Where to get started fishing the big water?

Hi everyone!

I feel like a total newb asking this. I've fished the inner bay for many years from a small boat, but this year we finally upgraded to a 20' and I'm looking forward to getting out in the bigger water for some eyes, trout, midsummer smallmouth, etc. Problem is, I have no idea what to do out there. I can drag a tube near Millionaires or rip a crankbait through the reeds off EC5 with the best of them, but that's all I've ever done. Any tips on how to get started in the outer bay, or out of Maitland or Colborne?
All the info that I see on this post is bang on. Here is another thing... remember your numbers on the line counter reels...put your lures 10 to 15 feet above the fish. If the fish are up high in the column....run longer leads on riggers.... and check them often....Make sure your dypsy is on the right side of the boat... :) ? :) ? ?

Go big or go home eh @Ticker LOL :ROFLMAO:

The date of the file is August 1 2019, I think 3 weeks before autopilot was installed.

I remember the BIL was on the boat that day, and there were some slip sliding in the waves and some irregular patterns run that day. LOL

Go big or go home eh @Ticker LOL :ROFLMAO:

The date of the file is August 1 2019, I think 3 weeks before autopilot was installed.

I remember the BIL was on the boat that day, and there were some slip sliding in the waves and some irregular patterns run that day. LOL
Lol happens to all of us
Reminds me fishing with my budy his first time using his new baitcaster , second cast and the ? show starts
I'm telling him to just cut all the line out ? , but no not him spends 30 minutes while I'm catching fish ?and him getting madder? by the minute, finally he says I would cut it but got no extra line ?, I got 6 spare pools in the boat telling him? , needless to say if I wasn't much bigger than him he would have thrown me out of the boat ???
Ahhh priceless moments

If your fishing the outer bay get out past the gas line . Set up and and head south. Get a fish the work that area. Nothing says fun like a fish hitting your lure when you've got a birds nest in you hand. Great to hand bomb a rainbow. I also only run 4 lines 2 dipsey /riggers and 2 lead core on clip on planner boards. You don't need riggers west of the point. Leadcore sucks with all that line out and dipseys are a pain when they don't release/ tangle. Both catch fish really well. 7 colours and a diving lure will get you zebra mucsles. from bottom. 5 colours is usually enough. I like to start with 9 or 10 colours on the reel (need a big reel) as it will shorten up due to trimming .

If your fishing the outer bay get out past the gas line . Set up and and head south. Get a fish the work that area. Nothing says fun like a fish hitting your lure when you've got a birds nest in you hand. Great to hand bomb a rainbow. I also only run 4 lines 2 dipsey /riggers and 2 lead core on clip on planner boards. You don't need riggers west of the point. Leadcore sucks with all that line out and dipseys are a pain when they don't release/ tangle. Both catch fish really well. 7 colours and a diving lure will get you zebra mucsles. from bottom. 5 colours is usually enough. I like to start with 9 or 10 colours on the reel (need a big reel) as it will shorten up due to trimming .
Is that gas line marked on Navionics?

Thank you everyone! Great info here. I'm going to start with a couple of dipsy rods and see what happens.

Any eyes this time of year in the east basin? I'd like to try something before I get focused on bass after opener. Also any lure suggestions to try?

Let the floodgates open. We all have our favourites. Some basics; rippling red fins, silver and black, and gold and orange I think. Those always work. For spoons I like 3” size ; greasy chicken, nascar, pink panties, Walmart.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks