When did possession limit change?

Twister

So I checked the regs after shooting my mouth off. Damned if I wasn't wrong possession and catch limits are the same for everything but perch. Not sure when that changed didn't it used to be 6 pikeyes a day and 12 possession?
Tough rule too stock up the freezer with.

I moved back to this area in 2008. It's been 50 daily and 100 possession for perch and 6 daily and 6 possession for Walleye (zone 19) and 4 walleye daily and 6 possession zone 16 since at least then.

Checked the 2023 regs and it's not like that now. I was surprised to see the change. Guess you need to check every year or you'll end up breaking rules you don't know changed

What's changed?? The Zone 19 yellow perch possession limit was increased from 50 to 100 in 2015 to be more in line with Lake Simcoe but Walleye has be C-6 P-6 since Moses was young boy. If it was P-12 at one time it was decades ago, I have the 2006 regs and it was 6 back then and I am pretty sure it was well before then too. In the older regs it was only listed under Provincial possession limits though meaning that's how many you can have total regardless of where they came from.

Last edited:
I must be older than dirt because for years I can remember catch was 6 and possession was 12 up until around 1998 or somewhere close to that.

Checked the 2023 regs and it's not like that now. I was surprised to see the change. Guess you need to check every year or you'll end up breaking rules you don't know changed
Definitely doesn’t hurt to have look see every year to be sure you don’t go offside

I must be older than dirt because for years I can remember catch was 6 and possession was 12 up until around 1998 or somewhere close to that.
I think it was like that back in the 80's as I recall too Wayne That said, I can't find anything to say for certain when it changed but, It certainly was before the internet was a thing and 100% wasn't 2023.

@Dmanwithnoname... They know for certain that pickerel fillets come from the store. :jawdrop:
But if they were walleye they would definitely know they were illegal. :smuggrin:
Relax you don't have nothing to worry about my friend. 😂

So being the devils advocate… if I went to the grocery store and froze a $100 worth of pickerel fillets how would they know what I legally kept fishing in walleye. Asking for a friend.

They just assume the worst and take you to jail. That's how they roll.

Glasses No GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

So being the devils advocate… if I went to the grocery store and froze a $100 worth of pickerel fillets how would they know what I legally kept fishing in walleye. Asking for a friend.
That's why they tell you to keep the receipt if you bought'em. (like we're all gonna keep a receipt we likely forget about 10-15 minutes after we left the store, and that a week later might have found it's way through the wash when doing laundry)

Definitely doesn’t hurt to have look see every year to be sure you don’t go offside
Yeah I check them every year for the zones I fish in (or might) save them to the computer for quick reference at home and so I can print off any pages necessary if there are any changes that would impact me and put them in the book I have in my chair for fishin the pier. Has come in handy several times when explaining things to others who either don't know, or don't care what the regs say.

Possession limit in your house is not per fishing license holder it's per people living there as you can gift your fish away and that becomes the gifted person Possession , you can not possess over the catch / possession limit in your boat or vehicle on your way home and claim you gifting it
My household 3 people all with fishing licenses we don't need to keep all the fish for ourselves as it be too much ,and give away most to friends when people find out I'm gone fishing for a day I get a lot of enquiry about how the fishing is 🙄😏🤣

Possession limit in your house is not per fishing license holder it's per people living there as you can gift your fish away and that becomes the gifted person Possession , you can not possess over the catch / possession limit in your boat or vehicle on your way home and claim you gifting it
My household 3 people all with fishing licenses we don't need to keep all the fish for ourselves as it be too much ,and give away most to friends when people find out I'm gone fishing for a day I get a lot of enquiry about how the fishing is 🙄😏🤣
Some people surprised when I give away all my fish after fishing..
well I keep ones or two fish and eat it that night or the following night. And the rest are gifted as soon as they are cleaned to neighbour friends or family.
Some family don’t even want them cleaned haha perfect! They are my favourite to gift them to

Back