When do the bows stage up

jayway

Again im a Lake ERIE ROOKIE THIS YEAR so please have patience with me.
i know the bows start running the rivers around October.
I was wondering if guys try trolling close to shore around the end of this month kind of like what you see off the Bayfield Pier or outside the Nottawesaga (i know spelling sucks).
Thanks for any help

If you are able to trailer your boat ,lake Ontario is still producing great steelhead action , I have gone out of Grimsby for the last 3 weeks and havent missed yet . They are in the 60-90 foot range in the morning and move out to the 120-200 range later (after 10 am) Keep your lures in the 45- 60 range . This weekend is looking good ! Just watch out for a NE blow as it can be very bumpy then .Cheers:)

you can try trolling or drifting and casting little cleos in front of port ryerse, average 3 or 4 in morning, with mid-october being peak time

if your hitting 3 or 4 a night in September - I want what your using!!! Most guys I've seen are going home empty handed. They certainly are persistent for having minimal success. Id say the ratio of casts per fish is 1000:1 lol - I think it's a little early for rainbows, maybe the odd one or two but there certainly are browns kicking around.

Be patient my friends they will come

I would try little cleos, alligators, daredevils (Imps), Mepps #3 & #4 and Rapalas

Wojo

Shotgun may mean 3 or 4 IN the morning. As in am. This is when some of the very successful anglers go out. Crazy early lol. I was told that as soon as the sun comes up the bows head out to deeper water. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. I'm not getting out of bed that early [:I]

I cannot figure port Ryerse out for rainbows. I have tried off the mouth several times in April both from shore with row bags and in a canoe trolling rapallas and casting cleos. Have never caught a trout. Sounds like fall is better than the spring. I have seen some massive carp rolling though.

Iceout, fall is definitely better. I have more success int PM from a boat. As you can see, some of the other guys prefer the AM. I tend to fish more to the east. I usually don't start until October when things heat up. But this year I got three on august 4th or 5th. But i Haven't really been out due to the hot burwell action!

Thanks for the info Buckster, much appreciated. Are you fishing close to shore? Do you launch in Port Dover?

You could launch in Dover, non always Nessecary pending the size of the boat. I don't troll but I bet you could get away with an electric. Usually I just drift and cast. Spoons, body baits (every one has their favourites) or let out some line and drift roe bags. Which I prefer in late October -November - Get that scent trail going:)

In all honesty though, it's not the best place around that" time of year" for pursuing steelhead or other salmonids. But, it's a nice relaxing fish if you don't mind alot of casting.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks