Why are these Commercial nets not marked better?

Bassassin

It's a pet peeve of mine. I know they are going to be there but for safety sakes why are they marked so poorly? Some seem to be just white Javex bottles. Especially in wavy conditions and when the nets are full one can hardly see them. Some have flags you can't see some don't. Any commercial guys here or in the know that can tell me what markers are supposed to be in place and is there legislation as to what should be in place? If it just says "clearly marked" they aren't/

On the Oceans east and West all the stationary nets, Lobster and Crab pots are all clearly marked with those big red balls. Why not here? They must be waiting for a Coroners Report before something might be done I guess.

Last edited:
Excellent question- It should be mandated that these nets are well marked out in order to save anglers losing riggers or causing damage to our boats. I am surprised that there are not more regulations enforcing such a common sense measure.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I know they are going to be there but for safety sakes why are they marked so poorly? Some seem to be just white Javex bottles. Especially in wavy conditions and when the nets are full one can hardly see them. Some have flags you can't see some don't. Any commercial guys here or in the know that can tell me what markers are supposed to be in place and is there legislation as to what should be in place? If it just says "clearly marked" they aren't/

On the Oceans east and West all the stationary nets, Lobster and Crab pots are all clearly marked with those big red balls. Why not here? They must be waiting for a Coroners Report before something might be done I guess.

If I remember correctly You only have to mark the inside or one end of the net and the outside or the outer end of the net....If you see some floaters in a line it usually means the nets are suspended above bottom. For example "Walleye.
Perch nets are set right on bottom. When Walleye nets are suspended it usually means the water is too cold at the bottom of the lake.,so they are migrating from the west at a higher level in the water column.

They aren't N-S either. The red tug is putting most of them down but tends to mark them better. There is a blue tug that has the really badly marked and wacky lines... What is even crazier is that there is 0 identification on them. No where else can you get away with placing something that dangerous somewhere but have no ability to track the owner down.

I have been Googling exactly the legislation and all I can find is info not to run across them. There was some text on a PDF from Safe Boating Ontario saying there may be 2 yellow markers on each side of a net indicating an opening to drive a boat slowly through. That may be for a smaller body of water or a river. I remember a net on Quite at Big Island that had nothing marking them just a few poles in the water holding up the net on a shallow bay. One of our guys tore the thing up with the 9.9 and had to row back to the cottage. We went back to find the net full of Bass and Pike rotting. We pulled it into shore. It had to be a poachers ghost net.

Another remark was if you hand tackle up on a net report it to the net owner. Apparently the markers have the name and number of the operator on it. You may get tackle back, yea right. I'm not getting close enough to read the marker even if I lose tackle.

Today I went west from burwell I didn't see any nets on my way out but on are way back in I drove straight to port from 58ft n ended up face to face with 4 nets going north to south in 50ft they left a opening be tween each pair of nets so ppl could get through , I didn't see the nets until I was real close I had to back track n find the opening to get by .. They need bright colours for buoys white jugs just doesn't cut it !!!

Today I went west from burwell I didn't see any nets on my way out but on are way back in I drove straight to port from 58ft n ended up face to face with 4 nets going north to south in 50ft they left a opening be tween each pair of nets so ppl could get through , I didn't see the nets until I was real close I had to back track n find the opening to get by .. They need bright colours for buoys white jugs just doesn't cut it !!!

Did the opening have 2 yellow markers on each side to show it was an opening according to what I read today? Personally I have never seen this. One N to S net I watch dropped last year strait off the stacks was a mile long. I'm told nets N to S is for Pickerel and E to W perch or smelts.

all commercial fish tugs have transponders on they are tracked on a daily basis nets cannot be left in waters over 8 days otherwise a fine is dolted on them mnr knows exactly were every net is set how long and the fish count is in their command

all commercial fish tugs have transponders on they are tracked on a daily basis nets cannot be left in waters over 8 days otherwise a fine is dolted on them mnr knows exactly were every net is set how long and the fish count is in their command

Where are the transponders? If they know where they are set, sharing that information would help keep people out of trouble. Having been within a few feet of them out there I haven't seen anything that might identify the net on either end.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks