• Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I'll tell you on Saturday morning

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

wally hunter

Soooo from looking at the long range winds for Saturday & Sunday out of the east I'm thinking Burwell might be the place to go. Thoughts???

For me Perdict Wind and SailFlow are usually fairly reliable...

... BUT I AM SCRATCHING MY HEAD OVER THIS SATURDAY.... PWG winds are almost dead calm but nearly 1M waves????

Either way this weekend is looking favourable!!

For me Perdict Wind and SailFlow are usually fairly reliable...

... BUT I AM SCRATCHING MY HEAD OVER THIS SATURDAY.... PWG winds are almost dead calm but nearly 1M waves????

Either way this weekend is looking favourable!!

View attachment 14559
down to .4 now I don't typically check too much until Thurs at the earliest for the weekend.

I usually check the following websites: Pt Stanley weather buoy, CTV local, windfinder, environment canada, the weather network, windy.com and wunderground for Malahide/Copenhagen (which is usually very accurate up to 3 days out, but like all weather predictions, any more than 3 days, you're mostly guessing and hoping you're right unless we're talking hurricanes, and winter storms, they seem to always get those forecasts mostly right.) and then I trust what my eyes tell me when I look out the window to see what the top of the trees are doing.

I know yesterday and today the winds were supposed to be 30km/hr gusting to 50km/hr out of the SW. I don't think they got there yesterday, nor do I think they're going to get there today but that forecast and what I saw the top of the trees doing was enough to keep me home both yesterday and today. BUT......what it's doing here at home in London, and what it's doing when I get to the lake are almost always completely different.

As an example, I've left home with a slight NW wind blowing as predicted by all weather sites and local news I check, and my eyes said go fishing. So I go. When I get to the top of the hill heading into Pt Bruce, stronger winds, from the NE, different than forecast or what was happening at home, and when I get down the hill to the lake and park at the pier, I ask why I even bothered, because even though it's forecast light out of the NW, and it was NE at the top of the hill above PT Bruce, and I have never understood this, it's blowing strong out of the S, SW or SE and unfishable, but......... it was a nice drive.

My general rule of thumb for sitting on the pier, especially this year with the water being so high, is when I check all those sites, if they say that within an hour or two it will be or it already is blowing better than 15km/hr out of any southerly direction, and when I look at the tree tops out the window if they're not just swaying but somewhat bending, I'll save my gas and go another day that looks more favorable which is why I stayed home yesterday and today, and will go either Thursday or Friday, maybe both when the forecast is more favorable, providing they get it right, which is generally rare in the summer, but almost always dead on accurate in winter.

I'm looking out my window and the tree tops are barely moving. Every once in a while there's a gust that bends them or makes the neighbors flag stand up. My eyes are telling me, go fishing as they were yesterday BUT.......all those sites I check are telling me the same thing they did yesterday, that at the lake, the winds are stronger blowing at or above 20km/hr already. Its one of those damned if ya do, damned if ya don't decisions, but past experience and wasted gas tells me, stay home, get stuff done around here that needs to be done, that way when the winds and weather do cooperate later in the week, there won't be any objections about wanting to go. Time to wake the cat up by vacuuming the furnace vents LOL.

I'm in Paris right now. Trees moving, flags always moving sometimes straight out.

There used to be ☹️ a great big flag on the north side of the 401 just before 59 coming from the east that was a great tell all.

Not up anymore, and it is missed.

Windfinder on this site is usually pretty accurate. But it does constantly change. Always check before leaving what it is actually doing then check Port Stanley wave height before making a decision to hit the road down to the lake. This always works for me.

I'll be on the pier tomorrow and probably Friday as well. I would have gone today too, but that is pushing it a little:whistle:. Boss lady might not be so pleased if I were to go that often in one week LOL.:LOL:

I'm hoping that on at least one of the two days I have even remotely close to the same kind of success I had last year around this time, (June 9th ) when I brought home 21 of the 25 yellows I caught. Looking at the file I keep, last year more than half of the 140 yellow perch I caught were caught between June 9th and 20th. That might be wishful thinking though this year, the same kind of wishful thinking that'll see me finally catch a 5-6lb walleye (or bigger) off the pier. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks