Off Topic Where do you guys buy batteries for trolling?

Ok thanks ,I fish usually once a week so I charge it after each trip.But once it charges I guess it would be good to unplug it?.Its a Lund with on board charger

Ok thanks ,I fish usually once a week so I charge it after each trip.But once it charges I guess it would be good to unplug it?.Its a Lund with on board charger
Perfect. Normally I charge my batteries overnight- for a good 12hrs and your good to go! Good luck and happy fishin.

As long as you have a quality onboard charger with a microprocessor that controls all output your batteries can be left plugged in without fear of boiling over. I leave mine plugged in 24/7/365 with no problems whatsoever. I check periodically to make sure the fluid levels are up which is absolutely necessary or you could boil batteries regardless of how you charge them if the plates are not fully covered with fluid. Batteries that are properly maintained and trickle charged so they are kept fully charged last longer as well then periodic charging. The microprocessor insures they are not overcharged nor undercharged of which both factors are equally important to battery life.

Great Northern Batteries on Parkdale.
Just bought 3x group 27deep cycle- $109 each.
Proctors wanted $169 each:

I called GNB at wood bridge yesterday, they ask 129 or 139 + core($15). I believe it's fair price, not not worth a trip compare to Costco.

just called GNB at Hamilton, Deep cycle group 27 flooded is $119 with your old battery for exchange.

anyone know if Costco need return an old battery to avoid core charge?

Last edited:
Yes @Jsyangyu Costco charges a "core charge" (deposit) which is refunded if you return the old battery to their store. They take care of disposal. Bring your old battery/batteries with you then after the purchase of new ones bring the old batteries in with your bill for a refund at the customer service desk. :)

As long as you have a quality onboard charger with a microprocessor that controls all output your batteries can be left plugged in without fear of boiling over. I leave mine plugged in 24/7/365 with no problems whatsoever. I check periodically to make sure the fluid levels are up which is absolutely necessary or you could boil batteries regardless of how you charge them if the plates are not fully covered with fluid. Batteries that are properly maintained and trickle charged so they are kept fully charged last longer as well then periodic charging. The microprocessor insures they are not overcharged nor undercharged of which both factors are equally important to battery life.

I've been doing the same as Wave Runner same batteries for the last 4 years Minn Kota 2 bank, soon as it goes in the garage it's plugged in, I've left it plugged in for weeks in the winter.

Someone once told me there are only a few companies that actually make batteries. When the truck delivers batteries, they slap a different label on it dependent on who the retailer is

Someone once told me there are only a few companies that actually make batteries. When the truck delivers batteries, they slap a different label on it dependent on who the retailer is
Your right on that On
I think your right on that. Scribe

Winter months, bring batteries into house where it is warm and dry. Place on wood and charge every two weeks to 100 %. While batteries are in boat, charge up to 100 % when coming back from each and every outing.

A battery "cycle" is one complete discharge and recharge cycle. It is usually considered to be discharging from 100% to some point not lower than 20%, and then charging back up to 100%. Battery life is directly related to how deep the battery is cycled each time. If a battery is discharged to only 50% each cycle, it will last about twice as long as if it is cycled to 20%. Running the battery down totally flat will have a very negative effect on the lifespan of the battery. See the table below for voltages as related to depth of discharge. This chart is designed to be used when monitoring a battery under load. This chart is a little more useful to the average RVer, as we are most interested in monitoring the state of charge of our battery bank while it is actually in use. See the Testing your batteries section below for information on determining open circuit state of charge using either a volt meter or a specific gravity tester.

Voltage State of Charge
12.6+ 100%
12.5 90%
12.42 80%
12.32 70%
12.20 60%
12.06 50%
11.9 40%
11.75 30%
11.58 20%
11.31 10%
10.5 0%

Avoid discharging the battery below the 40% level whenever possible.

I have a Marine Costco battery and an Interstate group 29 that have both been excellent.
I have had a few Costco batteries and after 2 or 3 years in the boat they go into a tractor on the farm. One is in it's 6th year and starts a diesel all winter. I think they have the best no hassle warranty, if you have the receipt.
When I return something at Costco and I don't have the receipt they look the item on my Costco Mastercard and refund me. Just bought a new battery for my tow vehicle. According to Consumer Reports, Kirkland batteries are among the best. Made by Johnson Controls. Average life expectancy for an automotive battery is 5 years. My Ford Edge battery lasted 7 years. Hope this helps. Cheers

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks