Why are there no massive pike in Erie like up north?

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
As the title asks. There are a bajillion pike in the lake and certainly no shortage of food. How come we don’t see 40 inchers like way up north? Faster growing? Different genetics?

We just don’t know how to target them?

Such a great question. I don’t know the answer, and I like all the thoughts posted so far. I do think fishing pressure is a big one- the LPB does see plenty including more ice fishing than many places. And likely it’s a combination of every answer.

Also, sandy bottom versus rocky lakes up north... with rocky lakes the big ones can hide, ambush and push schools of bait into corners and up shallow etc, but on a big sand flat all they can use are the weeds. That has to limit them and favour smaller fish.

It’s just a theory- but I think in many lakes pike are THE top predator and there are no other species that can fill that niche. That would mean in some places when the big pike get too hot in the shallows and head deeper they aren’t competing with rainbows etc for food.

Also, they say at ice out is the time to catch your biggest pike as the big females rest and take slow/easy meals after spawning but before moving a bit deeper. It’s the guaranteed way of knowing where big pike are- spawning bays. And so if no one is catching monsters then I start to wonder if there really are that many trophy size out there?

There is a commercial harvest of Pike at Long Point? I did not know that!
From the document @ http://www.glfc.org/pubs/lake_commi...nd_docs/East Basin Technical Report Final.pdf

The commercial fishery in the Ontario waters of eastern Lake Erie includes trawling for rainbow smelt, and gillnet fishing for walleye, yellow perch and lake whitefish. The commercial fishers operate out of Port Colborne, Port Maitland, Nanticoke and Port Dover. A fishery using hoop and seine nets occurs in the nearshore waters of Inner Long Point Bay. It harvests carp (Cyprinus carpio), bowfin (Amia calva), sunfish (Lepomis spp.), crappies (Pomoxis spp.), yellow perch and northern pike (Esox lucius). Most of these fish are marketed live. A hoop net fishery in the Grand River focuses on coarse fish. There are significant recreational fisheries in both U.S. and Canadian waters; offshore for walleye, rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), lake trout and pacific salmon species (Oncorhynchus spp.), and nearshore for yellow perch, smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieui), walleye, crappies and sunfish. A winter fishery for yellow perch, northern pike and sunfishes exists in Long Point Bay

Our record was 22lbs last year, but it wasn't in the inner bay. I believe there is some large northerns in the lake, but they are not in the inner bay until spawn. Look at the size of the muskies that are being caught off of the north shore.

Hey guys, I just got back in and just read this post. Cell phone service out there is very weak to nothing
But anyways, I have seen some big bruisers out there that gets me so excited and I can’t do a thing to catch them during my duck hunting season. An easy 15-20# or even more. So they do exist!!

There is some people that post pictures on other social media of their catch of pike that I would be ashamed to post. But to them it’s all about quantities being caught all day long.

Personally all of my pike that is harvested is in the range of 5-8# or bleeders. There is enough meat on them if you know how to properly clean them. If it’s a 8# or more it goes in the livewell hoping it will revive and then released. I strongly believe in catch and release just like the musky fishermen/fisherwomen.

Sorry for the little rant.

It is as much of a rush to watch the big ones swim away, as it is catching them.

I totally agree, only ones we keep are around 5 lbs, unless there is a bleeder. It is rare that any kept at all.

It would be nice one day to go out in the lake and catch some monsters. Here's hoping.

There is some people that post pictures on other social media of their catch of pike that I would be ashamed to post.
That's why I didn't post a report from this weekend. :D

Hey guys I caught a bunch of pike biggest being 4-5 lbs the rest small hammer handles and one 2-3 lbs largemouth.

I Got You Nod GIF by BrownSugarApp

:oops: any pics?
No. I have some pics of a 13 lb, but I don't always take pics. I lost a phone a few years ago. Fishing with a rookie, he didn't expect a large northern to get upset. I scrambled to get ahold of it before the pike got hurt and my 2 month old phone went for a swim. Was an expensive day.
So my phone is usually locked in the glove box. Lesson learned.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks