Winter Fishing Ideas (Warm)

Rex

I'm considering a trip somewhere warm this year in February or perhaps as late as March.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

We have done a Costa Rica trip in May (caught nothing on the one full day trip out I could afford) Still have a dream of pulling in a sail fish. Prime season down there can get pretty expensive (Feb-March)

The Dominican was great for fishing, we did well with the dolphin fish and some cudas. Some of the guys didn't enjoy the 10-12ft waves to the point of :vomit:I didn't mind at all. That rum was delicious!

The dolphin fish cooked on the beach was the best tasting fish I've ever eaten! But it was expensive on the resort and wasn't planning on "camping" for $3k a week. (no AC)

Appreciate anyone's comments.

Second response for Cabo San Lucas.......been traveling and fishing there for 20yrs plus....almost never let's me down. Great Vacation destination and probably the best value for Sport fishing on the planet. Been to the keys...been to other Mexican resort areas and keep going back to Cabo.

Use aqua world out of cancun mx. Have pounded sails every time out with them....take the 8 hr day and we just go 2 on the boat just in case. Last year was the first time we stopped and cast to them with spinning gear... what a hoot. Time before we went out for amber jack after the sails slowed down and landed a lot of those too. Its not cheap to charter a whole boat but theres a big difference in playing 10 to 15 sails and then landing over 30 amber jacks on a trip vs sharing 5 or 6 hook ups with some people you end up on a boat with. Cabo fishing has not been great for me but only went there one year and the fishing was off at the time for the whole fleet. Wherever you go have fun.

I've been to Costa Rica twice in prime season (one trip in February and one in January) and had success both times. I've fished both inshore and offshore. On one of the trips, my wife and I charted a boat to ourselves for a full day offshore. We went 9/10 on sailfish and it was probably one of the most exciting days of fishing I've ever had. It definitely is expensive, however, I booked directly with a small company that owned and operated two boats. My research lead me to believe most of bookings down there happen with booking agents and they subcontract out one of the many boats. It saved me a couple hundred bucks and the service was great. We stayed in Manual Antonia and fished out of Quepos. I'd go back in a heart beat. I loved it there. Plenty of things to do other than fish also.

Last edited:
consider bluefields nicaragua, the lowest crime rate in central america nad the greatest diversification of species from tarpon to snapper back to bonefish . and best bang for the buck. costa rica 10 years ago prices . GOOGLE IT WORTH A LOOK

Thank you everyone!

I LOVE Ice fishing, trick is getting the good company who are willing to join me. North bay used to be the place to go, been pretty slow up there lately.
Joey, love the posting! I tried the full day and got skunked but that was in May.
I'm still dreaming of those big sails.
I'm off too google bluefields!
Cheers guys!

I love Cayo Coco I fish every day for about 4 hours high tide and slack works great, my wife likes to sun bath for about the same 4 hours. Cost 5 pesos there and back by cab. catching lots of snapper, jacks and some cuda's. going in Feb. next year went in Jan. this year, best day was 11 fish caught. Certainly can't beat the price for fishing every day. Might try renting a bike this time about a 3 km. ride each way from the hotel to the fishing spot.

i fished that bridge and the whole key, i wanted to see the 6 lb averarge snapper pics you were catching? and where you were fishing as i have fished there for 15 years and never seen a 6lb average snapeer in cayo cococ even in cayo pardron which is a 45 minute taxi ride and 30 minute boat ride . so i intrigued.

I have never had a bad trip in the Fla Keys. Islamorada is my favorite and second would be a small Marina on Little Deer Key. That was on a fluke we ended up there and met a charter guy off the beaten path and took us out basically for his cost plus a tip. The exchange rate will kill you now though, grrrrrr.

Not sure what to tell you chef could be the time of year, the time of day, type of bait even the presentation, lots of variables, Oscar sure helps he is very knowledgeable.

JJ1, welcome aboard new member. You will find some of us here are naysayers. If you say it you gotta prove it. Even then photos can be doctored and tapes can be stretched.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks