Off Topic Who makes the best boat trailer - help me buy my next trailer!

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
So I’m buying a boat that does not come with a trailer so I have an opportunity to buy the trailer I want/need.
im thinking a drop trailer, tandem axel, with electric brakes. Probably aluminum to reduce weight
What has been your experience with your trailer? Recommendations.., things to watch for?

Never bought a boat trailer but bought a lot of utility/ work trailers
Dont buy painted or even powder coated they rust within a year
Best is aluminum for weight and rust. second is galvanized
Get the sealed bearings dont have to worry about greasing
Also get a spare tire that's attached to the trailer and good quality tires
I always had bunks not rollers on my trailer for my boats so I'm not sure why or would the rollers be better

I got my boat and trailer from Trailerword in Branford they also manufacture themselves all sorts of trailers , price are competitive and I always had a great friendly service

For the best bang for your buck, Loadrite aluminum trailers. order with SS hardware/brake lines and self lubricating hubs. I ordered out of a dealer in Akron Ohio, even with FX, I saved $4k, picked it up, paid hst at the border and registered the trailer myself. Easy peasy! Mine is rated for 9200#, tandem with 16"rims, torsion springs, trailer is top notch!

For the best bang for your buck, Loadrite aluminum trailers. order with SS hardware/brake lines and self lubricating hubs. I ordered out of a dealer in Akron Ohio, even with FX, I saved $4k, picked it up, paid hst at the border and registered the trailer myself. Easy peasy! Mine is rated for 9200#, tandem with 16"rims, torsion springs, trailer is top notch!
WOW that must have been one hell of a trailer. The wasn't expecting to pay that much more for a trailer

I have hydraulic surge disc brakes on my trailer... you get away from the electrics and issues with them. putting the electric brakes in/out of water will rust the mechanisms and you will be working on them forever. Surge brakes operate with the weight of the boat/trailer combined. As you put your brakes on the truck/vehicle there is a hydraulic cylinder in the tongue that in turn actuates the disc brakes on the wheels. Harder you put the brakes on the harder the brakes on the trailer. Had my trailer for almost 20 years... great system.

My previous trailer had bunks and this trailer has rollers. I wont go back to bunks. With wonkie water levels i can put the boat in without trailer even being in water. I can crank it up by myself. 17ft side console
Also thumbs up for trailer world in brantford. Great service even after you buy it.

How big is your boat ? Take into account dry weight of boat plus full fuel tanks, plus motor, plus all the gear you need to be legal, plus any extra stuff we seem to sneak onboard... then you will know how big a trailer you will need. Will you be traveling a lot of distance with it ? Will it be in and out of the water a lot ? What does the manufacturer of the boat recommend ? Do you have the right size vehicle to tow the rig ? Just a few questions that you may want to think about.

I have a Karavan bunk for my 22' Trophy. Its all galvanized including the rims. It has surge disc brakes, a swing tongue, self lube bearings, etc. Tows beautifully.
karavan.jpg

How big is your boat ? Take into account dry weight of boat plus full fuel tanks, plus motor, plus all the gear you need to be legal, plus any extra stuff we seem to sneak onboard... then you will know how big a trailer you will need. Will you be traveling a lot of distance with it ? Will it be in and out of the water a lot ? What does the manufacturer of the boat recommend ? Do you have the right size vehicle to tow the rig ? Just a few questions that you may want to think about.
Appreciate, the advice... I have been been doing a lot of reading past few days...

Boat is 21' 2700lbs dry plus outboard etc I am thinking I need a trailer with a 5000lb capacity
I will not be travelling more then a 200kms away for the majority of my trips... most of them will be under 1km
It will be in and out a fair amount... at least once a week from May to October
My truck maximum tow is 6800lbs... this is why I really want the electric brakes... I have towed dump trailers fully loaded at 6000 lbs but with electric brakes... was no problem once I adjusted the settings correctly

Never bought a boat trailer but bought a lot of utility/ work trailers

I always had bunks not rollers on my trailer for my boats so I'm not sure why or would the rollers be better

I had to stop a guy from unhooking the safety chain on his buddy's boat he and wife had borrowed up at Lake of Bays.

His boat trlr had bunks, his buddy's had rollers.

I hear lower units don't care for the sudden stop.

The boat would be stored on the trailer so from what I have read bunks are better, as rollers do not support the boat as evenly and can leave indents in the hull over time.

Ive had both roller and bunk trailers.
Roller makes it easy to load esp on questionable ramps.
However, they are IMHO tougher to get the boat centered in windy or rough water conditions. On a trailer I had for an 18' Starcraft SS 180 I added a couple extra center rollers and side trailer posts which helped.
My 18' Lund Alaskan was a bunk and I loved it. A bit harder to slide off on shallow ramps but a dream to load. The bunk trailers usually allow the boat to sit lower so trailering is a bit better. The hull support is also far superior, esp with an aluminum hull.
The 22 Trophy Pro I just bought is a bunk, and thats what is recommended due to the weight. Again, lower slung on the road, great support.
Most any of the ramps Ill be using for this boat will be marina concrete ramps made for this type of application. If I was looking at a smaller boat trailer for maybe smaller ramps, inland lakes, etc a roller might be easier.

Bought new from here 3 years ago. No one could touch his price and he brought down to Port Glasgow and set it up to my boat. I went with hot dipped galvanized.

Bought new from here 3 years ago. No one could touch his price and he brought down to Port Glasgow and set it up to my boat. I went with hot dipped galvanized.

I think they might be out of business, the number is a spam number and the email bounces back.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks