Yak Attack, the dredging of Hullett Edition

King Joe

So, got a holeshot in my schedule and based on some of the discussions here, loaded the yak and headed out for an afternoon/evening hunt...rather, attempt at hunt/recon mission.

Was at the 1-20 channel by 245 and heading out by 3:00. BARELY enough water in channel to float the yak and if I stopped paddling, I basically stopped as was dragging bottom for most the channel. Additionally, the overgrow of the channel with brush extending into make paddling challenging also. Not looking good.

Made it to the junction (at #6) which 'should be' the beginning of consistent open water. Instead, a virtual continuous weed bed leading to 15-16 and barely a channel (flooded grass) towards 14,19 and 20. Not wanting to throw in the towel yet...pushed, pulled and dragged my ass (and yak) towards 14 thinking I'd round the bush island and head to 15 ('my' stake). Got past the junction shit and open water was not so much. Again, not much glide in the paddle as again, if I stopped paddling, I stopped as I was dragging bottom.

15...looks great as I dragged my way to it. Decided to go look at the main access/weed bed from 'this side'. Yep, weed bed...and I pushed, pulled and dragged my ass through it to see how hard it would be...should I decide to stay and hunt...and do that at night coming out. Would it be that the bottom was solid...the drag through the weeds wouldn't be too hard...not easy, but not too hard. But, with every step sinking 1-2' in muck with the random sunken branch added for tripping fun....I opted to pull the plug...and drag my ass out of there.

There is serious need for water in the marsh. I am used to low water in the access channel, especially early in the season....but the lake areas? I have never seen it this low. I understand cycling wetlands (dry-wet) is part of wetland management....but it has been several years now of low water. Yes, I understand Mother Nature has to help with rain/snow BUT, we were not in drought conditions (like the prairies).

On a good note, while diver ducks will be mostly affected by no big water....puddlers will love it. In my sweat-infused couple hours...I did see good groups of woodies and mallards cruising around and the sanctuary looked pretty busy with ducks and geese. As I say, it is always good to get out.....and hold to that....but....with such a shitty end of summer (wind wise) for yak attack fishing, I was counting on the gear shift to ducks. Next time, there is always next time.

King Joe, Outa Here!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks