Woodland caribou NFLD hunt

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I took this nice mature bull feedin by himself on lichen at an easy 128 yards on my second day.. was huntin the bog and baren up on the gaff topsail just a little NE of a place called Buchans out in NFLD ...this bull has everything a caribou hunter would want..nice top palms , back scratchers or point off each main beam with good mass... and the bezs and double shovels are very creative...lol....if your countin points he has a respectable 32...with a couple of little breaks and mars and grooves from fighting other bulls during the rut...
The meat turned out to be excellent...the kill was also excellent.. takin 2 cartridges off the pod like a true trophy.. it was like actin out wild TV live...lol...I have been waitin a long time for a harvest like that..
So Anyway overall..I am very happy to finally get my woodland caribou....and a good one with.. and in style.

Buchans NFLD 2016 caribou hunt 019.JPG

Last edited:
The landscape is another reason why I hunted for my NFLD woodland caribou over the tundra or baren caribou in northern Quebec and labrador
This nice pic of the mornin fog was taken on the way headin back in on the same day

Buchans NFLD 2016 caribou hunt 013.JPG

Very nice! You have had a lot of amazing hunts that are only a bucket list dreams for most guys lol. Congratulations!!!

Mick, you want mule bucks? Try Invermere B.C. 14 km. south of Radium at the base of Kootenay National Park. We have just as many mule deer roaming the main st. as there are people. The deer are a bloody nuisance. It's not uncommon to have to nudge a deer out of the way to enter a shop. There are more mule deer here then skunks and raccoon's at the Toronto garbage dump. Please, come by and take as many as you want! As for white tail, well, when we were dropping the black bear hide at the tannery in Canal Flats, there was an 18 y.o. girl dropping off her white tail. I said "nice buck!" she said "no, it was a poor day today. Perhaps tomorrow I can bag a big one...Dad's going to laugh at me with this thing but better then going home empty handed" It was a 12 pt. buck!!! In SWO, that would be the talk of the season. The towns are few and far in between, all crown land and no Human predators...the animals grow... big!
Not sure if you ever hunted Eastern B.C. mick but, for sure worth looking into. Good luck with your critter list.:)

Well thanks alot for the info Cmac...when I was scouting for elk out in Alberta I did locate a couple herds of mule deer and watching with my binos graising was an experience I just don't get around here...and they are a very large bodied deer and i would be honoured to hunt a nice piece of landscape with a buck tag thats got the animals... BC is a long way to drive return so I would consider flying westjet right here from London...maybe out there for next season...maybe you could send me a pm on some specifics on the best way to get a tag and for what area...I am a post rut later season hunter and enjoy hunting food source oppurtunitys ambush sites are also fun once you pattern there movements...the animals are in great condition later season and there seems to be less hunting pressure and sometimes I get all the attention...lol

other then the classic Yukon Moose out in northern BC through Yukon and Alaska
if there was one critter I could pick to hunt and harvest It would be the ROCKY MOUNTAIN CARIBOU....I watched some rare filming on a beautiful bull that was taken by archery at high elevations in the mountains...this animal was magnificent...I am telling you the antlers were almost black and the hide was a gorgeous gray with just a little bit of white highlights....what an animal...I will never forget it I mean just the filming was spectacular...I called tombstone outfitters in the yukon that is right next door to Shockeys property and i mean we are talking tens of thousands to hunt either property and with shockey you have to sign a waiver that he has specific rights to all the 60 plus inchers on the moose..what so eva can shoot them...If i could hunt with eva I would consider it..then I could probably be able to swing it ...lol

Just to mention you and puddle jumper have to be some of the best big game hunters and fishermen on here that are really helpful to offer other fellow members helpful and useful info on about every topic posted...are forum is very lucky to have you guys on here....and I want to personally thank both of ya for your imput on helping others out..its much appreciated....me I am just a drama queen...lol...but hey I can put ya on the fish in a new york minute if ya listen to my reports....and thats no newfy joke either...lol

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks