Yak Attack, Burwell Sept 09 afternoon...3rd strike, yeeerrrrrrrr OUT!

King Joe

Well, there ya go. Windy called for a calm and calming bubble in the afternoon ranging from about Glasgow to Burwell...but 'more calm' for longer at Burwell. Not having Yak Attacked Glasgow ever, headed to Burwell and on water by about 3:00. Talked to a couple boats that were coming in...."hard bite", "few bites" (or none) and "out at 55'dow". My plan was to head to 40-ish and just work that water...with harnesses (feeling lazy today).

On way out, MUUUUDDDDDYYYYY water! Usually, I can see...even way out, the break from muddy to clear. Could not see it today. At 40', I set up....STILL muddy as hell with mud foam....wicked. Pretty calm so change of plans...continued out to try find clear water....45, 50, 55, 57...STILL friggin' muddy. Yeah, marking fish pretty regular...usually in a strip at about 17' or near the bottom....changed depths and speeds with harnesses...nothing. Oh also, surface water temp never left 73 degrees all the way out to 57....that is messed up water. At 57'...and not a sniff (I checked regularly....hoping)....and mud out still way beyond what I could see....I turned dejectedly back towards shore. Decided if I am fishing muddy and warm water anyway...and there was that band of marks consistently in the 17', might as well fish towards port and in the 40'.

Nothing on the cruise in to 35'. With about 1.5 hours left in the day, pulled the pin completing the THIRD skunk in a row (2 Erie, 1 ON). Can't remember 3 skunks in a row. May have to hit a local pond soon just to get the skunk stank off with a bass or sunfish....HAH.

King Joe, the Dejected, Outa Here!

Thanks for the report. If you decide to ever hit Glasgow, I'll give you a quick hello on the way out or in. Struck out in Burwell but a new game can start in Glasgow.

the wife and i were out of burwell wed. 3pm to 6pm south east in 62 feet.fish were 45 to 55 ft down which is right in our riggers wheel house.body baits then spoons.didn't move a rod.they had lock jaw.

Your not alone, the bite has been challenging all year for me as well. Throwing everything out behind the boat often second guessing my abilities. Looking at Windy now for a window for Sat, tomorrow. Maybe try Glasgow or Stanley.

Your not alone, the bite has been challenging all year for me as well. Throwing everything out behind the boat often second guessing my abilities. Looking at Windy now for a window for Sat, tomorrow. Maybe try Glasgow or Stanley.
Tomorrow looks no good for both with that east wind

Back