Off Topic Where were you on this day 19 years ago?

The impact of this event continues to this day. Those of us who flew before 9/11 remember it was like getting on a bus - none of the security lines, TSA etc etc etc. Buy your ticket, get there an hour before your flight and board - tada! Crossing the border into the US / Canada used to be like lining up for a redlight. The article attached here is interesting - especially because it was written 10 years ago. https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyt...8/us/sept-11-reckoning/cost-graphic.html?_r=1
I read an article about the same time as this one that the response to the events of 9/11 exceeded in real dollar costs the entire NASA expense for the entire Appolo lunar landings program. While these costs may have made us safer from similar situations, the drain on the economy to finance these costs has been to the detriment of other programs and investments that could have been made. They cost money but add no value to the economy.
It changed the western world as we knew it. And no one has an effective solution to what caused it.

So today is the anniversary of a day when we all know where we were when we heard about the events of this day 19 years ago. Where were you? I was working for ATCO, who was the Canadian Air Cargo/Purolator delivery agent in Yellowknife and at that time. We operated out of the Canadian Air Cargo hangar at the airport.

I showed up to work just as the news about the first plane was breaking. We all stood around the tv watching and saw the second plane hit the second tower. Eventually, the boss came and told us to get the vans loaded and get out and get as much delivered as we could just in case they shut the airports down. (don't know if he'd heard something or just had a feeling.) So we did as instructed and downtown I went with a full van, made all my deliveries, heard another plane had hit the Pentagon, and another crashed in Pennsylvania and that they had closed the airspace and that a plane that normally would never have landed at the airport in Yellowknife, had done so, and then headed back out to the airport to reload. The road I normally would've taken, blocked by heavily armed RCMP, directed to the main entrance, where I was stopped again by another group of heavily armed RCMP, and asked my business. So, I told them where I was going and what I was doing there. They allowed me to enter the airport property but ONLY to go to the Canadian Air Cargo hangar where I was to remain until we were told we could leave. Everyone else was told the same thing. So we watched the tv, watched the RCMP, looked at that plane which we could see from the hangar, and waited for the RCMP to come and tell us we could leave and go home which eventually they did a few hours later than we normally would've been finished. Scary day that changed the world as we knew it.
Was pouring a concrete floor at my dads shop. Neighbor ran over and said the states is under attack...decided to go in a turn tv on.

Remember distinctly,,,,Was at work welding with a co worker listening to the radio. It came on that a small plane had flown into onr of the twin towers in New York. We both looked at each other and commented on how a plane could not see those tall buildings and fly into it. We said was the sun in the pilots eyes? Shook our heads went to work.Came back on a few minutes later that a second plane had flown into the other tower,,we said to each other at the same time, this was no accident. And the news just coming, needless to say things slowed down at IMT that day.

I was at Rotten Ronnies buying bait. My friend and I were laid off that week. Stared in shock at the planes crashing into the towers. I said to my friend, isn't anyone going to fight back? Found out later about the brave people on flight 93. Hope to make it to that crash sight to pay my respects one day...

I was working an afternoon shift that week . Was up having my morning java , playing on the pc, had the tv on and the news showed the first plane and then the second hit live . Total disbelief and shock , a very sickning feeling .
In 2014 my oldest daughter and I did a bus tour to NYC for 4 days and one of those days we visited the memorial site . Beautifully done but the feeling when stepping on those grounds was mind blowing . I`ve never had every hair on my body stand on end like that . A feeling I`ll never forget .

I remember it very well. I was bass fishing in a small lake near Owen Sound with Darryl Chronzy and the fellow who was the Canadian Tire Tackle buyer at the time. In those days we didn't all have our faces glued to a smart phone all day so we had no idea what was going on. We had a wonderful day fishing but were shocked after we loaded the boat and turned the radio on in the truck. By that time all that was being reported was the aftermath, flights grounded, airports and border closed, military scrambled. No reporting of what had happened. Of course our minds were thinking the worst (world war, nuclear attack or accident etc). When we got to Owen Sound we went into a Montana's where everyone was gathered around the TV. It actually felt like a bit of relief that is was "only" planes going into buildings. Our minds had already taken us to even darker scenarios.

A day which started very happy suddenly became very somber.

Working the Outdoor Farm Show near Woodstock. We shut the booth down and went home. Not everyone did which is ok but my company is US based so we did. Then watched the news until I couldn’t stand seeing it anymore.

I won't comment on everything you said Vlad, don't wanna get into any political arguments, that's not why I posted this. So I'll just talk about what I quoted, and you're right, it does still feel like it happened yesterday. Hard to believe it's been 19 years. But then again, as someone else said to me when we were discussing it the other day, when something like what happened that day, happens, you realize you're witnessing a major historical moment as it happens and that stays with you.

For our fathers it was perhaps Vietnam, and the Cuban Missle Crisis. For our grandfathers, it was perhaps Korea, the dawning of the atomic/nuclear age, the attack on Pearl Harbor and earlier than that, the beginning of WW2 and everything that led up to it from 1918-1939. For our great grandfathers, perhaps it was the invention of the automobile, the airplane, the assassination in Sarajevo and the beginning of WW1 and the Great Depression.

In my lifetime some of the bigger historical moments that perhaps my grandchildren will learn about in school all happened after I had graduated. Some of them at the time I didn't think much about, others I KNEW they would have some kind of historical importance. The end of Cold War, The Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan, Desert Shield and Desert Storm, Afghanistan after 9-11, Iraq again in 2003, maybe Clinton's impeachment, maybe more recently, Trump's impeachment. (Although it was only briefly discussed, I learned about Nixon's resignation after Watergate in school in the mid 80's even though it really had nothing to do with this country) and of course 9-11 just to name a few things of historical significance that have happened in my almost 50 years.

But out of all them, plus things I haven't mentioned, the one that sticks with me the most is 9-11 because of what happened that day, and how much it changed the world we live in, and because I have multiple family members who served, (some still are) and were deployed there and served on the front lines, 9-11 is followed very closely by Afghanistan, which is followed by Desert Shield and Desert Storm because what happened during that conflict very much played a part in what happened on 9-11, ten years later. Think about it, for the past 30+ years, since Desert Shield which became Desert Storm, the US and their allies in one way or another have had a combat ready fighting force in the Middle East. There's a reason for that and I think it's a safe assumption to make that we all know what that reason is.

My comment was not political at all and I don't understand what are you trying to say. When 9/11 happened, there were 2 groups of people in the world, the good people, who were stunned and shocked and saddened and scared and you-name-it (including all Israelis) about what happened, and the bad people, who were celebrating when other people died and towers went down (including many of your beloved Terroristinians). And this has some significance and it is one of the things that I will never forget. And neither should all fair-minded people.

My comment was not political at all and I don't understand what are you trying to say. When 9/11 happened, there were 2 groups of people in the world, the good people, who were stunned and shocked and saddened and scared and you-name-it (including all Israelis) about what happened, and the bad people, who were celebrating when other people died and towers went down (including many of your beloved Terroristinians). And this has some significance and it is one of the things that I will never forget. And neither should all fair-minded people.
Sent you a PM. Won't discuss it further beyond that. :)

Out of all of the politicians who acknowledged and posted remembrance of 9/11 on their social media’s Justin Trudeau is the only one who did not.
Liberals don’t represent Canadians very well.

Back