Worm Harnesses

DaveJ

I've been using harnesses for years on Lake St Clair, Lake Erie in the western basin..but always off bottom bouncers or with inline weights like Lead Zepplins..shallowish water.
For deep water central basin, how are most people rigging them? Dipsies, downriggers, inline weights?
Ive always made my own and have a bazillion or so and want to use them!!

we've had success with bouncers, in-line and dipsy's. All have worked fine depending on what you're pulling. Caution though, when trying to use say bouncers and dipsy's at the same time you will have to play with the speed and line out to get the different set-ups working at the same time. If you're pulling all bouncers the speed and line out is based on how heavy your bouncers are. If you're down 50ish feet, it's challenging to feel when the bouncers hits the bottom.

Harnesses are our favourites but I'm pulling spoons these days when the bite is slow.

I would think pulling a weighted bouncer on a dipsey would be counterproductive. Would that weight tip the dipsey into a "rise" position slightly such that you'd have no idea where it is?

I commonly put harnesses on mostly dipseys straight up, why weight something on a dipsey?

I would think pulling a weighted bouncer on a dipsey would be counterproductive. Would that weight tip the dipsey into a "rise" position slightly such that you'd have no idea where it is?

I commonly put harnesses on mostly dipseys straight up, why weight something on a dipsey?
I think he’s saying when fishing the two methods at the same time but on different rods.

I meant pulling dipsy's and bouncers on different lines, not at the same time.

I only pull harnesses out of Glasgow and use 2 and or 3 ounce inline sinkers with a 5 foot harness. Never had I had to go deeper than 25 feet even when trolling over 60 fow. A tip when setting up. Set all your lines at 2 mph and when setup slow down to 1.5 and catch fish.
Here's a good chart.
depth-chart-300x300.png

I only pull harnesses out of Glasgow and use 2 and or 3 ounce inline sinkers with a 5 foot harness. Never had I had to go deeper than 25 feet even when trolling over 60 fow. A tip when setting up. Set all your lines at 2 mph and when setup slow down to 1.5 and catch fish.
Here's a good chart.
depth-chart-300x300.png
Or you can just use snap weights and be able to change weights without changing lines

No lines to change Wayne. 2 oz banana style inline attached to a snap swivel on the mainline

3,4&5 color core off planner boards. 4-5 ft behind Dipsy diver.
10-50ft off the rigger ball.
1-3oz Keel wieght with harness 4-5ft behind that.
Run them high or low it don't matter,run it like you would any other bait over big open water..they don't need to be any wheres near bottom to be effective..unless of course the fish are hugging bottom.

No lines to change Wayne. 2 oz banana style inline attached to a snap swivel on the mainline
well that is pretty much a snap weight then Bev.

Attachments

• snap weight.jpg
    snap weight.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 17
Here's a good chart.
depth-chart-300x300.png
OH thats perfect!!! Thanks so much.

Not at all the same. Snap weights need to be removed with every catch and then re-attached
But at least you can change weights without changing rods or changing lines

I've attached split rings and snaps to all my in-line weights. I even have the ability to attach an extra hook to the top of the in-line weight, I have noticed some tooth marks on the lead and it looks like something toothy has been hitting the lead. I have gotten great strikes and then they just disappear, then I see the tooth marks on the in-line. I use a double hook similar to Drifter II charters uses on his musky baits.

Thanks Octavius for the lead, that will defiantly be in the tool box when I move to the deep water. We're going to stick to the inner and outer bay for the summer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks