WHERE IS THE ICE

marketman

First we have rain. Next came the snow. So ice should come next? Hoping for the first week of February. Or sooner.

After all the wind Monday night the bay is mostly open again but I still have faith we'll get some hard water fishing yet

Monday afternoon bay ice looks pretty good survived the warm temps Saturday Wednesday or Thursday I'll cut some test holes and measure the thickness

Walked off port Rowan after work today cut half a dozen holes average ice thickness about 4 inches with tape measure

Mixed but mostly nice dark Color like I said though that was off port Rowan I can't say how the rest of the bay might be

Anybody wandering around St Williams walking the dog or checking out the ice could you take a picture and post looking out from Grangers and Bayside hut rentals location. Would be appreciated. Thanks, Huron.

Tuesday January 26 aft work bay looks rough shape from port Rowan it looks like all the pressure cracks have opened up quite wide with open water all this wind ain't doing it any good I got my fingers crossed we'll still have a little season left this weekend just didn't quite scratch the itch

Last edited:
Going out on sketchy ice is a good way for a die hard to do just that, die hard. People are going through the ice all across the province. A pal just went through the "safe" ice way up north on his sled. Lost the sled and almost lost his life leaving 6 kids and a pregnant wife at home. I told him he was stupid because it was a stupid move. For a few perch? Would you play road hockey on the 401? Or go out 5 miles in a 14 footer and 9.9 in 1 metre waves? If you answer yes to either question no one can change your mind, good fishing.

There is ice beyond Huntsville. Last weekend there were quite a few huts out on Nippising. We are one hour north of North Bay and there isapprox. 7 inches. Compared to last year's 18". Even the snowmobile trails had not been groomed as of last weekend. Motels/restaurants are crying the blues.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks