Off Topic Why you need a radio license.

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Boater: Mayday, Mayday my boat is taking on water and we are sinking.

Coast Guard: How many souls on board?

Boater: I don't know, nobody is wearing shoes.

Coast Guard: What is your position?

Boater : I am on the Starboard side sitting behind the Wheel.

Need I say more. Go get your marine radio license.

Good reminder @scrimmy and I hate to split hairs but we need to be clear that you are actually referring to a 'Radio Operators Certificate (ROC-M)" and not a Station License for the radio itself....it always seems to cause some confusion. Generally, pleasure craft operating in Canada do not need the Transport Canada station License.

Here are two places you can find in-class or on-line ROC-M courses:

https://boaterskills.ca/roc-m-radio-course/

https://www.cps-ecp.ca/ecommerce/course-calendar/

Good reminder @scrimmy and I hate to split hairs but we need to be clear that you are actually referring to a 'Radio Operators Certificate (ROC-M)" and not a Station License for the radio itself....it always seems to cause some confusion. Generally, pleasure craft operating in Canada do not need the Transport Canada station License.

Here are two places you can find in-class or on-line ROC-M courses:

https://boaterskills.ca/roc-m-radio-course/

https://www.cps-ecp.ca/ecommerce/course-calendar/
I actually was referring to both the ROC and the roc G Mech. 10-4 good buddy can you give me your 10-20 10-4

The boat that sank off KP last spring had a radio. Didn’t know how to use it… to the point we thought the call for help was a prank on a slow fishing day. It delayed our response a bit but we ended up responding. The boat sank as the passengers were off loaded. Another minute and they’d be in the water 39degsF. Having the radio probably saved 4 souls that day. Knowing how to use it would have given them better odds.

I met the owner of the Bayliner (that sunk off KP) at Port Glasgow as he was fishing there with a buddy. I was also fishing off KP last spring when it happened and he did make use of his radio to get help. He may not of used it to proper standards but he did get help. There was also a Starcraft Islander which was docked beside me at Port Franks that also sunk at the dock. I don't think if he used the radio properly it would have made any difference to how fast they were taken off the Bayliner.

I met the owner of the Bayliner (that sunk off KP) at Port Glasgow as he was fishing there with a buddy. I was also fishing off KP last spring when it happened and he did make use of his radio to get help. He may not of used it to proper standards but he did get help. I don't think if he used the radio properly it would have made any difference to how fast they were taken off the Bayliner.

I absolutely 100% disagree. Had he called a mayday on channel 16 the coast guard would have put out a request for help “mayday relay” We would have had coordinates. A description of the boat. How many people were on board and we would have arrived 5 - 7 minutes earlier. I wish I had a recording of the call for help. Not once did they call mayday. It certainly was not clear if the boat was sinking or if it was urgent. It eventually became clear but at that point it was already an emergency.

I absolutely 100% disagree. Had he called a mayday on channel 16 the coast guard would have put out a request for help “mayday relay” We would have had coordinates. A description of the boat. How many people were on board and we would have arrived 5 - 7 minutes earlier. I wish I had a recording of the call for help. Not once did they call mayday. It certainly was not clear if the boat was sinking or if it was urgent. It eventually became clear but at that point it was already an emergency.
I believe youre right. The purpose, IMHO, of the course is to teach people in an emergency when they are under stress how to make the call with the proper info needed in a pre-scripted format..which the course teaches you..ie

Mayday Mayday Mayday
This is (boat name) Daddys Dream Daddys Dream Daddys Dream
Mayday Daddys Dream
My location is 2 miles south of Erieau (lat long coordinates if available) N42 09 40 W81 48 44
Our boat is taking on water and sinking. We have no power. We need immediate assistance from Coast Guard, fire rescue, other boats
There are 4 people on board all in life jackets
The boat is a 22 foot Sea Ray, white with a blue top
Mayday Daddies Dream

Wait 1 minute for a response, then issue again..repeat until you get a response.

Trying to remember that info in a crisis can be difficult but with training its more likely you will get the info out

I agree that he should have used the proper technique to get help but I am just saying he did use the VHF and he did get help. Maybe not as fast as he could have but he did get help. I never did ask him if anyone on board had a license to use the radio but at least they did get help. It is still better to have a VHF on board then to have no way to ask for help.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks