Where's the perch ?

Rob V

I'm having a devil of a time trying to find any numbers of perch this spring. I didn't get out early this spring but have been out 3 or 4 times in the last two months with little success to speak of. I caught a few in the bay (boating channel) before the sanctuary was imposed but haven't found any since. I've tried off of potahawk and yesterday went out to bluff's. I manage to find one or two here and there while slowly moving around but when I catch one and hold on that spot can't drum up any more action ? What's the deal ? Anyone else experiencing the same thing ? Is it time to start searching in the lake instead ?

Using what and at what depth? We did very well there a week ago using minnows in 15fow.
Bluffs or pottahawk? Not looking for coordinates, but taking my fiancé out tomorrow afternoon, and she’s hoping for some perch, as our last outing resulted in a goose egg.. was all over the bay west of the sanctuary

again - that's where i looked - for most of the length of the bar. on that note when you say inside the bar you're talking the south side (vs the bay side) - correct ?
That is correct.

I'm having a devil of a time trying to find any numbers of perch this spring. I didn't get out early this spring but have been out 3 or 4 times in the last two months with little success to speak of. I caught a few in the bay (boating channel) before the sanctuary was imposed but haven't found any since. I've tried off of potahawk and yesterday went out to bluff's. I manage to find one or two here and there while slowly moving around but when I catch one and hold on that spot can't drum up any more action ? What's the deal ? Anyone else experiencing the same thing ? Is it time to start searching in the lake instead ?
I have been looking as well.no success as of yet .frustrating

I've got some in my freezer but they came off the pier in Pt Bruce and it hasn't exactly been "on fire" and my numbers are down a bit from last year at this time. It's been some fairly long days, especially on the "better" days I've had so far this year. (May 24, 26 and June 9 have been my best days so far )

I started on May 11 and and the first 4 times I went I only managed to catch a total of 5 yellows. Then I had a pretty good week a few weeks ago, then back to "ok" the following week, but nothing spectacular to speak of in terms of size or numbers, (30 was my best day so far and the biggest I've caught so far has been 10" )

Then last Friday I came home with 18 but again, although the ones I brought home were big enough to bring for the car ride, there were no 10" ones and certainly weren't any "jumbos." I haven't yet seen any yellows caught while I've been there this year that were bigger than 10"

Not sure when I'll be going this week. Depends on what mother nature has in mind. I might take a chance and go tomorrow, or I might wait until either Wed, Thurs, or Fri, maybe all three if I don't go tomorrow, or maybe none of them.

The other thing I've noticed over the past few years is that there are few people posting about any perch success and that could be because people have been having a hard time finding them, walleye/pickerel have been so easy to find, or they are finding them, but they're keeping it to themselves. I know a lot of the time when I'm sitting on the pier and I see boats out where the perch "usually" are found, anyone coming in from that general area has given me >> 🤷‍♂️ when I ask how they did.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks