Winter Battery storage and charging

Morecowbell23

Just put the boat in the garage and removed the three batteries into the house.
Just purchased a Noco Genius gen 3 bank charger and was wondering if it is ok to leave them on charge all winter while we are down south for six months. Should I be worried about hydrogen fumes with a gas furnace. Magnacharge batteries.
Thanks Blair

Top them up and leave them alone. Overcharging is way worse than sitting for Deep cycle batteries. Mine get beat on for 3 months, down to 20% remaining, recharged as soon as I get home, and then stored in late December without thought for 5 months. A quick charge before first use again and good to go. 3rd and 4th year running.

I used to remove mine but the last two years I just charged them with the on-board charger , and leave them alone, It is in a heated shop all winter , No issues in the spring !

I just plug in onboard charger and when it's time to tarp her up I un plug and forget about them till next spring dec 29 last trip last year I am on 4th season now

I always leave my lead acid batteries in the boat for the winter fully charged on a 2 amp trickle charger. The boat is in my unheated garage and got 10 years out of my last set of Marine RV deep cycle/starter batteries.

Just put the boat in the garage and removed the three batteries into the house.
Just purchased a Noco Genius gen 3 bank charger and was wondering if it is ok to leave them on charge all winter while we are down south for six months. Should I be worried about hydrogen fumes with a gas furnace. Magnacharge batteries.
Thanks Blair
I got the idea to contact Magnacharge and and I received this.

Hi ‎Blair:
I received your question via the request a quote from our website concerning charging our batteries with the Gen 3 NOCO charger while you are away for a long period of time.
I would put them on the charger and make sure that the charger does charge the batteries fully ‎and then turns off into its maintain mode.
When the charger does reach the maintain mode it should be fine to leave it on the charger while you are away. The NOCO charger should only turn back on into a charge setting when it feels a drop in voltage.
I wouldn't worry about hydrogen as it is only produced in the final stages of a heavy charge. It would have to be ignited by a source of flame directly. An explosion in this sense is very rare.
If you have any further questions please never hesitate to call me.
Have a great day, enjoy your travels, and thank you so much for using Magnacharge Battery.

I agree with Wave Runner...I leave my batteries in boat with trickle charger all winter. Just be sure that the charger kicks off when fully charged and back to trickle when low again...I have heard some chargers don't and bad for the batteries to keep charging when full.

Buy battery tenders for each battery and leave them plugged in all winter.

Buy battery tenders for each battery and leave them plugged in all winter.

I agree with this as well; now that the batteries are already out of the boat. You could actually get away with one tender and connect all three batteries in parallel; like you would while boosted a car's battery. Fully charge the batteries with a regular charger and then connect the tender to them. That's how I keep my stock of batteries (10 batteries) charged and ready to go, when a customer needs one installed.
The tender is always connected to them and plugged in.

Dan.

I agree with this as well; now that the batteries are already out of the boat. You could actually get away with one tender and connect all three batteries in parallel; like you would while boosted a car's battery. Fully charge the batteries with a regular charger and then connect the tender to them. That's how I keep my stock of batteries (10 batteries) charged and ready to go, when a customer needs one installed.
The tender is always connected to them and plugged in.

Dan.
From what Ive read about the Genius 3 that I bought it will bring the batteries up to full charge and go to maintence mode after that and only charge when each battery requires it.
I was concerned about gases coming off while charging and no one in the house to keep and eye on it.
Thanks all for your input.
Blair

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks