Wild boar (feral pigs) are becoming a huge concern in Canada with Video

Get Hooked

February 8, 2024

They go by many names – pigs, hogs, swine, razorbacks – but whatever you call them, wild pigs (Sus scrofa) are one of the most damaging invasive specials in North America. They cause millions of dollars in crop damage yearly and harbor dozens of pathogens that threaten humans and pets, as well as meat production systems.

Canada’s invasive ‘super pig’ population is set to explode. Should Ontario be worried?​

Wild Pigs in Ontario

WILD PIG PROTOCOL

If you think you’ve seen a wild pig, take a photograph, mark your location, and contact the Invading Species Hotline at 1-800-563-7711 or info@invadingspecies.com. The Invading Species Awareness Program is a partnership between the OFAH and the MNRF to address the increasing threats posed by invasive species in Ontario.

This Post to carry on what bassaholic Posted on July 14th 2019 Wild Pigs: https://www.longpoint.on.ca/forum/index.php?threads/wild-pigs.79190/

Don’t hold your breath contacting them! I heard wild pigs at the start of last bow season under my stand. My trail camera caught a small herd of them a few days later. From a huge boar all the way down to small piglets. I contacted the MNR and they gave me the number for this so called ‘wild pig hotline.’ I called and emailed. I recieved a reply and forwarded the pictures and that is where everything ended. Not a return call or email once they confirmed they were wild.

W
would they be good to eat? make a season to hunt them

There use to be a TV Show out of Texas called American Hoggers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Hoggers#:~:text=American Hoggers is an American,in the state of Texas

Many a time they showed roasting whole feral pigs on an open fire. The feral pigs here have their choice of grains (in season) and what ever other foods they can scavage and (may even?) have a better taste than domesticated pigs. Texas Hogs were extremely tasty and much leaner than pen- raised pork. The meat from older boars may be tougher and rank tasting if not prepared adequately. As with all pork, care should be taken and the meat well cooked. Otherwise, it should be prepared just like market hogs.

At that time the State Of Texas dId not pay hunters to kill hogs. Individual farmers and ranchers did, but not the State.

But now that is changing in Texas:

Feral Hogs can carry up to 30 transmittable livestock diseases and can harbor over 35 types of parasites. Now feral hog hunters can get paid for hunting pigs and make $5 and up to $10 per hog tail in sum Counties. From the Central Texas Feral Hog Task Force. Feb 3, 2023

Hog Hunters must attend the Feral Hog educational program offered by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service to be eligible to collect the bounty.

Last edited:
Hope they get on it ASAP and don’t let it get out of control……

https://www.ofah.org/issues/wild-pigs-in-ontario/

Ontario’s Strategy to Address the Threat of Invasive Wild Pigs

https://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/wildlife/wild-pigs-2/

Background - “Wild Pigs” is a catch-all term that refers to escaped wild boar, feral domestic pigs, and their hybrids. Native to Eurasia, these animals were first introduced to Canada in the 1980s as exotic livestock for meat. Resulting from farm escapes and intentional releases, wild pigs have already caused widespread problems in Canada’s prairie provinces and many American states.

From Facebook: Impacts of wild Pigs

Canadian Wild Pig Research Project - CWPRG​

Attachments

• WILD PIG.PNG
    WILD PIG.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Wild Pig Research Project.jpg
    Wild Pig Research Project.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Once you start hunting them they become way more weary and that’s why they are asking you not to hunt. They explained to me they usually attempt to trap a bunch similar to when they used to trap turkeys for relocation.

They don't promote hunting them but as a landowner you can kill them to protect your property. At which point it be time to fire up the smokehouse and/or BBQ ?
They don’t want people to start baiting for them etc. tends to make the problem worse. Also they learn to avoid hunting pressure and can pass that knowledge onto their off spring some how… is what I have read.
But yes shoot things if you happen to cross them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks