Why Can't I Catch a Trout?

ch312

After a couple dozen trips out of Burwell I have caught plenty of walleye, sheephead and the odd perch, but not a single rainbow. We've used riggers with cheater lines, dipsys at all depths, planer boards, spoons, cranks and worm harnesses. Not a single trout.

Speeds have been from 1.8-3.2mph on the GPS in all sorts of directions from 40-60+ feet of water and from calm to "I shouldn't be fishing" rough.

What gives? Shouldn't I have at least snagged one by now?

Personally the past few seasons, rainbow trout seem to be an easier catch than the elusive walleye.

I have not caught any this season, but an old friend that i use to frequent on my craft has been catching the odd one here and there , but he is out in much deeper water when its happening (eg 70+)

Orange and black Spoon or orange crush seem to be popular baits to get them to Bite.

None for me either. Last ones I got were at the Elbow in deeper water. Down riggers went with old boat so I'm staying shallower now, have not missed them

The central basin has been absolutely stellar for walleye but bows and perch seem almost non-existent. Just 3 years ago bows were actually a pest at times where we couldn't keep them off the line when fishing wallys. Fishing out of Glasgow, Stanley and Bruce last year we caught only about a half dozen and this year just 2. AND perch???... well that's another story altogether. :banghead: :rolleyes:

I'm not just talking about this season, I've only been on a couple dozen trips to Burwell over a few years and have never caught a single one. It's easy to catch them on Lake Ontario, but nothing for me on this lake. It must be some sort of record?

Do you guys use any scents on lures when trolling?

If your running fast...Over 3MPH, you will have a better shot at the rainbows. I always find a little on the deeper side of the thermocline works best. Especially if you are marking bait ball of smelts on the bottom. However, we have caught several reeling a line in through the prop wash. They are certainly more aggressive.

The bows are out by the point. We catch them pretty much every time out. They hit body baits and worm harnesses, and of course spoons. They are in the deeper water.

The water off Burwell is warm right to the bottom at this point unless you are out a very, very long way. The trout prefer colder water so will be in deeper water now. We got a few back in early August and they were down near the bottom then but none for a while now, like @Jwalsh says, they've likely headed for the deep, cold water near the point.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks