Wind

Tiny

I have a 17 ft boat just getting into lake fishing could someone tell me the max wind speed a new guy to the lake fishing should be aware of want to have a good day out there not a nightmare thanks to anyone who responds

Well Tiny I can tell you its a crap shoot most days. I have a 19ft deep vee, I have missed so many days worrying about wind im actually thinking of selling the boat. The one think I have learned is anything forecast under 12-15 kms your best to go and look yourself.
ALSO if Erie looks like crap( which it almost always does) consider Ontario. Seems the 2 lakes trade off bad wind days.

I don't like anything over 10 kph myself, once it gets to 15 kph it's getting on choppy side, 20 kph from any direction is rough. If your fishing perch within a mile or so of shore then 15-17 kph from the north is still fine. If your going deep for pics and bows then I keep within the 10kph with anything out of the south for my old bottom end. :D

Thanks guys this will help I do have a deep v boat with a 70hp but just concerned and it never hurts to ask other yacht's mans

Everyone seems to be comfortable with different scenarios and best to learn for yourself.
I agree mostly with the above posts.
I'm in a 16ft DeepVee fibreglass bowrider.
I'll go out under 20km/hr winds but if it's above 15km/hr I like to drive by the pier first, waves at the mouth of the pier generally worse then what it's like out in the open water.

Have an 18' tiller and you really have to read the forecast, and take the average of multiple forecasts. Many days the wind will come up and then drop off. Trolling or perching in 3-4 foot rollers is fine. Getting there and back in more than 15km/hr or 10 knots head on or quartering to is less fun but doeable, just slow, and wet. If the winds from behind when I'm heading out and forecasted to drop later in the day I'll still go. The lighter tinners don't smash through the chop like a heavy glass boat but they also don't dig in to the big rollers and ride higher on the swells when trolling or anchored. Picking the days on questionable days is more art than science and the odd time you just have to turn around and head home when the Lake's not as advertised. Yeah I'd rather have a 24' Grady White but gotta make do.

The erie windcast on the weather page here is a great tool. I look at the wind direction and that often makes the decision for me..... as to where we can go. South west wind is great for the inner bay and bluffs bar, good anywhere under 10 KMH. If the wind is out of the north, and light.....hastings and burwell are a good choice. If it is north or west and a stronger wind, TP to port dover are good options.

@quackers I bought a bigger boat but even with a 25 footer I agree with everything here. The big difference is I can move a bit quicker in the waves and stay dry... I would say that in having a bigger boat I am more willing to go out and see what the wind does because I am not too worried about making it back.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks