lb per member they said they traded the excess for other goods so as you can see this is very important for there survival . so everybody if you have a good day on the bay and have a few extra fish take a drive down to a smoke trailer and donate to the needy
Do not know many around southern Ontario that are needy.

I too have to say, I haven't run across anybody in Ontario that isn't being looked after (beyond what their capable off) sincerely submitted. Huron

First off.....I completly agree with the native population being able to partake in their traditions of fish harvest. However. I have yet to see a person from the native population walk to the stream from their homestead, create a device to spear fish and following that, transport them home.

Using flashlights, manufactured spears, nets, bows and knives should be prohibited.

Spearing is only one, of many way's, natives have to supply food for their family. They have a right to it. Modern technology however, is not part of their heritage.

Rules need to be applied to violators of the traditional system. The MNR or RCMP should have the right to charge any person, regardless of ethnicity, taking game outside of the traditional system or the legislated systems in place.

i agree with the post above - they need to get rid of their trucks, atv's etc. get a stick outta the bush, carve a flint arrow head and spear all they want with that - then carry them home or throw them on their horse. this is crap as far as I'm concerned.

funny thing is i seen this at clear creek and on the venision already this year ....... but none of these guys were native!
Just as many non natives doing this too!

In all honesty, they very well could have been indian. In todays world, you can be "white as white" and be classified as one.. That's what happens when the government hands out status cards to anyone that wants one.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks