would like your thoughts

shorefisher

With a 14 foot fiberglass boat and a 6hp motor, do you think the boat would clip pretty good or be fairly slow? I just got this motor and boat so I was trying to get a ball park on how well it may do.

Not an expert but im gunna say with fiberglass being heavy and 6hp being small that you will be on the slow side. Only true way to find out is test it.

It's going to be very slow, in a light chop it'll hardly go forward. Been there before, works well for resovoirs and channels though :)

I used to have a 15' Fiberglass with a 60" beam and a 35 hp Johnson.. it went pretty good I suppose. I wouldn't take it past Wooley's or the pumphouse though

Thank you all for the info, hey road kill if I launch out of old cut how far out would you think be safe? I have never launched from there before so I am all new to the area

Thank you all for the info, hey road kill if I launch out of old cut how far out would you think be safe? I have never launched from there before so I am all new to the area

Road kill is referencing Dover land marks, not really (safely) accessible from old cut in a small craft. Provided your boats in good working condition the inner bay would be your safest bet, but as always the weather is what determines "safe".

With this weekend as bass opener should I launch out of Rowan or old cut? I don't want to be "that guy" pissing people off while I launch for the first time. Which of these two launches would be busier? Or is there another one that may not be the busiest?

From my past experiences at the opener their all gonna be busy. Just make sure you have everything ready: mooring lines, plug in etc...nothing will piss people off more than a guy who isn't prepared at the ramp. Everyone of us has been the "new guy" at the ramp before, have fun and be safe.

For someone with a new rig and very underpowered stay off of Lake Erie. This weekend isn't the time to launch anywhere as a novice. Last weekend there was a 10 boat line up at Port Burwell and Bruce. Put your boat in at the Port Dover marina and fish the Lynn River, better yet pick a small body of water like Jordan Harbor for your first time with that rig. I don't want to sound harsh but you have no business going into Long Point bay without experience on the bay and knowing what your boat can do. You are asking for a disaster with that small underpowered boat.

Heck if you don't know how fast or slow it will be tells me you have never been on the water with it. You don't know if it will hold water, as well you don't know how the motor runs. You really want to get someone upset ask to have you towed in after they have been waiting for opening all winter, forget about launching on Erie, please, until you know the area and your vessel, please.

Sorry Shorefisher.. yes, I was referencing Port Dover. it's only a few minutes to drive to Wooley's and the pump house from Port Dover Marina, with good fishing results.. I wouldn't go from the Old Cut to Dover with that size boat. Waves can whip up quickly.

Looking at well under 10pmh.
Loaded 14 ft with a casting deck and 15 HP doesn't get over 13mph with two guys in it. And that's an aluminum.
Your gonna chug and putt. I wouldn't do big water on any but the best days. The inner bay can be just as nasty as the outer, although I guess you can just stand up if you wreck.

There is a subsequent thread that addresses this question but 14 ' and 6 hp has no business being more than a few hundred feet offshore. I'm sorry to say this but I thought it was a joke question at first. How busy launch is on Sat is sort of irrelevant.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks